Ahead of the official International CES 2014 show taking place next week in Las Vegas, tonight Griffin, alongside a number of other companies, debuted new products at the official CES Unveiled press event. We told you earlier about the company’s new Square card reader case (the first of Square’s partners for a new program that will see similar products released in the future), but Griffin also had other Apple related products on show tonight including new audio accessories, a bluetooth controller for Mac, and more.
Square has just launched a new service called Square Cash, which allows quick money transfers between any two parties using through an email. Contrary to what you might be expecting, you don’t need to sign up or get all of your friends onto Square Cash to share funds. Instead, you just need to link a debit card to your account.
Square announced a new product called Square Stand for vendors using Square Register for iPad to process payments.
Square Stand features the familiar credit card reader that made Square so popular with smartphone and tablet owners. The stand looks to replace traditional POS cash registers by mounting an iPad in a stylish case that resembles Apple’s iMac desktop computers. Read more
Mobile digital payment company Square announced today on its blog that it will begin selling a “Business in a Box” solution that will act as a full point-of-sale system for iPad-toting business owners. The hardware package starts at $299 and includes two Square Readers, a Heckler Design WindFall iPad Stand, and an APG Vasario 1616 Cash Drawer (as pictured above). For an extra $300, bringing the total price of the package to $599, Square will throw in a Star Micronics TSP143L Receipt Printer. We were able to find all the pieces of the package online (minus the free Square readers) for around $480, although that’s before any taxes or shipping costs.
Neighborhood merchants are increasingly adopting Square Register for its simple interface, smart analytics, continuous updates, and low processing fees. With Business in a Box for Square Register, merchants can now simplify their countertop with an affordable and comprehensive package that includes two Square Readers, an iPad stand, a cash drawer, and an optional receipt printer. All work wirelessly with Square Register.
Business owners can learn more about the “Business in a Box” package here. Video of how Almond Surfboards use Square register above.
Square Register version 2.5: Square is rolling out Passbook compatible gift cards for local businesses that users of the Square Wallet iPhone app can purchase and share with friends. To welcome the new feature, Square’s Register app also gets an update with the ability to accept the new gift cards via Square Wallet, Passbook, or QR code, as well as iPhone 5 support:
- Accept gift cards for your business from Square Wallet, Passbook and printed QR codes.
- iPhone 5 support and various improvements.
Instagram: Instagram has released a pretty big update to its app this afternoon, adding a revamped camera and camera roll access. Additionally, there are new grids for easy photo taking, new filter access page, and the addition of Foursquare data.
- Instagram-themed shutter & shutter release button.
- A preview of the most recent photo on your camera roll.
- Improved Camera Roll image selector (iPhone 5 only) for quick access to your last photograph.
- Optional grid guide for live photos and a permanent grid guide for the scale & crop screen.
- Speed and reliability improvements.
BBC News version 1.7.7: Official iPhone 5 support for the BBC News iOS app:
- iPhone 5 support
- bug fixes
British Airways version 4.0: A big update to the BA iPhone app brings a completely redesigned UI that provides easy access to upcoming flights from the My Flights screen, as well as improvements for retrieving bookings and alternative boarding pass options. The updated app is also now fully iPhone 5 and iOS 6 compatible.
We’ve completely redesigned the app to make it easier to access all your upcoming flights and to address a number of issues
Snapheal version 2.1: Snapheal for Mac received an update today that includes a new and improved UI, a new crop tool, a “new algorithm for image retouch and adjust,” and much more:
- Brand new look and improved user experience, including 1 click to erase objects, faster selection, better way to save and share images, etc.
- New crop tool
- New algorithm for image retouch and adjust: faster performance, better color processing
- Enhanced lasso tool
- Improved algorithms for erasing multiple objects
- New clone&stamp tool, with better customization of brush opacity and softness
Instamac version 1.1: The recently launched Instamac Instagram client for Mac receives a ton of UI refinements, full Retina display support for Retina MacBook Pros, improved slideshow features, and more.
-We’ve spent a lot of time going through each and every user interface element to make Instamac the most elegant Instagram Client for the Mac.
BOO! The pigs are hiding in their spookiest location yet: a haunted house! The Angry Birds will have to brave ghosts and ghouls to get their eggs back — if they can survive the house first! Are your eyes playing tricks on you or did that painting just move?!
-Explore the scary secrets of the brand new haunted house!
-Try to survive 30 all new spooky levels!
-Shiver and shake to the ghostly new Halloween music!
-Use the brand new ghost bricks for fun trick shots!
-Say hello to Frankenswine and the other pigs, all dressed up for Halloween!
Square Register version 2.4: Square is officially rolling out its payment service internationally today with the Canadian launch and an updated Square Register iOS app. Full details in the company’s press release here.
- Square Register is now available in Canada!
- Integration with iOS Facebook framework (iOS 6+)
- Improved performance when saving large images
- Fixed freeze after sharing via email
- Fixed video playback on youtube.com (iPhone and iPod)
- Performance and stability fixes
- Added support for iOS 4.2.1
- Various iOS 6 related fixes
Music Unlimited version 1.2: The iOS app for Sony’s subscription music service gets a decent update today with the ability to “Create channels inspired by your favorite artists” and more:
· My Channels – Create channels inspired by your favorite artists.
· Playlist management – Create and edit playlists on your mobile device.
· Some features have been improved.