In this week’s top stories: More details and expectations for Apple’s October event, rumors of a new iPad mini, Phil Schiller explains what’s behind the iPhone XR and iPhone XS naming, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple stories.
Sylvania HomeKit Light Strip
Last week, Apple officially confirmed its October event, and this week details and expectations continued to leak. First off, a graphic designer created a set of renders imagining the new iPad Pro models Apple is expected to unveil with edge-to-edge displays and more.
Meanwhile, Apple this week registered three new desktop Macs in the Eurasian Economic Competition Database. These new Macs likely relate to the new iMac and Mac mini models we will see at Apple’s event next week.
Ming-Chi Kuo was also out with a new investor note this week in which he predicted that Apple has a new iPad mini in the works with “an upgraded processor and a lower-cost panel.” Kuo says it’s unclear when this device will be released, however, so it could be next week, but the more likely scenario is next spring.
It was reported this week that Samsung is suing its own brand ambassador for $1.6 million after he was found to be using an iPhone. Samsung has denied that it is suing the man, but would not comment on whether or not it is seeking money back.
This week also marked the release of the iPhone XR. Early reviews of the device praised its affordability in comparison to the iPhone XS, and noted its battery life benefits. Read our full review roundup for all of the details.
Last but not least, Phil Schiller gave an interview this week in which he touched on the iPhone XR naming, the device’s 720p screen resolution, and more. Regarding the iPhone XR display, he said that the “only way to judge a display is to look at it. If you can’t see the pixels, at some point the numbers don’t mean anything.” Read our full coverage of the interview here.
These and the rest of this week’s top Apple stories below…
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS |
- Fifth iOS 12.1, watchOS 5.1, and tvOS 12.1 developer betas now available
- Apple addressing ‘BeautyGate’ iPhone XS front camera skin smoothing in iOS 12.1
- Gorgeous iOS concept imagines refreshed Siri, Dock, and multitasking for 2018 iPad Pro models
- Facebook rolling out new Messenger 4 app update with simplified navigation, dark mode, customizable chat bubbles, more
- How to unlock five additional themes in Tweetbot 5 for iOS
- Stardew Valley now available on iPhone and iPad for $7.99
- Report: Samsung sues its own brand ambassador for $1.6M for using an iPhone X
- Phil Schiller gives his take on iPhone XR naming and ‘720p’ screen resolution controversy in new interview
- iPhone XS Max beats Google Pixel 3 XL in speed test by over a minute
- iPhone XR reviews: the best of iPhone XS with a couple compromises, beats Max battery life
- Apple quotes the best bits from a dozen iPhone XR reviews from around the world
- Comment: iPhone XR reviews confirm this is the iPhone for most people
- iPhone XR is Apple’s strategy to disrupt itself with features and price before others do, says analyst
- First iPhone XR pre-orders arrive to customers around the world [Gallery]
iPad & Mac |
- Latest renders show the 2018 iPad Pro designs we can expect to see on October 30
- Comment: Is the Touch Bar a gimmick? Two years in, I think I can safely answer …
- Kuo predicts new iPad mini 5, AirPower launch in late 2018 or early 2019, more
- Delayed Apple order suggests MacBook Air replacement coming on Oct 30
- Apple registers three new desktop Macs in Eurasian database ahead of October 30 event
Apple Watch |
Tech Industry |
- Instagram group video calling expanded to support up to six people
- Report: Trump still using his personal iPhone, which allows China and Russia to eavesdrop on his calls
- AT&T says it will launch 5G mobile service in the US in the coming weeks
Top Apple stories, retail |
- Apple Southlake Town Square reopening November 3rd with new design
- Apple’s first store in Bangkok opening at Iconsiam on November 10th
- New Apple Park Visitor Center T-shirts are inspired by classic designs
- Apple Shibuya’s three-story redesign features a stunning new spiral staircase
- Photos: Documenting LA’s Tower Theatre before Apple’s retail transformation
- Select Apple stores offering October 30th Special Event livestreams, sign up today
Top Apple stories, company |
- October Apple expectations: Redesigned iPad Pro, Mac lineup refresh, iPhone XR, more
- Apple fined $11.4M in Europe for iPhone throttling; Samsung fined $5.7M
- PSA: Latest Apple ID phishing scam tricks you into thinking you’ve subscribed to Spotify Premium
- Tim Cook touches on his personal life, privacy values, and more in new interview
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Top iPhone XR features – best bang for the buck? [Video]
- How to create a macOS Mojave USB installer the easy way [Video]
- What to expect for MacBook, iMac, and Mac mini at Apple’s October 30th event [Video]
- Hands-on: Nomad Wireless Charger for Tesla Model 3 [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top Apple news of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 9to5Mac Daily: October 22, 2018
- 9to5Mac Daily: October 23, 2018
- 9to5Mac Daily: October 24, 2018
- 9to5Mac Daily: October 25, 2018
- 9to5Mac Daily: October 26, 2018
Happy Hour Podcast #196 |
This week Benjamin and Zac talk iPhone XR reviews, the upcoming fix for ‘beautygate’, the newly rumored iPad mini 5 and AirPower expectations, the iPad Pro and Mac updates expected at next week’s Apple event, the latest AirPlay 2 HomeKit speaker, Safari and Dark Mode on the web, and much more.
Making The Grade |
Making The Grade is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing 100s of Macs and 100s of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Making The Grade: The laptop I hope Apple announces at its upcoming event
- Making The Grade: How I recovered a stolen iPad thanks to Jamf Pro and Apple’s Device Enrollment Program
- Making The Grade: What do you do with old laptops and iPads?
- Making The Grade: It’s hypocritical for Apple to promote privacy while not offering a G-Suite alternative
- Making The Grade: Is Apple’s K-12 device management strategy wrong?
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
Featured in top image: Dell 38-inch UltraSharp Curved Monitors, Grovemade’s Desk Shelf System, Nixie Tube Clock, Apogee Quartet, KRK VXT6 Studio Monitor speakers, Classicbot Classic Vintage Mac Toy. Read about the setup over on 9to5Toys as part of the ‘Behind the Screens’ series.