In this week’s top stories: Apple hid a Lightning connector in the Apple TV 4K, new iOS 13.2 beta, Dark Mode’s affect on battery life, and more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest news.
Ecobee HomeKit Thermostat
A new video from PhoneBuff this week put Dark Mode to the test in terms of battery life. The end result is actually quite impressive. PhoneBuff’s test found that the iPhone XS using Dark Mode drained the battery at a much slower pace than the iPhone XS using Light Mode. Watch the full video and find all of the results here.
Bloomberg reported this week that Apple plans to focus heavily on augmented reality in 2020 with new the new iPhone models and AR glasses. The report also detailed that Apple will debut its first ARM-powered Mac in 2020. Get all of the details here.
Apple this week released the fourth developer beta of iOS 13.2, as well as the third developer of macOS Catalina 10.15.1. The updates include changes such as new emoji and new Siri privacy settings. Apple also released a revised supplemental update for macOS Catalina 10.15 this week.
Are you a fan of the Security Code AutoFill feature in iOS and macOS? An Apple engineer responsible for developing the feature has offered new details on that process. The engineer explained that Security Code AutoFill came to be after a more ambitious project was put to the side.
Last but not least, 9to5Mac’s Jeff Benjamin published his full review of the Apple Watch Series 5 this week. Jeff says that while the new always-on display is a dramatic improvement, but not without compromise. Watch the video here.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
iOS | tvOS |
- How to use the ‘Remind when messaging’ feature on iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- Apple engineer explains how the incredibly useful Security Code AutoFill feature came to be
- iOS 13: How to use Reader View on iPhone and iPad
- When will Apple release iOS 13.2 to the public?
- Apple releasing fourth developer beta of iOS 13.2 today [U]
- Dark Mode in iOS 13 significantly helps iPhone battery life, robotic test shows [Video]
- Night mode versus Night Sight: MacWorld test says iPhone 11 beats Pixel 4
- iPhone Feature Request: Copy ‘Skip Lock Screen’ feature from Google’s Pixel 4
- WSJ backs report of Apple making the iPhone XR in India
- Google says unlimited full-res HEIC photo backups for iPhones is a bug
- Selena Gomez returns with new song, music video shot on iPhone 11 Pro
- Bloomberg: Apple focused on augmented reality in 2020 with new iPhone and AR glasses product, ARM Macs coming
- iPhone 11 empowering creators behind music videos and stunning nature films [Videos]
- Still using an iPhone 5? iOS 10.3.4 is required to keep your phone working
Mac + iPad |
- Mac running Catalina? Apple has released a new update to macOS 10.15
- Apple releases third developer beta of macOS Catalina 10.15.1
- Is this the rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro? macOS beta includes unreleased hardware icon
- Curated list of Mac screensavers includes iPhone and Apple Watch lookalikes
- Inside Adobe Spectrum, the design system making apps like Photoshop on iPad possible
Top Apple stories, retail |
- New Infinite Loop T-shirt collection celebrates the Mac’s pirate legend
- Renovated Apple Amsterdam premieres with latest design
Apple Watch |
- Your Apple Watch could replace passwords using one-tap authentication
- Apple Watch fall detection saves New Jersey man after tumbling off cliff and breaking his back
- Apple Watch saved woman from sexual assault in her own apartment
Apple TV |
- Apple hid a Lightning connector for debugging in the Apple TV 4K’s ethernet port
- Apple TV app launches on Amazon Fire TV devices
- Bob Iger not worried about Apple TV+ undercutting Disney+ on price
- Apple TV+ chief says they are hunting quality rather than demographics, Ron Moore pitched seven seasons of ‘For All Mankind’
- Some Apple TV owners experiencing repeated crashes when browsing in the TV app on tvOS 13
- AT&T looks to match Apple TV+ and Disney+ promos with free HBO Max for subscribers
Tech Industry |
- Amazon and Google smart speakers can eavesdrop and phish owners; HomePod safe
- Spotify ‘one fail away’ says music industry exec, as losses continue to grow
- AT&T TV Now is raising prices again, this time by as much as $15 per month
- CNN to take on Apple News+ with its own subscription news aggregation service
- Netatmo Weather Station now supports HomeKit: air quality, humidity, temperature and CO2 sensors
- Mophie beats Apple to the punch with ‘juice pack access’ battery case for iPhone 11 lineup
- Hands-on: How Mujjo’s leather and wallet cases for iPhone 11 compare to Apple’s
- Universal Audio launches new Thunderbolt 3-enabled Apollo Twin X and Apollo x4 desktop audio interfaces
Top Apple stories, company |
- Justice Department boosts tech giant antitrust investigation team
- Morgan Stanley: Apple TV+ could be $9B business, 5G iPhone to drive AAPL in 2020
- Apple in talks with business partner United Airlines over deal to upgrade terminal at SFO
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Review: Apple Watch Series 5 always-on display is a big improvement, but it comes at a cost [Video]
- Creating a Mac mini video editing setup for under $2,000 [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 9to5Mac Daily: October 25, 2019 – AAPL insider trading, more
- 9to5Mac Daily: October 24, 2019 – Apple TV app for Amazon Fire TV, iOS 13.2 beta
- 9to5Mac Daily: October 23, 2019 – Apple Pay growth, more
- 9to5Mac Daily: October 22, 2019 – Apple Watch fall detection, Adobe + iPad
- 9to5Mac Daily: October 21, 2019 – Apple AR rumors, 16-inch MacBook Pro
9to5Mac Watch Time episode 9 |
Will Sigmon joins Zac to talk about their shared passion for technology, Will’s experience excelling with dwarfism, practical uses for Apple Watch Walkie-Talkie, Made for iPhone hearing aid integration with iOS and watchOS, and much more.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a seasonal podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how the Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is now available on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and your favorite podcast player through RSS. Subscribe now to enjoy our teaser trailer and hear new episodes as soon as they drop — starting next week.
Happy Hour Podcast 248 |
Apple has effectively managed our 16-inch MacBook Pro expectations, Zac has a favorite Mac Catalyst app, Benjamin has released his own Catalyst app, Netatmo surprises us with welcome HomeKit news, Fire TV picks up Apple TV+, and much more.
Stacktrace Podcast #59 |
Using the iPad Pro for coding and presentations, cross-platform code and feature sharing and what that might mean for products like Photoshop for iPad, and could automated tests improve Apple’s software quality? Also, organizing development tasks, and what it’s like to record podcasts in your non-native language.
Apple @ Work |
Apple @ Work is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing hundreds of Macs and hundreds of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Apple @ Work: How will Wi-Fi 6 impact Apple in the enterprise?
- Apple @ Work: When to deploy macOS Catalina, iOS 13, and iPadOS 13
- Apple @ Work: IoT devices face security problems that must be addressed
- Apple @ Work: Did web apps allow the Mac to flourish in the enterprise?
- Apple @ Work: Why are IT professionals choosing Apple products when they used to ban them?
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.