In this week’s top stories: WWDC 2021 expectations, MacBook Pro refresh rumors, AirTag software update, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top stories and more.
We’re just one day away from the beginning of WWDC 2021. Things kick off tomorrow at 10 a.m. PT/1 p.m. ET with Apple’s special event keynote. During this keynote, we expect the introduction of iOS 15, watchOS 8, and much more.
You can find our full roundup of what to expect at WWDC 2021 this year right here.
Apple this week rolled out its firmware update to AirTag users. The update is focused on improving the privacy provisions in place for the item tracker.
With this firmware update, an AirTag will now play a sound after it has been separated from its owner at a random time within an interval of eight hours and 24 hours. At launch, AirTag played a sound after being separated from its owner for longer than three days.
The company is also developing an app for Android users that will alert them to an AirTag potentially moving with them. The app will also detect other Find My-enabled accessories.
A monster new report from Bloomberg this week indicated that Apple is currently developing a redesigned iPad Pro for release in 2022. This redesign will purportedly introduce a new glass back that enables wireless charging and reverse wireless charging.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Comment: How Apple can improve iMessage with iOS 15
- Remembering Apple’s ‘sweet solution’ for iPhone apps before the App Store
- PSA: iPhone users reporting ‘SIM Failure’ error after updating to iOS 14.7 beta 2
- Google’s iOS expert shares 7 iPhone and iPad tips for power users
- Spotify for iOS adds new ‘Only You’ feature for personalized playlists and more
- Apple stops signing iOS 14.5.1, blocking downgrades from iOS 14.6
- Apple releases iOS 14.7 beta 2 to developers, more
- MagSafe fishing finds and recovers an iPhone 12 Pro from a canal [U: Video]
- iPhone 12 vs. iPhone 12 Pro: Which should you buy in 2021?
- Some iPhone users report excess battery drain on iOS 14.6 – are you affected?
Apple Watch |
- Comment: Apple Watch Series 3 has become a white elephant for Apple
- watchOS 8 Feature Request: Ring-ring, hello, Apple Watch calling; ‘End Call to Continue’
- Should you buy the Apple Watch Series 3 in 2021? Here’s how it stacks up
Apple TV |
- Latest HBO Max app update for tvOS breaks multiple key features on Apple TV
- Official Ted Lasso merch coming in a few weeks, but you’ll have to wait longer to buy Richmond jerseys
- Siri Remote features that belong on the Apple Watch and Control Center Apple TV remote
- MacBook Pro Diary: I can’t wait for the M1X 16-inch MacBook Pro – but it will hurt!
- Intel versus Apple: Chipmaker’s latest attack scores own goal
- Analyst expects new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro at WWDC
- Here’s how a custom 21.5-inch iMac with Intel Core i9 compares to M1 iMac in performance
- Potential 16-inch Apple Silicon MacBook Pro refresh referenced in Chinese regulatory filings
- Report says Jony Ive was involved in the new M1 iMac design, but details are unclear
- iPadOS 15 wish list for improving iPad quality of life sans Mac
- Apple can’t advertise the best feature of the iPad Pro (yet)
- Tested: Brydge Max+ keyboard versus Apple Magic Keyboard for 12.9-inch iPad Pro
- Apple announces AirTag privacy improvements, Android app coming this year
- Apple rolling out new AirTag software update; here’s how to see if yours has updated
Apple Stores |
- Today at Apple celebrates Black Music Month in sessions with the National Museum of African American Music
AAPL Company |
- Recently revealed Steve Jobs email refers to iPod ‘Super nano’ and seemingly unreleased 2008 iPod shuffle
- Explore some of the most memorable moments in WWDC history as we approach Apple’s 32nd conference
- The story behind a rare 1st-generation iPod touch prototype that still runs ‘OS X’ [Gallery]
- Get ready for WWDC 2021 with these playlists, podcasts, stories, concepts, wallpapers, and tips
- A decade of 5 GB free: will Apple ever increase base iCloud storage?
- Tim Cook announces hybrid work plan for Apple employees, three days per week in-person
- Report: Jony Ive has poached ‘at least four’ Apple design team members for LoveFrom
- Apple Music teases Spatial Audio special event for June 7, scheduled for after WWDC keynote
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 9to5Mac Daily: June 04, 2021 – iPad Pro redesign, AirTag update
- 9to5Mac Daily: June 03, 2021 – Apple’s hybrid work plan, more
- 9to5Mac Daily: June 02, 2021 – Apple Car, iPhone 13 battery increase
- 9to5Mac Daily: June 01, 2021 – MacBook Pro rumors, Apple Watch Series 3
- 9to5Mac Daily: May 31, 2021 – iPhone 13 production, more
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
This week on Happy Hour 9to5Mac’s Benjamin and Zac explore this week’s news including the delay of Podcasts Subscriptions, AirTags stalking, Apple’s new remote work policies for employees, and the ‘homeOS’ job listing. They then get hyped for WWDC next week.
- Sponsored by iMazing: 9to5Mac readers can download iMazing for 30% off a limited time.
- Sponsored by BetterHelp: As a listener, you’ll get 10% off your first month by visiting our sponsor at BetterHelp.com/MacHappyHour.
- Sponsored by Mint Mobile: To get your new wireless plan for just $15 a month and get the plan shipped to your door for FREE go to MintMobile.com/HappyHour
- Sponsored by Magic Spoon: Go to magicspoon.com/happyhour to grab a variety pack and try it today! Be sure to use code HAPPYHOUR at checkout.
Stacktrace Podcast |
- Sponsored by iMazing: Stacktrace listeners can download iMazing for 30% off for a limited time.
- Sponsored by Keep Going: A new book from indie developer Bardi Golriz on how to create award-winning apps in 12 months. Use code “rambo” for $10 off.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.