In this week’s top stories: Steve Wozniak explains the one big problem he was with the iPhone X, Apple reports its Q1 2018 earnings amid growing concern from investors and supply partners, new Macs and iPads coming this year, Nintendo announces its next mobile game and more. Read on for all this week’s news…
Ecobee HomeKit Thermostat
This week, Apple officially reported its Q1 2018 earnings, covering the holiday shopping season and the first quarter of iPhone X availability. Despite reports to the contrary, Tim Cook said the iPhone X has been the top-selling iPhone every week since it’s release.
Apple reported profits of $20.1 billion on revenue of $88.3 billion, selling 77.3 million iPhones, 5.1 million Macs, and 13.2 million iPads. Read all of the details right here.
In typical Woz fashion, Steve Wozniak offered up his thoughts on the iPhone X this week. The Apple cofounder expressed his concern with the power button functionality on the side, saying that the multiple functionalities are not intuitive.
Elsewhere, Bloomberg reported this week that Apple has three new Macs with Apple coprocessor under development. While specifics are unclear here, the report said the company is developing two laptops and a new desktop with the chip.
Furthermore, both Bloomberg and Axios reported this week that Apple has delayed some major iOS features until next year, taking this year to instead focus on performance and reliability.
Finally, Nintendo made a big announcement for mobile gamers this week. The company announced that Mario Kart Tour for iOS is currently under development, with a release target of by March 2019.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below:
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS
- Apple properly fixes the 1+2+3 Calculator bug in iOS 11.3, brings back the animation
- Nintendo officially announces new Mario Kart game coming to iOS
- Apple reportedly delaying some major iOS features to next year, in order to focus on performance and reliability for iOS 12 [U]
- Telegram & Telegram X messaging apps both disappear from App Store without explanation [U]
- Opinion: iOS 12 could finally fix systemic frame rate issues and interface inconsistencies
Apple TV |
- AT&T says revamped DirecTV Now w/ cloud DVR & more coming this spring
- YouTube TV now available natively on Apple TV
- Steve Wozniak explains one big problem he has with the iPhone X
- ‘Disappointing’ sales see Apple cutting iPhone X production in half this quarter – Nikkei [U]
- Verizon matches T-Mobile deal: Buy one iPhone 8 or X, get one $699 off
- KGI predicts 6.1-inch LCD iPhone will help Apple rebound from ‘lower-than-expected’ iPhone X sales
- KGI: iPhone SE 2 wireless charging unlikely, upgrade for iOS 12 possible
- Apple stops signing older versions of iOS following release of iOS 11.2.5
- Apple celebrates Chinese New Year with short film “Three Minutes” shot on iPhone X
HomePod | Apple Watch |
- February Apple Watch Activity Challenge rewards users with animated iMessage stickers
- Coach releases simple and clean black and brown Apple Watch bands, new colors for some existing straps
- Here’s how HomePod will handle future software updates
- Apple offering employees 50% discount on HomePod
- PSA: Here’s how iCloud Music Library works with HomePod
- Opinion: HomePod’s hi-fi focus is Apple’s first serious dive into pro audio — and that’s smart
- Phil Schiller explains what’s changed since the iPod Hi-Fi, HomePod’s spatial awareness & more
- HomePod still available for Feb 9 delivery, suggesting Apple may have over-estimated demand
Mac & iPad |
- Bloomberg: Three new Macs with Apple coprocessors in development, new iPad in fall
- The Mac, The Myth, The Legend: How Snow Leopard became synonymous with reliability
- First 18-Core iMac benchmarks showcase obvious multi-core benefits
AAPL Company |
- Apple announces Q1 2018 revenue of $88.3b: 77.3m iPhones, 13.2m iPads, 5.1m Macs
- Review: Living with Vitra’s Pacific Chair, Jony Ive’s choice for Apple Park
- Tim Cook: Apple doesn’t care if the iPhone battery program affects upgrade rates
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top video |
- Back to the Mac 001: Hands-on with my favorite iMac Pro accessories [Video]
- Friday 5: Favorite apps for iMac Pro [Video]
- Hands-on: The iMac Pro’s UHS-II SD Card reader can boost video workflows [Video]
Happy Hour Podcast #158 |
This week Benjamin and Zac discuss the latest on HomePod before its launch including what they ordered, a new report that casts doubt on the possibility of an iPhone SE 2, rumors about an iBooks overhaul and imagining an Apple Books service, plus iOS 12 rumors and Apple’s holiday quarter results.
9to5Mac Daily |
Welcome to 9to5Mac Daily, a new podcast bringing you the latest in Apple news and top 9to5Mac stories every Monday through Friday. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 016: KGI on iPhone SE 2, CarPlay gets social, HomePod reception | 9to5Mac Daily
- 017: iOS 12 rumors, DOJ Apple probe, Outcast for Apple Watch | 9to5Mac Daily
- 018: Square Cash supporting Bitcoin, HomePod versus iPod Hi-Fi, and Snow Leopard’s legacy | 9to5Mac Daily
- 019: Apple’s holiday quarter, Mario Kart for iOS, HomeKit lighting | 9to5Mac Daily
- 020: YouTube TV on Apple TV and Valentine’s Day Apple Watch Activity Challenge | 9to5Mac Daily