In this week’s top stories: 2020 iPhone rumors continue to emerge, Apple’s battle with the FBI, the best Apple Watch sleep tracking apps, and more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest news.
A new report from Reuters this week said that Apple dropped plans to release an end-to-end encrypted version of iCloud backups after facing complaints from the FBI who told Apple that it would hinder their investigations. Apple is also said to have had concerns that customers would accidentally enable end-to-end backups without realizing the consequences.
Meanwhile, a supply chain report has suggested that Apple is planning a redesigned Smart Keyboard to go along with the 2020 iPad Pro refresh. The report explains that the new iPad Pro’s Smart Keyboard will include backlit keys, which would also suggest a potential bigger overhaul of the design as well.
That same report also suggested that Apple is on scheduled to release a new version of the 13-inch MacBook Pro with the scissor switch keyboard during the first half of this year. Apple is also expected to bring the scissor switch keyboard to the MacBook Air, but this report did not offer any details on that timeline.
Apple added a new option option for Apple Card users this week: the ability to export monthly statements in spreadsheet form. This means you can download your Apple Card data, and then import it into your budgeting setup of choice. Find out the details on that in our full coverage.
Last but not least, Apple this week announced its new new Apple Watch Connected program. This program means gym-goers can receive rewards including membership discounts, Apple and Nike gift cards, and more when they workout with Apple Watch. At launch, four partners are teaming up with Apple for the new program. These include Orangetheory, Basecamp, the YMCA, and Crunch Fitness.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
iOS | macOS | tvOS |
- Every Mac wallpaper from 10.0 Cheetah to 10.15 Catalina – in a single image
- Apple releasing third developer beta of iOS 13.3.1 today [U]
- Rumor: 6.7-inch iPhone 12 to be thinner than iPhone 11 Pro Max, more sizing details
- AirPods Pro firmware update improved sound accuracy but reduced noise isolation, testing says
- Jeff Bezos iPhone X hack gave full access to his photos and messages
- Bloomberg: New low-cost iPhone entering production next month, could be released in March
- Apple highlights iPhone 11 ‘slofie’ feature in adventurous new videos
- Here’s what a $10 million lab dedicated to cracking iPhones looks like
Apple Watch |
- Apple Watch Connected: a rewards program that works as you work out at the gym
- Kentucky woman credits gifted Apple Watch with detecting AFib while asleep
- Bipartisanship in Washington: Senators from both parties break impeachment trial rules with Apple Watch
iPad & Mac |
- Digitimes: Backlit Smart Keyboard for iPad Pro coming later this year, 13-inch MacBook Pro with scissor keys sooner
- Here’s our first look at Apple’s brand new rack-mounted Mac Pro
- Mac: How to fix and restart the Touch Bar when it stops working
- Apple’s newest Safari Technology Preview release officially drops support for Adobe Flash
Top Apple stories, retail |
- NapBot Apple Watch sleep tracker adds iPhone-free app, new complications, awake trends, more
- These are the best sleep tracking apps for Apple Watch
- DUBL Drive easily turns new iPhone dual camera feature into smart dash cam
- Adobe previews new project management and collaboration tools coming to Premiere Pro
- Apple Card adds native support for exporting transactions to a spreadsheet
- Apple TV+ Guide: Here are all the Apple TV shows and movies available now
- Apple TV+ ‘Little America’ creators talk upcoming episode podcast and more
- Upcoming Apple Podcasts expansion into original content will include companion content for TV+
- Netflix punches down at newcomer Apple TV+ in latest earnings release
- Jennifer Aniston is surprise winner of SAG award for The Morning Show
- Apple TV+ sets release date for Defending Jacob series, starring Chris Evans
- Apple announces release date for Steven Spielberg’s ‘Amazing Stories’ and Apple TV+’s first British series
- Apple TV+ announces Home Before Dark drama premiering April 3, renews for second season
- Apple reminding customers to redeem their free year of Apple TV+ as offer deadline approaches
Top Apple stories, company |
- Apple reportedly abandoned plans to roll out end-to-end encrypted iCloud backups, apparently due to pressure from the FBI
- Doubt cast on story that Apple gave in to FBI pressure on iCloud backups
- Tile goes to Congress to battle Apple before AirTags competitor even gets unveiled
- Comment: Apple’s decision on iCloud backups is wrong, but also understandable
- Police video shows Cellebrite device in action, says it ‘minimizes intrusion’
- Tim Cook says AR is the ‘next big thing,’ teases Apple’s health initiatives that are ’cause for hope’
- Trump ironically rails against Apple privacy as FBI unlocks another iPhone 11
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Review: Samsung T7 Touch Portable SSD – faster than the T5 with fingerprint security in tow [Video]
- Pro Display XDR top features — amazing build quality and stunning view [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 9to5Mac Daily: January 23, 2020 – Apple Watch rewards, RIP Adobe Flash
- 9to5Mac Daily: January 22, 2020 – New iPad Pro and Smart Keyboard rumors, more
- 9to5Mac Daily: January 21, 2020 – iCloud encryption, iPhone 12 rumors
- 9to5Mac Daily: January 20, 2020 – iPhone holiday popularity, iOS security
9to5Mac Watch Time episode #13 |
This week on 9to5Mac Watch, Zac explores recent stories that show how the Apple Watch can be your silent health guardian with fall detection and heart rate alerts, his experience testing Series 5 battery life in different modes during half marathon races, short term and long term goals with Apple Watch in 2020, and more.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how the Apple Watch is affecting their lives. 9to5Mac Watch Time is available on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and your favorite podcast player through RSS.
Happy Hour Podcast #261 |
Special guest Astronaut Garrett Reisman joins Zac and Benjamin to discuss his experience with ‘For All Mankind’ on Apple TV+. Dr. Reisman joined NASA in 1998, traveled to space on the Space Shuttle Endeavour in 2008 and Space Shuttle Atlantis in 2010, and performed three spacewalks from the International Space Station.
Stacktrace Podcast |
Excited to announce that Stacktrace will return for its 3rd season on January 29th — next Wednesday! 🎉
Make sure to subscribe to the show in your podcast player of choice to get notified when the episode is out. Just search for “Stacktrace” and you’ll find it 😀
— Stacktrace Podcast (@stacktracepod) January 23, 2020
Apple @ Work and Making the Grade |
Apple @ Work is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing hundreds of Macs and hundreds of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Making the Grade: Sora is the solution for K-12 libraries wanting to make a digital transformation
- Making the Grade: How to get AirPlay 2 in the classroom without the expense of an Apple TV
- Apple @ Work: Here’s how Apple TV has quietly become a robust digital signage solution
- Apple @ Work: Privileges for macOS is the open source tool that all Apple IT departments need
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.