In this week’s top stories: More 2020 iPad rumors, Apple wins Christmas, IKEA’s smart blinds add HomeKit support, Apple TV+ makes a notable hire, and more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest news.
Apple TV+ has made a notable hire as we head into 2020. Former HBO CEO Richard Plepler has officially reached a production deal with Apple. The five-year deal with Apple will see his new company, Eden Productions, produce TV shows, documentaries, and feature films exclusively for Apple TV+. During his time at HBO, the network rolled out shows including “Game of Thrones,” “Big Little Lies,” and “Veep.”
In other news, Apple has reached a new deal with its former GPU chip supplier Imagination Technologies. The deal comes after months of public disputes between the two companies. Under the new agreement, Apple will have access to a wider range of Imagination’s intellectual property in exchange for licensing fees.
Apple may be planning to launch the first ever PRODUCT(RED) Apple Watch. Evidence of a new PRODUCT (RED) Apple Watch briefly appeared in an Apple database recently, before being quickly removed. This Apple Watch variant would reportedly be made out of an aluminum casing with a red finish. It’s possible that we could see this new PRODUCT(RED) Apple Watch as soon as this spring.
Last but not least, Brydge has unveiled its latest iPad keyboard accessory. The company will release the Pro+ keyboard next month, with the 11-inch model costing $199 and the 12.9-inch model at $229. The Bryge Pro+ features not only a keyboard, but also a built-in trackpad. Read more here.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
iOS | macOS | tvOS |
- Diet tracking app ‘Calory’ now tracks water, subtracts burned calories, more
- iPhone: How to remove location data from photos and videos before sharing
- The inside story of the ‘AppStore’, Salesforce’s Marc Benioff, and a gifted URL to Steve Jobs
- WhatsApp dropping support for older iOS versions in February
- iPhone’s Emergency SOS feature helps woman seek help during attempted assault
- Apple wins Christmas: iPhone claims top 9 spots for mobile device activations in the US
- ’40 days of darkness’ photographer: Apple ‘lying by omission’ with Night mode
- Notchless iPhone with in-screen Touch ID could be top-end 2020 model – report
- Best Apple CarPlay receivers for your car
- Sketchy report claims not one but two ‘iPhone 9’ models this year
- Apple continues stunning ‘Shot on iPhone Experiments’ series with new ‘Fire & Ice’ video
- AirPods can now be engraved with select emoji as Apple refreshes exclusive font
- 2020 iPhones will have Chinese-made OLED screens for first time, says report
- TSMC will reportedly start production of A14 chip for this year’s iPhones in Q2, new 5 nanometer process
- Dell laptops will soon be able to sync and mirror the iPhone screen on Windows
Apple Watch |
- Apple Watch and iPhone health accessories to help with 2020 new year’s resolutions
- (RED) Apple Watch found in Apple database, could arrive next spring
- Indie Apple Watch developer donating all proceeds to help battle the Australian bushfires
iPad & Mac |
- Should you wait for the 2020 iPad Pro, or is it OK to buy now?
- macOS Catalina: Use Apple Watch to replace your password without Touch ID
- Brydge iPad keyboard with trackpad revealed; standalone trackpad, too
Top Apple stories, retail |
- The stores, people, and ideas that shaped Apple retail in 2019
- Apple Stores in 2019: The top new architecture and innovative designs
- Today at Apple in 2019: Exploring a year of new experiences
Apple TV |
- LG announces new 8K TV lineup with support for AirPlay 2 and HomeKit
- Apple TV+ Guide: Here are all the Apple TV shows and movies available now
- Former HBO boss officially inks five-year exclusive production deal with Apple TV+
- IKEA Tradfri smart blinds finally rolling out support for Apple HomeKit
- Vancouver smart office project may be the world’s largest HomeKit setup
- This is how IKEA’s smart blinds work with HomeKit on iOS and through Siri
Top Apple stories, company |
- Jimmy Iovine explains why he left Apple Music, the problem with streaming music services, more
- Apple restores Imagination GPU chip agreement after public dispute and employee poaching
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
9to5Mac Watch Time episode #12 |
Gregory McFadden from GregsGadgets and GadgetCast joins Zac to talk about his podcast debut, how his popular YouTube channel dates back to the first Apple Watch, and his experience losing 100 pounds and discovering a healthy lifestyle with Apple Watch.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how the Apple Watch is affecting their lives. 9to5Mac Watch Time is available on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and your favorite podcast player through RSS.
Happy Hour Podcast #258 |
Benjamin and Zac kick off 2020 with rumors about a Product (RED) Apple Watch Series 5, new perks for Apple Store staff, the first Made for iPhone external flash, HBO’s former chief signing an exclusive deal with Apple TV+, Apple’s surprise agreement with Imagination Technologies, and the latest iPad Pro and iPhone 12 rumors.
Stacktrace Podcast #67 |
Special guest Myke Hurley joins John and Rambo for the grand season two finale of the show! A wrap-up of 2019’s trends, stories, products and services, and what those might mean for Apple and the tech industry in 2020.
Apple @ Work |
Apple @ Work is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing hundreds of Macs and hundreds of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Making the Grade: How to get AirPlay 2 in the classroom without the expense of an Apple TV
- Apple @ Work: Here’s how Apple TV has quietly become a robust digital signage solution
- Apple @ Work: Privileges for macOS is the open source tool that all Apple IT departments need
- Apple @ Work: When to deploy macOS Catalina, iOS 13, and iPadOS 13
- Apple @ Work: IoT devices face security problems that must be addressed
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.