According to recent data released by Parks Associates, Apple TV currently is the fourth most popular streaming media device based on 2014 sales, down from third place in 2013. Roku, according to the data, is the most popular streaming media device manufacturer with 34 percent of the market, while Google’s Chromecast accounted for 23 percent of sales.
Roku Stories August 20, 2015
Roku Stories August 17, 2015
Apple plans to hold one of its annual fall media events on Wednesday, September 9th to introduce the new iPhone 6S and iPhone 6S Plus with Force Touch, and after many fits and starts, it appears that the long-awaited next-generation Apple TV will also be unveiled. We’ve been reporting on this upcoming model since 2014, as Apple has been planning to update its set-top-box with support for an App Store for quite some time.
Earlier this year, Apple had locked in a June WWDC debut for both the new Apple TV hardware and software upgrades, but the company ultimately decided to delay the introduction until the fall. While some had speculated that the announcement was pushed back due to a lack of content deals, we are told that the delay was internally attributed to a concern over compromising iOS 9 engineering resources, as the latest OS release is focused at least as much on polish as on new features.
Why would the new Apple TV potentially take away resources from iOS 9? According to sources, this new Apple TV model, codenamed J34, will be the first model to run a full-blown iOS core. Specifically, the new Apple TV operating system will be a TV-optimized version of iOS 9. In addition to the new hardware inside, running iOS 9 will give the new Apple TV a series of benefits over the current model. Below, we explore what users can expect from Apple’s next-generation living room product.
Roku Stories June 4, 2015
Apple TV doubled its share of premium viewing in just three months, from 5% in Q4 2014 to 10% in Q1 2015, according to data from the Adobe Digital Index. Roku’s share increased by only 1% in the same time period, from 7% to 8%. Principal analyst Tamara Gaffney told TNW that Apple’s growth was unprecedented.
Apple TV devices doubling their share of premium video viewing quarter over quarter (QoQ) from 5% to 10%–overtaking Roku […] That’s huge. We never see double in quarter-over-quarter in something that’s been around for a couple of years. We expect Apple TV to take off even more.
Why the spike? Apple dropped the price of the Apple TV to $69 and it grows a few new channels every month but the survey didn’t offer any guesses. Adobe also noted that iOS devices account continue to dominate mobile video viewing, representing 82% of non-subscription viewing … expand full story
Roku Stories April 7, 2015
Just so there’s no ambiguity on this point, I’m definitely an Apple TV fan. The first-generation model was a (literally) hot mess, but Apple did a much better job with the streamlined second- and third-generation versions, which I use every day and have strongly recommended for years. If you have an iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch, the Apple TV is one of the top three accessories you can buy for under $100, and nearly a no-brainer at Apple’s recently announced $69 price point.
Even as a fan, though, I give Apple TV’s chief competitor Roku great credit for developing compelling alternatives. According to reports, Roku is the number one seller of media streamers, and has been outselling the Apple TV for some time now. While it’s true that sales don’t necessarily reflect quality, Roku has earned its numbers by frequently iterating on its products — ironically unlike Apple, which has spent years letting an old Apple TV design chug along as a “hobby.” The difference in Roku’s and Apple’s approaches became starker yesterday when Roku released the new Roku 3 with Voice Search ($100) and new Roku 2 ($70), updates to two of its already-successful devices. These media streamers include several of the key features Apple should be adding to the Apple TV, including voice search, downloadable apps, games, and more…
Roku Stories January 13, 2015
The AllCast media streaming app–which allows photos, music and video to be beamed from a mobile device to an Apple TV, Roku, Xbox, FireTV and a range of smart TVs–has now made it to iOS, following the release of the Android app last month (shown in the above video). It’s compatible with the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and is optimized for iPhone 5 and up.
Roku Stories October 1, 2014
9to5Toys Last Call: XCOM: Enemy Unknown free, Nikon D3300 (refurb) $400, Roku stick (refurb) $35, more
Today’s can’t miss deals:
Last Call updates:
- Parrot’s Zik 2.0 Bluetooth headphones add deep app integration & noise cancellation
- Golden Joystick Awards offer voters a free copy of XCOM: Enemy Unknown for Mac/PC
Brother HL-2280DW 3-In-One Monochrome Wireless Laser Printer: $90 shipped (orig. $200)
- Nikon D3300 DSLR w/ 18-55mm lens kit (refurb) $400 shipped (orig. $650)
- REI Mega Sale: Coleman Tent $45, North Face Grizzly Jacket $61, Kelty Daypack $33, more
- 10% off laptop bags, shoes and more at 6PM.com: mens dress shoes as low as $16
- Home: Mr. Beams LED Lantern w/ USB charging $17, Bosch Router Table $118, more
WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive: $80 shipped (orig. $120)
Roku Streaming Stick w/ remote (refurb) $35 shipped (Reg. $50)
- Sharp AQUOS 60-inch LED Smart HDTV: $780 shipped (orig. $1,000)
- Samsung 60-inch 1080p Plasma $700, TCL 50-inch 4K $450, Seiki 39-inch 4K $299, more
iOttie Easy Flex 2 Car/Desk Mount + RapidVOLT dual car charger $20 shipped (orig. $43)
Small States: Owen & Fred send a message and look good doing it, giveaway worth $412, 10% promo code
Other new deals:
- New! Receivers: Denon AVR-E400 7.1 w/ AirPlay $300, Pioneer VSX-523 5.1 (refurb) $125
- New! Daily Deals: Jawbone Mini Jambox: $69, Foscam Wireless IP Cam: $55, more
- New! Games/Apps: Scrabble for iPhone/iPad up to 62% off, white DualShock 4 $45, more
- New! 1-yr mag subs from $5 w/ digital access: Wired, GQ, Fortune, Sports illustrated, more
- New! Lucky Brand 30% sitewide sale on all jeans and apparel
More deals still alive:
- Pebble Smart Watch for Apple/Android $100 (Reg. $150), Moto 360 Stone Leather: $250
- Apple 32GB WiFi iPads: Air $490 (reg. $599), mini $280 (orig. $429)
- TRENDnet 500AV Nano Adapter Powerline Kit $25 shipped (orig. $65)
- uNu DX iPhone 5/5s 2300mAh MFi protective battery case $40 shipped (Reg. $80)
- Download a copy of Jason Aldean’s “Night Train” album for free (~$10 value)
- Headphones: Harman BT over-ears (refurb) $99 (orig. $250), Scosche in-ears $41 (orig. $250)
- Sony DRB Bluetooth headphones (black or white) from $59 shipped (Reg. $130)
- Apple 32GB WiFi iPads: Air $490 (reg. $599), mini $280 (orig. $429)
- Top Bluetooth speakers: Ultimate Ears Mini Boom: $79, Jawbone JAMBOX $83
- Sony speakers (refurb): HT-CT60 2.1 soundbar $60, 5.1 home theater system $59
- Jabra Solemate Mini wireless Bluetooth speaker $32 shipped (Reg. $100)
- HP Chromebox CB1 desktop computer 1.4GHz/2GB/16GB SSD $139 (Reg. $180)
- 25% off 3 accessories at AT&T store: Apple, Beats, JBL, Jambox and more
More iPhone 6/6 Plus deals, accessories, and trade offers:
- iloome readies “the world’s first” curved tempered glass screen protector for iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Roundup: the best ultra tough Lightning cables for your new iPhone 6/6 Plus
- Faster 2.1A chargers/batteries, more for iPhone 6/Plus quick charging (roundup)
- Apple isn’t making an iPhone 6/6 Plus dock, here are your best options
- Couldn’t score a 128GB iPhone? Add storage to any iPhone w/ a wireless drive
- Best iPhone 6/6 Plus plan in US? T-Mobile unlmtd.100 mins talk: $30/month
- Should you protect your new iPhone 6/6 Plus with AppleCare+ or SquareTrade?
New products/ongoing promos:
- Relonch accessory camera lets your iPhone 5/6 take “magazine-class” photos
- Pokémon TCG Online for iPad is now available for download in the U.S
- SteelSeries re-invents its Siberia line of headsets with every gamer in mind
- Ring Wi-Fi enabled doorbell that lets you answer the door even when you’re not home
- GoPro’s HERO4 shoots 4K video at 30FPS, all-new HERO model is its most affordable ever
- Samsung’s new 27-inch LED monitor curves for a more immersive viewing experience
- Polaroid’s Cube action camera is just over 1 cubic inch, shoots 1080p, and is less than $100
- GRID 2 Reloaded Edition is now available on Mac
- Haven smartlock can stop a battering ram and will integrate with Apple HomeKit
- Apple Store offers 11.6″ MacBook Air (2012 model refurb) w/ 1-year warranty: $599
- IK Multimedia intros its new iRig Pads portable MIDI controller for iOS and Mac/PC
- Refurbished 2013 Mac Pro models now on Apple online store at 15% discount