In this week’s top stories: Jony Ive’s departure from Apple is official, Apple’s latest HomeKit features, the best Apple Cyber Monday deals, and more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest news.
Jony Ive has officially been removed from Apple’s executive leadership webpage. This comes after it was announced earlier this year that Ive would depart Apple. Ive is leaving Apple to set up his own design consultancy with Marc Newson, called LoveFrom, which will supposedly include Apple as its first client. What ultimately materializes out of that partnership remains to be seen.
In other news, a supply chain report this week suggested that all three new iPhones introduced in 2020 will have OLED screens. There is, however, still expected to be differences in display technology within the iPhone lineup. The report explained that Samsung will be able to eliminate a separate touch-sensitive layer, making its displays thinner. Apple will reportedly reserve those displays for the two higher-end iPhone models.
Popular Apple accessory maker Satechi this week released a new Compact Backlit Bluetooth Keyboard for Mac, iPad, and iPhone. The keyboard packs a full-size design, a num-pad, 600-hour battery life, USB-C, and more.
If you’re looking to buy AirPods Pro, we recommend doing it sooner rather than later. Apple․com is already quoting delivery times past December 25, but there are several other options. Read our full guide right here for all of the details.
Siri on Apple Watch made an unexpected appearance during a weather broadcast this week. Apple’s virtual assistant not only spoke up during the broadcast, but also contradicted the meteorologist’s forecast. Watch the awkward video here.
Last but not least, our colleagues over at 9to5Toys are rounding up the best Cyber Monday sales. Be sure to check out all of their coverage for the best ways to save on Apple gear this holiday season.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
iOS | tvOS |
- Apple releases iOS 13.2.3 with more background app improvements, Mail fixes, more
- Bloomberg: Apple is changing the way it tests software following iOS 13’s buggy debut, new process starts with iOS 14
- Apple releasing third developer beta of iOS 13.3 today
- Here’s how to find out when your iPhone 11 camera is using Deep Fusion
- All three 2020 iPhones may be OLED, but ‘two models will have better displays’
- Apple reportedly forecasting >100 million iPhone 12 sales in 2020, thanks to 5G demand
- Indian-made iPhones will be exported, says government, as Apple expands ops
- Two factors saw iPhone sales decline by 10% in Q3, says Gartner
Apple Watch |
- Apple Watch Siri awkwardly interrupts on-air meteorologist and contradicts his forecast
- Heart Analyzer for Apple Watch updated with all-new design, new data and graphs, more
iPad & Mac |
- MacBook Pro Diary: A forced repair leading to a rethink about my next Mac
- Which iPad should you buy this holiday season? Here’s how Apple’s current lineup compares
Top Apple stories, retail |
- Red Apple Store logos mark run-up to World AIDS Day on Dec 1st
- Shelby Edwards and James Whitney of littledrill studio help photographers find their creative voice through Today at Apple
- Turn your iPhone into a click wheel iPod Classic with ‘nice throwback’ app
- Microsoft Remote Desktop app for iOS updated with several new features
- ‘Clicker for Disney+’ is a macOS app with picture-in-picture, Touch Bar controls, more
Tech Industry |
- Bizarre Huawei Devialet speaker looks like cross between Mac Pro and HomePod
- Comment: What can Apple do with HomeKit to catch Alexa in 2020?
- You may soon be able to get the Twitter username you’ve always wanted
9to5Mac Gift Guides |
- 9to5Mac Gift Guide: What do you buy for the person who already has the latest technology?
- 9to5Mac Gift Guide: Getting started with HomeKit lights, cameras, AirPlay 2, and more
- 9to5Mac Gift Guide: Must-have travel tech that‘s useful for everyday use
- 9to5Mac Audio Gift Guide: Treat your loved ones to the gift of great sound
- 9to5Mac Gift Guide: Christmas gift ideas for IT professionals
- Hands-on with the closest wireless charger we may see to AirPower, now in black
- iFixit X-rays Apple’s Smart Battery case to see how the camera button works
- Satechi fits full backlit Bluetooth keyboard in compact design w/ USB-C for Mac, iPad, iPhone
- Tile matches expected feature of Apple’s ‘AirTags’ item trackers, Smart Alerts
- Apple lists the cameras and routers that will be compatible with the latest HomeKit features
- Netatmo now rolling out HomeKit Secure Video support to its Smart Indoor Camera
- Hands-on: Spigen’s AirPods Pro cases add grip, protection, and color
- Review: Ekster smart wallets offer Siri and great storage with sleek designs
Top Apple stories, company |
- Jony Ive removed from Apple executive leadership page as he officially departs the company
- Apple makes change to show Crimea differently in its apps to satisfy Russian government
- Apple’s new ‘Make Someone’s Holiday’ ad uses the iPad to create a moment out of memories
- $5B class action lawsuit accusing Apple of selling customer data is thrown out
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
9to5Mac Watch Time episode 11 |
Tom, Vincent, and Chris from the Apple Watchcast podcast join Watch Time to discuss the origin of their Apple Watch-focused podcast, the Apple Watch Series 5, maintaining health goals with the Activity app, running with technology from the Walkman to the Apple Watch, and much more!
9to5Mac Watch Time is a seasonal podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how the Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is now available on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and your favorite podcast player through RSS. Subscribe now to enjoy our teaser trailer and hear new episodes as soon as they drop — starting next week.
Happy Hour Podcast #253 |
Apple’s annual special holiday ad is out alongside Black Friday through Cyber Monday promotions, Benjamin and Zac take a retrospective look at Group FaceTime and how it’s perfect for the holidays, the prospect an using a cellular Apple Watch with kids, and much more.
Stacktrace Podcast #64 |
A first-hand impressions review of the 16-inch MacBook Pro, a second opinion on the AirPods Pro, writing system packages in Swift, preparing conference talks, new Stacktrace Arcade picks, and much more.
Apple @ Work |
Apple @ Work is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing hundreds of Macs and hundreds of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Apple @ Work: Privileges for macOS is the open source tool that all Apple IT departments need
- Apple @ Work: When to deploy macOS Catalina, iOS 13, and iPadOS 13
- Apple @ Work: IoT devices face security problems that must be addressed
- Apple @ Work: Did web apps allow the Mac to flourish in the enterprise?
- Apple @ Work: Why are IT professionals choosing Apple products when they used to ban them?
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.