In this week’s top stories: The Epic vs Apple case begins, new tidbits about AirTags, iPhone 13 design details, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top stories and more.
The Epic vs Apple case
This week marked the beginning of the Epic vs Apple legal trial over App Store policies. While we still have several weeks to go before any decision is made, week one included a variety of fascinating details about the inner-workings of the App Store.
Be sure to check out our full recap of week one right here.
On Monday, Apple released iOS 14.5.1 to the public with bug fixes for App Tracking Transparency as well as an important security fix. Apple says iOS 14.5.1 fixes a bug that prevented some users from seeing App Tracking Transparency prompts:
This update fixes an issue with App Tracking Transparency where some users who previously disabled Allow Apps to Request to Track in Settings may not receive prompts from apps after re-enabling it. This update also provides important security updates and is recommended for all users.
A new report this week indicated that, following the introduction of colorful new iMac models, Apple plans to introduce new colors for the MacBook.
Leaker Jon Prosser said in a video on his YouTube channel that Apple has been testing prototypes of a new MacBook model in more colors, including a blue one. Prosser’s source suggests that Apple will bring in “colors for average consumers,” suggesting that it is likely the MacBook Air — or a new MacBook lineup — that will get color options.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Apple releases iOS 14.5.1 with fix for App Tracking Transparency bug [U]
- Opting in to App Tracking? Only 4% of Americans are doing so
- Facebook encourages iOS 14.5 users to enable tracking so its apps remain ‘free of charge’
- Apple says iOS 14.5.1 and macOS 11.3.1 patch WebKit flaws that may have been actively exploited
- Apple Card Family members can order their own titanium card, likely coming with iOS 14.6
- Video: iPhone 13 Pro Max dummy unit shows smaller notch with relocated ear speaker
- iPhone: How to use Face ID with a mask
- iPhone 12 vs. iPhone 12 Pro: Which should you buy in 2021?
- Kuo: Apple expected to ship 20 million units of first foldable iPhone in 2023
- Video: Apple highlights iPhone 12 camera with new Everyday Experiments: ‘Full Bloom’
Apple Watch |
- watchOS 8: Four short feature requests for future Apple Watch updates
- Apple Watch blood sugar measurement could be a step closer
- Opinion: It’s time for Apple to discontinue Apple Watch Series 3
- Apple releases watchOS 7.4.1 with security improvements
- Apple surveys Apple Watch users on health features, mentions glucose monitoring
Mac and iPad |
- Did you order a new iPad Pro, 24-inch iMac, Airtag, or Apple TV?
- Kuo: New iPad mini coming later this year
- Rumor: Apple to introduce new MacBook available in iMac-style colors
- M1 MacBook Air vs Pro comparison, which should you buy?
- Zoom gained access to private iPad camera API for special multitasking
Top Apple stories, retail |
Epic vs Apple |
- Emails reveal 128 million iOS users were affected by ‘XcodeGhost’ malware
- Emails reveal Apple’s attempts to stop Netflix from dropping App Store In-App Purchase support
- Apple banned Shadow app after Microsoft used it as an example to get xCloud for iOS approved
- New emails show Steve Jobs referred to Facebook as ‘Fecebook’ amid App Store conflict
- App Store VP testifies in Epic trial as emails reveal special API access for Hulu and other devs
- Epic case begins; Google undermines key Apple argument
- Epic/Apple case reveals hollow tvOS and watchOS App Stores
- Epic CEO says he would have taken a special App Store deal if Apple had offered
- Epic vs. Apple trial begins in chaos with Fortnite and Apple fans flooding the public call line
- Apple and Epic go head-to-head in fiery opening remarks of highly-anticipated trial
- Emails show Apple’s internal debate over showing ads in the App Store
- AirTags for checked baggage – the good and bad news
- Video: User rebuilds AirTag as a thinner card that fits into wallets
- AirTag stalking ‘frighteningly easy’; multiple problems identified
- The best AirTag keychains, cases, straps, and much more
- Hidden debug mode for AirTags found in iOS 14.5
- Concept: Enhancing AirTag with family sharing, widgets, and an Apple Watch app
- AirTag review: An easy-to-use item tracker empowered by a network of a billion iPhone users
- AirTags withdrawn from sale by Australian chain; safety concerns
- AirTag: What are you using with Apple’s new Find My trackers?
AAPL Company |
- Warren Buffett says it ‘was probably a mistake’ to sell nearly 10M shares of AAPL last year
- With WWDC less than a month away, catch up on our concepts for Apple’s 5 platforms
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- The Rewind: revisiting the iPhone 12 – purple edition [Video]
- The super-easy guide for installing Windows on M1 Macs using Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Dark Sky iOS app, website, and API now scheduled to shut down at the end of 2022 following Apple acquisition Apple to begin releasing AirPods Pro firmware betas to developers Apple’s new 24-inch M1 iMac drops to new Amazon all-time low, more up to $127 off Spigen AirTags Case go on sale for the very first time from $15 Best Buy Father's Day sale goes live for 2021 9to5Toys (@9to5toys) / Twitter
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Follow Blair: Twitter: @Blairaltland Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Rahul Matta Twitter @rmatta Twitter @TempoLog Blog indie.sh Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Toning down the Apple Watch: Tips and feature requests to avoid being overwhelmed Apple releases watchOS 7.4.1 with security improvements Apple Watch blood sugar and blood pressure measurement could be a step closer watchOS 7.4 brings iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @ apollozac.com Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Read More WWDC
Roundup: Here are six things Apple didn’t announce during WWDC 2021 Apple reveals 12 winners of the 2021 Apple Design Awards, including Carrot Weather, Pok Pok Playroom, and League of Legends M1X MacBook Pro referenced in metadata for Apple’s WWDC YouTube video
Hands-on: watchOS 8 brings major always-on display upgrades for third-party and Apple apps Apple sets Apple Watch Activity Challenge for International Day of Yoga later this month Apple releases watchOS 8 beta 1 to developers watchOS 8 for Apple Watch brings Photos improvements, mindfulness features, multiple timers, more
Hands-on: iOS 15 brings an all-new Weather app with maps, animations, and more Hands-on: Here’s how iPhone’s Live Text OCR works in iOS 15 iOS 15 tidbits: AirPrint overhaul, live locations in Find My, more iOS 15: Here’s everything new in FaceTime Hands-on: Here’s how the new iPhone Focus mode works in iOS 15
How to install the iOS 15 and iPadOS 15 developer betas iPadOS 15 and macOS Monterey bring Low Power Mode to iPad and Mac, here’s how to enable it iPadOS 15 coming to all iPads supported by iPadOS 14 this fall, here’s the full list Translate app coming to iPadOS 15 with system-wide translations
Here’s how to install the macOS Monterey developer beta Apple exec goes in-depth on Shortcuts for Mac in ‘Mac Power Users’ podcast interview Hands-on: macOS 12 brings new ‘Object Capture’ API for creating 3D models using iPhone camera macOS Monterey enhances iPhone and iPad apps on M1 Macs with full-screen video, Apple Pay, more
Apple details how Spatial Audio works on Apple TV with tvOS 15 Comment: Apple almost forgot about tvOS 15, but here’s everything new Apple announces updates to tvOS: SharePlay, “Hey Siri”, more
Apple engineer talks new Swift features and more in podcast interview following WWDC21 Apple to begin releasing AirPods Pro firmware betas to developers Potential evidence of updated Intel-powered Mac Pro surfaces in Xcode beta tvOS 15 lets you sign in to apps using Face ID on your iPhone
Listen to more 9to5 Podcasts
Stacktrace Alphabet Scoop Electrek The Buzz Podcast Space Explored
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Happy Hour!
Stacktrace Podcast |
Sponsored by Kandji: A modern, cloud-based platform for centrally managing and securing your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV devices, saving IT teams countless hours of manual work with features like one-click compliance templates and 150+ pre-built automations, apps, and workflows. Request access.
Download MP3 Poker scorecard Review our bets from last week's poker game in the score card.
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
Avoiding ‘WWDC stress’ Swift by Sundell episode with Sean Allen AVPlayer Apple’s “Made for Spatial Audio” playlist
Subscribe: 🟣 Apple Podcasts 🟠 Overcast 🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Teradici and MacStadium collaborate to unlock high-performance remote access for macOS Teradici Mac Solutions
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
- Apple @ Work Podcast: High-performance remote access with Teradici
- Mosyle launches free edition and Mosyle Fuse to take MDM to the next level
- Claris CEO Brad Freitag discusses why Claris Connect is uniquely positioned to solve integrations with SIS Vendors
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Secure K-12 iPads with Spin Safe Browser
- Mac backup technology with pCloud
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.