In this week’s top stories: Apple releases iOS 13.5.1, new evidence of a services bundle, iPad and iPad Pro rumors, and much much more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest news.
Leading off this week, Apple released iOS 13.5.1 to the public. Apple confirmed that this update patches a vulnerability that allowed applications “to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges.” Most importantly, this was the vulnerability being used by the unc0ver jailbreak
And also for developers and public beta users, Apple released the first beta of iOS 13.5.5. Apple did not specify what new features were included in this update, but it likely includes similar security vulnerability patches to iOS 13.5.1.
The iOS 13.5.5 beta includes the first hidden evidence of a new audio stories feature coming to Apple News+ subscribers. There is also evidence of new iPadOS keyboard capabilities as well as an Apple services bundle.
As far as iPad rumors, a supply chain report this week indicated that the upcoming iPad Air 4 will feature USB-C connectivity. This would mark the first time in the iPad lineup that Apple has made the switch to USB-C outside of the iPad Pro. A separate report also offered new details on what to expect from the next iPad Pro.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
iOS | tvOS |
- iOS 14 roundup: What we know before WWDC 2020
- Apple releases iOS 13.5.1 and watchOS 6.2.6 with ‘important security updates’
- iOS 13.5.5 code provides evidence of future Apple services bundle in development
- iOS 14 to include built-in translator in Safari, full Apple Pencil support on websites
- Report: iOS 14 will support all iPhones that run iOS 13
- Apple releases first betas of iOS 13.5.5 and iPadOS 13.5.5 to developers
- iPhone 11 customers noticing random green display bug, unclear how to fix
- Rumor: Alleged 2021 5.5-inch iPhone prototype shows notchless screen and USB-C port
- Images claim to show iPhone 12 dummy units with relocated SIM tray to make room for 5G AiP
- iPhone 12 launch delayed to Q4 per major Apple supplier
- Supply-chain backs iPhone 12 launch in October; early production for one model
- Here’s our first look at new Apple News+ Audio hidden feature in iOS 13.5.5 beta
Apple Watch |
- Leaked images may show redesigned Leather Loop for Apple Watch
- Apple releases first developer beta of watchOS 6.2.8
- Apple Watch ECG app likely coming to Brazil and Japan next
iPad and Mac |
- Report: Fourth-generation iPad Air to switch to USB-C, iPad mini sticking with Lightning
- Next-gen iPad Pro will support fast 5G, launch in first half of next year
- iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard: Hands-on impressions after 6 weeks
- [Update: Apple explains] Apple doubles cost of RAM upgrade for entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro
- Apple releases first beta of macOS 10.15.6, supplemental update for macOS 10.15.5
Top Apple stories, retail |
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
- Boarded up Apple Stores become unofficial canvases for peaceful protest
- Apple temporarily closes US retail stores in wake of widespread looting and protests
Apple TV |
- Apple TV+ Guide: Here are all the Apple TV shows and movies available now
- Apple TV gains Peloton workout app following Fire TV and Chromecast support
- Apple hires Amazon Video executive James DeLorenzo to lead sports division on Apple TV
- Philips Hue bulb brightness about to double, but with two drawbacks
- [Preorders now open] Eve Cam indoor camera announced with support for HomeKit Secure Video
Top Apple stories, company |
- Apple Music joins wider music industry Black Out Tuesday awareness campaign with app takeover
- Here’s what Apple’s mysterious network adapter for internal use looks like
- Apple releases new open source ‘Password Manager Resources’ project for developers
- Judge allows shareholders to sue Apple over Tim Cook’s comments on iPhone demand in China
- Apple to add 0% interest Apple Card payment plans for iPad, Mac, AirPods and more
- Tim Cook tells staff in response to killing of George Floyd: ‘we must do more’
- Bloomberg details how Apple Park staff will return during COVID-19: elevator limit, masks required, more
- Apple CEO Tim Cook speaks out on George Floyd’s ‘senseless killing’ in open letter on racism and equality
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Mac 101: the best way to clean your MacBook’s screen [Video]
- First look: Apple News+ Audio in iOS 13.5.5 beta [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 9to5Mac Daily: June 05, 2020 – Apple services bundle evidence, more
- 9to5Mac Daily: June 04, 2020 – 5G and mini-LED iPad Pro rumors, more
- 9to5Mac Daily: June 03, 2020 – More iOS 14 leaks, iPad Air 4 rumors
- 9to5Mac Daily: June 02, 2020 – iOS 13.5.1 release, Apple News+ Audio Stories
- 9to5Mac Daily: June 01, 2020 – iPhone 12 rumors, Apple Store closures
9to5Mac Watch Time episode #24 |
9to5Mac Watch Time is usually a podcast about the Apple Watch and how it impacts peoples lives. This week I want to focus on a different impact being made in peoples lives across the United States and around the world since last week.
- Monowear Design: Check out the latest collections of premium bands and accessories for the Apple Watch from Monowear.
- Pillow: Pillow is an all-in-one sleep tracking solution to help you get a better night’s sleep. Download it from the App Store today.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how the Apple Watch is affecting their lives. 9to5Mac Watch Time is available on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and your favorite podcast player through RSS.
Happy Hour Podcast 280 |
This week Zac and Benjamin take 9to5Mac Happy Hour live on video for the first time to discuss the upcoming Apple News+ Audio feature, evidence of an Apple bundle in code, iPad Pro and iPad Air 4 rumors, and much more.
Stacktrace Podcast 086 |
Preparations for WWDC, a look at the first COVID-19 exposure notification apps powered by Apple and Google’s system, and a deep dive into the world of Reactive Programming through frameworks like RxSwift and Combine. Also, will cross-platform technologies like Flutter ever take over native iOS development?
- ZeroSSL: A new, completely free and trusted certificate authority and SSL Platform, aiming to make it easy and extremely affordable to create SSL certificates.Try ZeroSSL today for free.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
In this episode of the Apple @ Work podcast, Bradley is joined by Lindsey Koshansky of Locus Health to discuss at-home patient monitoring with iPad, improving patient satisfaction, and the future of healthcare.
Apple @ Work and Making the Grade |
Apple @ Work is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing hundreds of Macs and hundreds of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Apple @ Work: What are the best management options for Ubiquiti networks?
- Making the Grade: Augmented Reality apps to enhance at-home learning
- Making the Grade: How do you choose between iPad, Chromebook, and laptop?
- Making the Grade: Why ‘OS Recovery’ will be a key feature for K-12 iOS deployments
- Apple @ Work: G Suite has brought immense benefits to Apple focused organizations
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.