In this week’s top stories: Apple confirms its September 15 event, but no new iPhones are expected. Plus, iOS 14 beta testing continues, the Apple Face Mask, and much more. Read on for all of this week’s top stories.
Apple this week officially set the stage for its virtual September 15 event. Almost immediately after invites were sent with the “Time Flies” tagline, reports suggested that the iPhone 12 would not be announced during the event. Instead, Apple’s September 15 showing will reportedly focus primarily on Apple Watch and the rumored iPad Air 4.
Also ahead of the September 15 event, Apple released iOS 14 beta 8 to developers and public beta users. This could be the last beta release before the golden master of iOS 14 is released, and we expect more details on the iOS 14 stable release during Tuesday’s event.
You can find our full roundup of everything to expect at the September 15 event right here.
Elsewhere, Apple made several changes to its App Store review guidelines this week. The new guidelines formalize the requirements for streaming game services on the App Store, including that each game must be submitted to the App Store individually. Other changes to the guidelines center around in-app purchases, App Clips, and more.
Peloton this week unveiled a new Bike+ featuring Apple’s GymKit platform. With GymKit integration, Apple Watch users can simply tap the display of the Peloton Bike+ to seamlessly start a workout and track heart rate and calories. You can find more details about the Peloton Bike+ over at our newest 9to5Mac sister site Connect The Watts.
Finally, evidence continues to emerge to suggest that Apple is planning a bundle of its subscription services dubbed “Apple One.” 9to5Mac and 9to5Google respectively found references to Apple One in iOS and the Apple Music app for Android. We could learn more about Apple One as soon as Tuesday.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- iOS 14: How to set Google Chrome as your default browser on iPhone
- Apple releases iOS 14 beta 8 to developers, more
- How to manage COVID-19 exposure notifications on iPhone
- Apple stops signing iOS 13.6.1, blocking downgrades from recently released iOS 13.7
- Alleged hands-on video shows 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro rear shell with LiDAR placement
- Can you use MacBook Pro chargers for iPhone and iPad fast charging?
- Supply-chain report says evidence 6.1-inch iPhones will go on sale first
- Download these Apple September event-inspired iPhone wallpapers
- Report: Apple to begin iPhone 12 mass production soon, AirTags production already started
- Apple patent suggests iPhone will get the same water-ejection system as Apple Watch
- Apple wins fresh patent for under-display Touch ID
Apple Watch |
- Everything we know so far about Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple’s rumored Series 3 replacement
- Rumor: Apple Watch Series 3 replacement to get Series 4 design, but no ECG
- Most Apple Watch Series 5 models unavailable from Apple ahead of rumored Series 6 release
- Bloomberg: Apple September event focused on iPad and Apple Watch, iPhone 12 won’t be announced until October
- Apple’s YouTube stream for September event includes reference to Apple Watch Series 6 announcement
- Apple Watch Series 3: Should you buy now or wait for Apple’s September event?
- Rumor: Apple Watch Series 6 to come in new color
- Peloton launches new ‘Bike+’ exercise bike featuring Apple Watch GymKit support
- Apple Watch Diary: A comparison with the Withings ScanWatch
Mac and iPad |
- Rumor: iPad Air 4 could be more expensive than $499
- Big Sur Diary: First impressions are mostly good, despite iOS-sification concerns
- Apple Silicon Macs – chip production on schedule for Q4
Top Apple stories, retail |
- The lantern on the bay: Apple Marina Bay Sands illuminates Singapore
- Redesigned Apple Cherry Hill opens with outdoor plaza
- Under the dome: Apple Marina Bay Sands opens in Singapore
- Apple Oakridge Centre will permanently close exactly 11 years after opening
- All-new Apple Cherry Hill opens September 10 in New Jersey
- Apple’s new App Store guidelines address streaming game services, in-app purchases
- Comment: What’s the best email app for iPhone? [Updated for 2020]
- Apple will no longer terminate Epic’s usage of ‘Sign In with Apple’ as battle over Fortnite and the App Store continues
- Microsoft criticizes Apple’s new App Store rules for streaming game services as a ‘bad experience for customers’
Apple TV |
- Apple TV+ Guide: Here are all the Apple TV shows and movies available now
- How to watch Apple’s ‘Time Flies’ September event live stream on YouTube
Top Apple stories, company |
- Apple officially announces Apple Watch and iPad virtual event for September 15
- What to expect at Apple’s September 15 event: Apple Watch Series 6, new iPad Air, and more
- Apple rolling out custom-designed ‘Apple Face Mask’ to corporate and retail employees
- Four wins and three misses for Apple Card in year one
- Hyped for the September event? Check out Apple’s AR event Easter egg
- ‘Apple One’ subscription bundle confirmed by Apple Music for Android ahead of Sept. 15 event
- Apple countersues Epic Games for damages in latest escalation of Fortnite/App Store battle
- Bloomberg: Apple ‘increasingly focused on succession planning’ as Tim Cook enters 10th year in CEO role
- Apple One’ subscription bundle references found in iOS code ahead of September event
- Meet Eyedrive, Apple’s system for building Maps and testing autonomous driving
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
Sponsored by Direct Mail: Create and send great looking email newsletters with Direct Mail, an easy to use email marketing app for the Mac. Get started for free and save 10% when you sign up for any pricing plan.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Smaller notch in this year's iPhones – another report- 9to5Mac Apple's first headset will be the Mac Pro of VR devices – report – 9to5Mac AirPods Max battery drain reports surface, some saying they empty overnight
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time Season 3 Coming Soon |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
Follow Zac: Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Miles: Instagram @SomeOfMiles Twitter @SomeOfMiles Follow 9to5Mac: Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
- Miles Somerville on YouTube, drumming, and closing rings
- Arthur Ware on overcoming obstacles and becoming a Spartan athlete
- Anastasia Folorunso on Apple Watch Series 6, watchOS 7, and Fitness+
- Jeff Benjamin on Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 ahead of new models
- What's new in watchOS 7? Sleep tracking, face sharing, hand washing, and more
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Sponsored by Fundrise: Welcome to the future of real estate investing.
Sponsored by Pillow: Pillow is an all-in-one sleep tracking solution to help you get a better night’s sleep. Download it from the App Store today.
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Read More Bloomberg: Apple testing in-screen Touch ID for 2021 iPhone, AirTags coming this year Bloomberg: Apple testing in-screen Touch ID for 2021 iPhone, AirTags coming this year Apple again extends Apple TV+ free trials, subscribers now get free access until July 2021 Bloomberg: New iMac with Pro Display XDR design coming this year, cheaper external display also planned Apple begins blocking M1 Mac users from side loading iPhone and iPad applications Comment: Can the 2021 MacBook Pro reports be right? Bloomberg: 2021 MacBook Pro to charge faster via MagSafe, ‘redesigned MacBook Air’ also planned Kuo details 2021 MacBook Pro: new design with squared-off sides, MagSafe connector and IO return, Touch Bar removed
Stacktrace Podcast |
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
John’s article about accessing a Swift property wrapper’s enclosing instance The Swift Evolution proposal for property wrappers Bloomberg’s latest reports
New iMac, Mac Pro, and external monitor New MacBook Pros Foldable iPhones
The Power Mac G4 Cube Swift Package Manager Linking an Xcode target to frameworks and libraries
Subscribe: 🟣 Apple Podcasts 🟠 Overcast 🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Links mentioned in this episode
Osmo New Products from Osmo
9to5Mac Apple Repair Services
Connect with Bradley
Listen and Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.