In this week’s top stories: Apple confirms its September 15 event, but no new iPhones are expected. Plus, iOS 14 beta testing continues, the Apple Face Mask, and much more. Read on for all of this week’s top stories.
Apple this week officially set the stage for its virtual September 15 event. Almost immediately after invites were sent with the “Time Flies” tagline, reports suggested that the iPhone 12 would not be announced during the event. Instead, Apple’s September 15 showing will reportedly focus primarily on Apple Watch and the rumored iPad Air 4.
Also ahead of the September 15 event, Apple released iOS 14 beta 8 to developers and public beta users. This could be the last beta release before the golden master of iOS 14 is released, and we expect more details on the iOS 14 stable release during Tuesday’s event.
You can find our full roundup of everything to expect at the September 15 event right here.
Elsewhere, Apple made several changes to its App Store review guidelines this week. The new guidelines formalize the requirements for streaming game services on the App Store, including that each game must be submitted to the App Store individually. Other changes to the guidelines center around in-app purchases, App Clips, and more.
Peloton this week unveiled a new Bike+ featuring Apple’s GymKit platform. With GymKit integration, Apple Watch users can simply tap the display of the Peloton Bike+ to seamlessly start a workout and track heart rate and calories. You can find more details about the Peloton Bike+ over at our newest 9to5Mac sister site Connect The Watts.
Finally, evidence continues to emerge to suggest that Apple is planning a bundle of its subscription services dubbed “Apple One.” 9to5Mac and 9to5Google respectively found references to Apple One in iOS and the Apple Music app for Android. We could learn more about Apple One as soon as Tuesday.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- iOS 14: How to set Google Chrome as your default browser on iPhone
- Apple releases iOS 14 beta 8 to developers, more
- How to manage COVID-19 exposure notifications on iPhone
- Apple stops signing iOS 13.6.1, blocking downgrades from recently released iOS 13.7
- Alleged hands-on video shows 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro rear shell with LiDAR placement
- Can you use MacBook Pro chargers for iPhone and iPad fast charging?
- Supply-chain report says evidence 6.1-inch iPhones will go on sale first
- Download these Apple September event-inspired iPhone wallpapers
- Report: Apple to begin iPhone 12 mass production soon, AirTags production already started
- Apple patent suggests iPhone will get the same water-ejection system as Apple Watch
- Apple wins fresh patent for under-display Touch ID
Apple Watch |
- Everything we know so far about Apple Watch Series 6 and Apple’s rumored Series 3 replacement
- Rumor: Apple Watch Series 3 replacement to get Series 4 design, but no ECG
- Most Apple Watch Series 5 models unavailable from Apple ahead of rumored Series 6 release
- Bloomberg: Apple September event focused on iPad and Apple Watch, iPhone 12 won’t be announced until October
- Apple’s YouTube stream for September event includes reference to Apple Watch Series 6 announcement
- Apple Watch Series 3: Should you buy now or wait for Apple’s September event?
- Rumor: Apple Watch Series 6 to come in new color
- Peloton launches new ‘Bike+’ exercise bike featuring Apple Watch GymKit support
- Apple Watch Diary: A comparison with the Withings ScanWatch
Mac and iPad |
- Rumor: iPad Air 4 could be more expensive than $499
- Big Sur Diary: First impressions are mostly good, despite iOS-sification concerns
- Apple Silicon Macs – chip production on schedule for Q4
Top Apple stories, retail |
- The lantern on the bay: Apple Marina Bay Sands illuminates Singapore
- Redesigned Apple Cherry Hill opens with outdoor plaza
- Under the dome: Apple Marina Bay Sands opens in Singapore
- Apple Oakridge Centre will permanently close exactly 11 years after opening
- All-new Apple Cherry Hill opens September 10 in New Jersey
- Apple’s new App Store guidelines address streaming game services, in-app purchases
- Comment: What’s the best email app for iPhone? [Updated for 2020]
- Apple will no longer terminate Epic’s usage of ‘Sign In with Apple’ as battle over Fortnite and the App Store continues
- Microsoft criticizes Apple’s new App Store rules for streaming game services as a ‘bad experience for customers’
Apple TV |
- Apple TV+ Guide: Here are all the Apple TV shows and movies available now
- How to watch Apple’s ‘Time Flies’ September event live stream on YouTube
Top Apple stories, company |
- Apple officially announces Apple Watch and iPad virtual event for September 15
- What to expect at Apple’s September 15 event: Apple Watch Series 6, new iPad Air, and more
- Apple rolling out custom-designed ‘Apple Face Mask’ to corporate and retail employees
- Four wins and three misses for Apple Card in year one
- Hyped for the September event? Check out Apple’s AR event Easter egg
- ‘Apple One’ subscription bundle confirmed by Apple Music for Android ahead of Sept. 15 event
- Apple countersues Epic Games for damages in latest escalation of Fortnite/App Store battle
- Bloomberg: Apple ‘increasingly focused on succession planning’ as Tim Cook enters 10th year in CEO role
- Apple One’ subscription bundle references found in iOS code ahead of September event
- Meet Eyedrive, Apple’s system for building Maps and testing autonomous driving
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
Sponsored by Direct Mail: Create and send great looking email newsletters with Direct Mail, an easy to use email marketing app for the Mac. Get started for free and save 10% when you sign up for any pricing plan.
iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Apple Watch can help detect apple left ventricular dysfunction Apple launches redesigned iCloud web interface Save $499 on Apple’s latest 16-inch M1 Pro MacBook Pro at new all-time low of $2,000 Apple’s latest 10.2-inch iPad lands right at expected Black Friday price of $270 (Save $59) ecobee’s latest Smart Thermostats arrive at Black Friday prices early from $159 (Save $31)
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Spotify TuneIn Google Play
Catch up on 9to5Mac Daily episodes!
Don’t miss out on our other daily podcasts:
Quick Charge 9to5Toys Daily
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
- iPhone 14 satellite mode launches, Always-On display changes, MLS Season Pass
- November 17, 2022 – iPhone 15 Pro with Thunderbolt 3?
- November 16, 2022 – Apple and MLS deal, iPhone 14 Pro delays mount
- November 15, 2022 – iPhone 14 satellite features now available
- November 14, 2022 – The latest on Apple’s AR/VR headset
9to5Mac Watch Time Season 3 Coming Soon |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Rahul Matta Twitter @rmatta Twitter @TempoLog Blog indie.sh Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Toning down the Apple Watch: Tips and feature requests to avoid being overwhelmed Apple releases watchOS 7.4.1 with security improvements Apple Watch blood sugar and blood pressure measurement could be a step closer watchOS 7.4 brings iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Sponsored by Fundrise: Welcome to the future of real estate investing.
Sponsored by Pillow: Pillow is an all-in-one sleep tracking solution to help you get a better night’s sleep. Download it from the App Store today.
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Read More
Apple’s Black Friday Shopping Event is kicking off around the world; here are the details When is Apple Music Classical launching? Review: AirPods Max are as important for music to me now as the iPod was [U: November 2022] Yes, Phil Schiller deleted his Twitter account; no, Apple has not removed its tweets iPhone 15 design to feature titanium case, may have iPhone 5C-style rounded back – leaker iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Pro: What the early rumors say about new features
Listen to more Happy Hour Episodes
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Listen to more 9to5 Podcasts
Apple @ Work Alphabet Scoop Electrek The Buzz Podcast Space Explored Rapid Unscheduled Discussions
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Happy Hour or shop 9to5Mac Merch!
- iPhone 15 rumors, HomeKit Secure Video, Apple Black Friday
- iPhone 14 satellite mode launches, Always-On display changes, MLS Season Pass
- New Apple TV hands-on, sports streaming, iOS 16.2 beta
- No more new Macs this year, 16-inch iPad rumors, iCloud web app redesign
- App Store ads, Apple Music and TV+ price hike, first iOS 16.2 beta
Stacktrace Podcast |
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Addigy + MalwareBytes Addigy Launches New Integration with Malwarebytes
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
Listen to Past Episodes
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.