Back to School Stories July 15
Back to School Stories July 27, 2019
Back to school season is moving full steam ahead, with many universities and schools just a month away from heading back to class. This day and age, its crucial to start the year off on the right foot tech-wise. Read on as we round-up some of the best back to school tech and accessories for the 2019-2020 school year.
Back to School Stories July 9, 2019
Apple has launched its 2019 Back to School deals with its typical promotion. The company will give students a free pair of Beats headphones when they buy an eligible Apple device.
For the first time, the promo includes the high-end Beats Studio 3 over-ear headphones, when buying an iMac or Mac notebook.
Back to School Stories January 3, 2019
Back to School Stories August 16, 2018
Back to school season is in full swing as we move through the month of August. With many students already back in the classroom and many preparing, it’s crucial to start off the year with the right technology and accessories to succeed.
Read on as we round-up some of the best technology and accessories for use this school year…
Back to School Stories July 12, 2018
Update: Apple has confirmed that this year’s Back to School deal will again be a free pair of Beats headphones. This year it’s the Beats Solo3.
The new MacBook Pro is also part of Apple’s Back to School promotion starting today and available to college students, their parents, faculty and staff through the Apple Education Store. The promotion includes a pair of qualifying Beats headphones with the purchase of any eligible Mac or iPad Pro for college, as well as education pricing on Mac, iPad Pro, AppleCare, select accessories and more.
Apple’s higher education website is currently down, with a ‘back soon’ message. The message says ‘We’ll be back. We’re busy updating the Apple Store for you. Please check back soon.’ …
Back to School Stories July 24, 2017
Update: Online chat with Apple support indicates Back to School is launching in Germany on August 8. It’s likely to roll out to the UK and other European countries the same day.
This year’s Back to School deal, in which Apple offers a free pair of Beats headphones in addition to the normal education discount, is expected to be rolled out in the UK imminently.
A source tells us that Apple is in the final stages of preparations for the UK launch of the deal, which was first announced in the U.S. earlier this month …
Back to School Stories February 6, 2017
Apple is launching its annual Back to School promotion on Macs and iPads this week in New Zealand and Australia. Localized as ‘Back to Uni’, this year’s promotion runs from February 7 to March 16 and includes Apple Store credit for qualified purchases. Apple’s Back to School promo is also live in Japan.
Back to School Stories August 6, 2016
As we head into back to school season, many students, teachers, and parents are looking to update to the latest technology in order to have the smoothest school year possible. New laptops are purchased, phones are upgraded, accessories are bought, and much more. This year, we’ve decided to give you a breakdown of some of the best technology you can buy for the upcoming school year.
Back to School Stories June 15, 2016
[UPDATE: Apple’s Back To School program has now launched in China, as well.]
Apple’s 2016 Back to School Beats kicked off in the United States at the beginning of the month and has today expanded internationally across Europe. Students in United Kingdom, France, Germany, Netherlands and more can now take advantage of the summer promotion at Apple Stores in their country as well as online.
Like the US, eligible purchases of certain Macs come with free Beats Solo2 wireless headphones worth $299 at retail. For iPad and iPhone, select iOS device purchases come with free Beats Powerbeats2 wireless headphones, worth $199 at retail.
Back to School Stories June 2, 2016
Earlier today Apple announced the start of their annual Back to School promotion for 2016. This year eligible purchases of a Mac, iPad, or iPhone will come bundled with a pair of wireless Beats headphones. This is reminiscent of last year’s Back to School promotion, save for the fact that during this year’s promotion for the wireless headphone is the default and doesn’t require an extra $100 expense. The small, but obvious connectivity choice signals a new direction in which Apple wants its customer to think.
Apple has today launched its Back to School deals for students. Similar to last year, Apple will bundle a free pair of Beats headphones with the purchase of an eligible Apple product for college. If you buy an iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Pro or MacBook Air, you get a free pair of Beats Solo2 wireless headphones worth $299. iPad Pro, iPhone 6s and iPhone 6 buyers can get a free pair of Beats Powerbeats2 wireless headphones, worth $199 retail.
Standard Apple student education discount also applies on Mac and iPad purchases. Although this is one of the best times to buy a Mac or iPad direct from Apple Store, you may save money from buying elsewhere …
Back to School Stories February 3, 2016
Apple’s annual Back to School program returns in Australia and New Zealand with a promotion to receive a pair of Beats Solo2 On-Ear Headphones with qualifiying Mac purchases. Customers may also alternatively choose to receive savings on a new iPad (although there is currently an error on both sites not indicating how much can be saved). Last year’s promotion in Australia and New Zealand included an Apple Store gift card up to A$100/NZ$125, so it’s nice to see them promoting the acquired Beats brand and giving away instant credit for the headphones.
Back to School Stories August 23, 2015
The new school year is rapidly approaching, and that means stocking up on supplies and the latest tech to be ready for class by early next month. Since we’re tracking the latest deals from around the web incessantly over at 9to5Toys, and reviewing the best in tech for your Mac, iOS, and Android devices on 9to5Mac and 9to5Google, we’ve rounded up the team to put together a gift guide with our top picks for gear, supplies, apps and more to get you through the year. expand full story
Back to School Stories August 6, 2015
Apple last month kicked off its annual Back to School promotion, announcing that it is giving away a free pair of Beats Solo 2 headphones with the purchase of any eligible Mac. At the time, however, the promo was limited to Apple retail stores, with the promise of the deal coming later on to Apple’s online store. Starting today, however, Apple’s Back to School promotion is now available via Apple’s online store.
Back to School Stories July 30, 2015
9to5Toys Last Call: ecobee3 Smart Thermostat $180, LEGO iOS sale, Drive Genius 4 Mac download $50, more
Today’s can’t miss deals:
Last Call Updates:
App Store Free App of the Week: Worms3 ($5 value)
- Canon’s latest camera can film in near-pitch black conditions, but costs more than your car
- Olio announces new Gold and Rose Gold options for its luxury smartwatch
- Take a peek at Nerf’s upcoming high octane blaster that shoots foam balls up to 70 mph
- The Imperial Spherification Kickstarter project turns any food into caviar
- Stream Pixar’s animated short Lava in its entirety for free
- Nintendo is reportedly readying its own monthly merchandise subscription service
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 16GB Wi-Fi Tablet in White (open box) $170 shipped (Orig. $330)
Home: ecobee3 Smart Thermostat (not HomeKit) $180 (Orig. $250), KRUPS Espresso Machine (Prime only) $30 (Orig. $60)
LEGO iOS sale: Movie Video Game hits lowest price ever, Lord of the Rings & Harry Potter $1 ea. (Reg. $5), more
Drive Genius 4 the award-winning app for maintaining & repairing your Mac: $50 (Orig. $99)
Logitech $20 off $49: MX Master Wireless Mouse $80 shipped (Reg. $100), gaming accessories, more
Amazon’s Dash Replenishment Service is here and Prime members can order today
Amazon’s new Launchpad store offers the latest gadgets from crowdfunding campaigns and startups
More new gear from today:
Daily Deals: AOC 16-inch USB-Powered Portable LED Monitor $82, Jabra STEALTH Bluetooth Headset $66, more
LEGO and Star Wars come together once again in this gorgeous new photography book
- New! Games/Apps: The Art of Fallout 4 hardcover (pre-order) $26 (Reg. $35), BLiP goes free
- New! Netgear AV1200 Powerline Ethernet Adapter Kit: $60 shipped (Reg. $80)
- New! Timex Ironman watches in multiple colors/styles: $19 Prime shipped (Orig. $43)
More deals still alive:
Free PS Plus Games for August: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris, Limbo, more
Free Xbox Live Gold Games for August: Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes, more
- Cut the cord! Mohu Leaf 50 Ultimate HDTV Antenna (open box): $30 shipped (Orig. $90)
- Magazine subs from $5/yr: Men’s Health, Wired, GQ, Dwell, more
- Headphones: Sony MDR-7506 Professional Folding $70 (Reg. $100), more
- PUMA Private Sale up to 75% off: Ferrari Pedale Grid Men’s Shoes $60, more
- ALEX Arts & Crafts Back to School Essentials 40% Off
- GoPro’s newest HERO4 Session waterproof action camera is on sale: $370 (Reg. $400)
- USB roundup: RAVPower 36W 4-Port USB wall charger $10, more
- VIZIO’s 70-inch 240Hz Smart 4K UHDTV: $1,799 shipped (Reg. $2,200)
- QNAP 2-Bay Cloud NAS w/ AirPlay support: $219 shipped (Reg. $300+)
- Newegg Monitor Sale: LG 27-inch w/ HDMI $170 shipped (Reg. $200+), more
- Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-inch Internal Solid-State Drive: $310 shipped (Reg. $3509)
- Printers: Dell LED Laser $100 (Reg. $150+), Canon All-In-One Inkjet $70 (Reg. $100)
- Etekcity 8GB Voice recorder and USB Stick: $13 shipped
- Media: $5 Blu-rays – Rush, This is 40, Public Enemies, more
- Timbuk2 Iris Gym Duffel Bag (Black) for $30 shipped (Reg. $54)
- Apple’s massive iOS sale w/ 100 apps for $0.99 ea: Rayman, Angry Birds, Pixelmator, Spider-Man, many more
- QuickRes – the app that changes your resolution in a click: 50% off
- App Store Free App of the Week: SpongeBob Moves In ($4 value)
- Disney’s award-winning Animated iPad app hits a new all-time low price of $3 (Reg. $10)
- Save 50% on the brand new Screenium 3 high-res, high-speed screen capture app for Mac
- Cook your food perfectly with the Range Smart Thermometer: $60 shipped (Orig. $70)
- iFixit Pro Tech Screwdriver Set & Jimmy Tool Bundle: $60 Shipped (Orig. $100)
- Shoot cinematic masterpieces w/ iStabilizer: $39 (Orig. $60)
- Themes for iBooks Author for $9.99 (50% off)
- Designs for Mail for $9.99 (50% off)
- Learn to build 11 apps with this exclusive iOS 9 Swift coding course: $59 (Orig. $299)
- Blinkist Premium 1-yr Subscription: 1000+ Grasp Nonfiction Books: $30 (Orig. $80)
- Complete this Chipotle trivia game & receive a buy one, get one free coupon
New products & more:
Livescribe announces new Echo Smartpen Pro Edition with 8GB of storage
The LEGO Architect shows you how to build exact replicas of famous buildings and homes
- Kodak’s 360 degree action camera adds must-see YouTube capabilities
- Munchtime T-Rex chopsticks and more kitchen gadgets that’ll make you go aww
- Knock those piggies down in 3D with this oversized Angry Birds arcade cabinet
- This Lightning cable cleverly solves an annoyance every iPhone user deals with
- Plantronics new BackBeat Sense Bluetooth headphones are loaded with sensor
- Make your own miniature 3D printed, Raspberry Pi-powered Game Boy emulator
- Hori’s new Tactical Assault Commander 4 brings PC style controls to the PS4
- 2K announces Terminator as a playable character for WWE 2K16
- JBL details new Flip3 & Xtreme portable Bluetooth speakers w/ fresh designs & features
Back to School Stories July 25, 2015
Apple ‘Back to School’ promo expected to go international on August 6/7
Apple recently kicked off its ‘Back to School’ promo in the US and Canada, offering customers a free pair of Beats headphones for buying a Mac. The same deal will be rolling out internationally in various countries on either August 6th or 7th (exact date depends on country). Like those in the US and Canada, European customers will be able snag a free pair of Beats Solo2 headphones with a qualifying Mac purchase, or get €200 discount on the Beats Wireless Solo2.
According to French Mac blog Consomac, Angela Ahrendts, the company’s retail chief told employees of its wider rollout plans in a short video:
“In the US and in Canada, in our stores and online, it is the season for Back to School. Kids go back to school in these countries earlier than a lot of other countries. It Will Be launching August 6 and August 7 in additional countries, again aligned to When Your kids and your students Actually go back to school.”
It’s expected that European customers will be subject to the same purchase rules as in the States and Canada. They’ll need to buy an iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air or Mac Pro with education pricing to get the free Beats. Build-to-order configurations are eligible, but Mac Mini is excluded from the deal.
This is first year Apple has given away Beats products with its Macs for ‘Back to School’ students. Last year, a Mac purchase got you a $100 gift card, and an iPhone or iPad purchase got you a $50 gift card.
Once the deal goes live in Europe, we’ll be sure to update you. As things stand, we’re expecting the roll out to begin in just under two weeks’ time.
Back to School Stories July 23, 2015
Apple is today launching its Back to School promotion for 2015. This year, it will give away a free pair of Beats Solo2 headphones with the purchase of an eligible Mac. Customers must either purchase an iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, or Mac Pro with education pricing to qualify, including build-to-order configurations. The Mac mini does not participate in the deal.
Alternatively, customers can upgrade for an additional $100 to a pair of wireless Beats Solo2 headphones, rather than the usual $299 price. The announcement is not yet being advertised on Apple.com apart from a small mention on its rebates page. It is surprising that there appears to be no Back to School promotion for iPads this year, despite Apple pushing the tablet into education markets.
Back to School Stories January 29, 2015
Apple’s annual Back to School sale in Australia and New Zealand has gone live with a promotion for qualifying students to receive Apple Store credit with the purchase of a Mac, iPad, or iPhone. Similar to last year, the Back to School sale includes the usual education pricing on Macs and iPads, but this year Apple is including Apple Store gift cards rather than App Store gift cards like last year. expand full story
Back to School Stories August 25, 2014
9to5Toys Last Call: Grado headphones giveaway, LifeProof nüüd iPad mini case $25, TiVo Roamio OTA, more
Today’s can’t miss deals:
Last Call Updates:
- Belkin charge & sync iPhone dock w/ built-in Lightning cable $14 Prime shipped (orig. $35)
- HDTVs w/Dell eGift Cards: Samsung 65″ HDTV + $250 GC $1,298 ($2,100 value), more
- Joy Factory carbon fiber headrest mount for tablets $50 shipped (Reg. $90)
- Garmin nüvi 5″ GPS Nav System w/ lifetime (US) map updates $85 shipped (Reg. $170)
- $100 StubHub gift card for $85 shipped (15% savings)
- One year subscription to LastPass password manager for free (Reg. $12)
- Home: KitchenAid Mixer $180 (orig. $300), Black & Decker handheld vac $33, more
Small States: Inside the world of Grado headphones, giveaway worth $495 dollars
TiVo targets cord cutters with new Roamio OTA DVR
Smart buys: our favorite back to school tech essentials
WD Elements 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Hard Drive $85 shipped (orig. $130)
Other new deals:
- New! LG announces availability details for “the world’s first OLED TV with 4K resolution”
- New! Strap a GoPro to your pooch, plus Incase now protects action cameras
- New! Games/Apps: Xbox One Madden bundle w/ $35 gift card, iOS freebies, more
- New! Jabra Solemate Mini Wireless Bluetooth Speaker $50 (orig. $100), more
- New! Daily Deals: Insignia Speakers: $40, MFi Lightning cables from $13, more
- New! Two-pack of Kensington ClickSafe $25 (Reg. up to $70)
- New! Sony PlayStation 24″ 3D 1080p 240Hz (refurb): $100 shipped (Reg $200)
- New! Sol Republic Relays In-Ear Headphones (multiple colors) $60 shipped (Reg. $80)
More tech deals still alive:
- D-Link Wireless 750 Mbps Cloud App-Enabled Dual-Band Router $50 shipped (Reg. $80)
- Hitman GO for iOS/Android now available at 60% off: $2 (Reg. $5)
- Logitech speaker systems (refurb): Z506 $41 (orig. $100 new), Z323 $26 (orig. $70 new)
- SNK Playmore 20th Anniversary $0.99 Sale: The King of Fighters ’97, Metal Slug 1-3, more
- Pro Tools 11 + Mbox Pro interface $760 shipped ($240 off), more
- Case-Mate sitewide sale: 60% off with free shipping, iPhone cases $6, more
- Samsung 48″ 1080p Smart HDTV 120Hz $600 shipped (Reg. $1000)
- iRig PRO Audio/Midi interface for iOS and Mac $118 shipped (Reg. $150)
- iClever 360 dash mount and dual USB Charger $13 (Reg. $19)
- Walmart temporarily cuts 16 GB iPhone 5c price to $.97, iPhone 5s now $79
- Apple giving out five Newsstand magazines a day till Aug. 22 in the UK
- Apple cuts prices of all Beats by Dre products by 10% through Aug. 23rd
- The Apple Store now sells an $89 refurbished iPod touch and it may actually be worth your time/money
- Garmin Fenix 2 GPS training watch w/heart rate monitor $350 shipped (Reg. $450)
- Aros smart window air conditioner $177 shipped (orig. $300), Quirky 25% off sitewide
- Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker $70 (orig. $185), French Press $40 (orig. $70), more
New products/ongoing promos:
- Reversible USB Lightning cable available for purchase
- Satechi’s latest wireless keyboard can sync with up to five Bluetooth devices at once
- Sony aims to up your tennis game with new racket sensor
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK available for $179 w/ 10% discount & $200 in content
- Samsung introduces new Level Box mini Bluetooth speaker w/ 25 hours of battery life
- TCL Roku-enabled HDTV available today for pre-order
- DSTRUX iOS app makes it safe to share risqué photos on Facebook
- LEGO Fusion brings your physical creations to life inside of companion mobile apps
- Award-winning MacLovin’ Bundle $40
- Review: Omaker MOMI Ultra Portable Metallic Wireless BT Speaker: $16 (Orig. $80)
- Philips introduces new $30 iOS/Android-controlled Hue bulb, now available for preorder
Back to School Stories July 1, 2014
As we reported two weeks ago and again yesterday, Apple has today launched its Back to School promotion for this school season. Like previous years, qualifying student customers will get a free gift card alongside any purchase of a Mac, iPad or iPhone. While last year Apple gave out Mac App Store/iTunes cards, this year’s cards are for Apple Retail Stores.
Buying any Mac makes the buyer eligible for a $100 Apple Store gift card and $50 cards will be distributed alongside iPads and iPhones.
Interested students can buy any Mac (except for the Mac Mini), or any iPad or iPhone currently on sale at the Apple Store, to be eligible for the promotion. Students can also receive education discount pricing where applicable, alongside the gift card giveaway.
Back to School runs from today until September 9th and available in many regions, including the United States, Canada, the UK and many other countries in Europe. expand full story
Back to School Stories June 30, 2014
As we reported two weeks ago, Apple’s annual Back to School promotion will begin tomorrow, according to sources. The program will be similar to last year’s offering, which provided $100 Mac App Store gift cards alongside Mac purchases and $50 cards with iPhone and iPad purchases. Apple will be re-decorating its stores overnight with a new education theme to go along with the new promotion. Earlier today, Apple unveiled upcoming iTunes U updates for the iPad, and the timing seems like anything but a coincidence.
Back to School Stories June 16, 2014
Apple could be planning to launch its annual Back to School sales promotion within the next two weeks. Apple Stores, according to several employees, will be changing the front of store glass window displays overnight on June 30th. This is the usual timeframe in which Apple launches a promotion to boost Mac, iPad, and iPhone sales in anticipation of the new school year in the fall.
Last year, the Back to School promotion consisted of $100 App Store gift cards for Mac purchases and $50 cards for iPad and iPhone purchases by students with their Student IDs. Of course, this June 30th window change could be connected to another promotion or a new product, but based on the timing, the Back to School program being in the wings seems most likely.
Back to School Stories September 2, 2013
iTunes goes back to school with $6.99 albums from Robin Thicke, Pink, Justin Timberlake, more
Nothing gets kids pumped for school like some pop music. Good news parents and teens! iTunes is having a Back to School sale on just that kind of music and is sending an email around with some pretty good deals ($6.99/each):
- Imagine Dragons – Night Visions
- Justin Timberlake – The 20/20 Experience
- Robin Thicke – Blurred Lines
- The Lumineers – The Lumineers
- Pink – The Truth About Love
- OneRepublic – Native
- Blake Shelton – Based On a True Story…
- Sara Bareilles – The Blessed Unrest
- Various Artists – Pitch Perfect (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- Lana Del Rey – Born to Die
Want a better selection? $7.99 gets you the following music