Jordan Kahn

@JordanKahn

Senior Editor, 9to5Mac – 9to5Google – 9to5Toys

Contact Jordan with news tips and long-winded complaints at Jordan@9to5mac.com.  

Jordan writes about all things Apple as a senior editor for 9to5Mac. He also covers Google for 9to5Google.com and the latest gear and deals on 9to5Toys.com.

Send tips to: Jordan@9to5mac.com Twitter: @JordanKahn FB: https://www.facebook.com/makamachine SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/makamachine

Jordan Kahn's Recommended Gear

March 11, 2013

A translated report this morning from China Times (via Macotakara) appears to claim the iPhone 5S will be the first device from Apple to include fingerprint sensor and NFC technology. According to the report, Taiwanese company Chipbond will provide the integrated touch display driver and other components necessary to implement the technology on the next-generation iPhone. While details of the translated report remain sketchy, it seems to suggest that Apple will use the fingerprint tech that it acquired in its AuthenTec purchase as a security feature for NFC payments:

The the iPhone 5S outgoing will support NFC and fingerprint recognition, fingerprint is more security than passwords, fingerprints can not be copied and will not be stolen, most secure mobile payment device allows Apple iPhone 5S.

Several analysts have predicted that Apple’s iPhone 5S upgrade would include fingerprint technology, especially after the company picked up patents and employees from AuthenTec. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo re-affirmed his earlier claims regarding Apple’s 2013 iPhone roadmap earlier this month and said Apple would include a fingerprint sensor beneath the iPhone 5S’s home button.

We have discussed on several times that Apple could bring fingerprint technology to future iOS devices following its purchase of AuthenTec in July. While including major new hardware features like fingerprint technology and NFC may seem like a bit of a stretch for an “S” upgrade, it could be the stand-out feature Apple needs (as we’ve argued before). expand full story

9to5toys 

While many early iPhone and iPad prototypes were revealed for the first time during the Apple vs. Samsung trial last year, today Ars Technica got its hands on some photos of an extremely early iPhone prototype that had not yet evolved into the iPhone form factor we know today. In fact, the large prototype with exposed components sports a larger roughly 8.6-inch display that looks closer to an iPad.

It is important to remember Steve Jobs told AllThingsD that Apple originally made an iPad, put it on the shelf, and moved to the iPhone. This is what was probably sitting on the shelf.

The prototype is apparently from 2005 and the images come from a former Apple employee who opted to remain anonymous:

That’s why we were excited to receive photos showing an in-house version of the iPhone from early 2005. The images to Ars through a former Apple employee who worked on various Apple hardware projects in the early 2000s and was thus exposed to some of the earliest versions of the iPhone. (He declined to be named out of concern for retribution from Apple.)

While the image above shows a thick, unfinished device with USB ports, Ethernet, and a serial port, the Apple employee told Ars those components were just for the development process and that “at that early date no one knew what [the final device] would be.”

We estimated the roughly 8-inch display based off the total size of the prototype being about 5″x7″. The Apple employee said that it was also about 2 inches thick and, although it “seems large now,” it was “really impressive seeing basically a version of OS X running on it” in 2005.

Ars added that the prototype appears to be running a version of the Samsung S3C2410—”a distant relative of the chip the first iPhone ended up using, just older and slower.”

Indeed, the chip shown above was clocked at 200-233MHz, while the first 2007 iPhone used a 620MHz chip underclocked to 412Mhz. “This chip is also an ARM9 chip, while the original iPhone eventually ended up using an ARM11 chip, but obviously Apple intended to use Samsung-manufactured ARM chips even this far back,” Cunningham said.

We got a look at several images of old iPhone and iPad prototype designs from Apple the vs. Samsung trial case filings last year, but today’s photos are clearly of a much earlier prototypes.

March 8, 2013

Bloomberg reported that U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul S. Grewal has ordered Apple to reveal exactly how it’s complying with previous orders to hand over evidence in a lawsuit that accused the company of collecting users’ location data. It will also have to submit documents related to its process for reviewing apps. Earlier this week, Apple’s lawyer, Ashlie Beringer, told the court that the decision to not provide emails from Steve Jobs in an order from November was a “mistake.”

“Luckily for the plaintiffs, Apple has provided more than enough evidence itself to suggest to the court that it has not fully complied with the court’s order,” Grewal wrote in the March 6 order. “In light of Apple’s performance in this case, the court cannot rely on its representations that this time it really has or will produce all responsive documents.”

According to the report, Grewal said in his order today that “it was ‘unacceptable’ that Apple waited more than three months to verify whether it complied with his November order to turn over documents.”

Apple has said previously that it has guarded some documents in the case to protect customers from harm if the documents were “inadvertently released to the public or fell into the wrong hands.”

Beringer said she and her team of lawyers reviewed more than 8,000 e-mails over the previous weekend and determined that they should turn over messages involving Apple’s late co-founder Jobs, Phil Schiller, its marketing chief, and Scott Forstall, the former head of mobile software, among others.

The result is Apple will now have to give a “detailed account” by March 8 of how it went about gathering documents it was ordered to submit to the plaintiffs: expand full story

9to5google 

March 7, 2013

Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 8.42.43 AM

Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 11.39.20 AMApple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller has been known to take to Twitter and email to voice his opinions on rival services and platforms in the past. Today, the Apple executive appears to be taking a jab at Android by tweeting out a link to a recent study from security firm F-Secure that compares security threats on mobile platforms.

Along with the link, Schiller’s tweet reads: “Be safe out there.” The linked study from F-Secure focuses on a rise in malware and security threats on Android over the last quarter:

Android malware has been strengthening its position in the mobile threat scene. Every quarter, malware authors bring forth new threat families and variants to lure more victims and to update on the existing ones. In the fourth quarter alone, 96 new families and variants of Android threats were discovered, which almost doubles the number recorded in the previous quarter. A large portion of this number was contributed by PremiumSMS—a family of malware that generates profit through shady SMS-sending practices—which unleashed 21 new variants.

The study from F-Secure shows iOS as one of the safest platforms in recent months, as it recorded among the least amount of security threats, with most attacks on iOS “intended for multiple platforms similar to the case of FinSpy4.” According to the study, Android accounted for 79 percent of all mobile malware in 2012, while iOS comes in at just 0.7-percent:

expand full story

electrek 

News:

The Croods: Previously announced, Rovio has today released the first official gameplay video for its upcoming iOS movie tie-in for DreamWorks’ upcoming ‘The Croods’ animated feature film hitting theatres March 22. Check out the full gameplay video above.

Updates:

Path version 3.0.1: Path is introducing some new features with an update to its iOS app today that brings a new Messaging features, handcrafted stickers, and a marketplace called “The Shop” where users can purchase “premium photo filters and handcrafted stickers.”

★ Messaging – The fast, fun, and private way to message your family and friends one-to-one or in small groups. Use your words, your voice, your location, media, stickers, and more! ★ Stickers – Say more in a single tap with handcrafted stickers from some of our favorite artists. ★ The Shop – The hand curated place to find premium photo filters and handcrafted stickers to make your Path experience more you. ✓ Performance improvements. ☂ Bug fixes.

Fantastical-screenshot-Fantastical version 1.1: Fantastical, the calendar app we recently reviewed and loved, is updated today with a number of new features including multiple alerts, time zone support, and much, much more. The app is also on sale for a limited time for $3.99 USD.

– Multiple alerts when creating events – Time zone support – Duplicate or move events (tap and hold an event in the event list) – Go to a specific date (tap and hold the red title bar) – Event list is now scrollable when using the calendar – Today’s timed events dim after the event has ended – Copied text containing event info can automatically be made into an event – Added setting to highlight weekends – Added setting to show empty days on the DayTicker – Added setting to display the number of today’s remaining events or date on the app icon badge – State restoration (iOS 6 only) – A staggering number of other improvements, parser enhancements, and bug fixes

Conan O’Brien Presents: Team Coco version 3.1: Conan’s iPhone app bringing content from his Team Coco site has been completely redesigned and now includes full episodes of Conan on demand as well as the two-screen syncing experience previously only available to iPad users.

Angry Birds version 3.1.0: On top of making the previously 99 cent original Angry Birds title Free today, the app (both iPad and iPhone versions) have been updated with brand new content. The updated app includes “15 fantastic new levels for the Bad Piggies episode!”

Asphalt 7: Heat version 1.0.8: New super cars and events get added to Gameloft’s popular Asphalt 7: Heat title: expand full story

March 6, 2013

Following a statement from the White House on Monday confirming it would support “narrow legislative fixes” to make unlocking cellphones legal again, several lawmakers have announced plans to introduce legislation. According to a report from The Hill, Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy and Chair of the Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy, and Consumer Rights Senator Amy Klobuchar have confirmed they will introduce bills in support of the legalization of cellphone unlocking:

“I intend to work in a bipartisan, bicameral fashion to restore users’ ability to unlock their phones and provide them with the choice and freedom that we have all come to expect in the digital era,” Leahy said in a statement.

The Judiciary Committee, which handles copyright issues, would likely have jurisdiction over any bill to legalize cellphone unlocking.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), who chairs the Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights, said she plans to introduce her own bill this week.

During a recent panel discussion on Capitol Hill, other lawmakers voiced their support for the legislation, including Representatives Darrell Issa and Jared Polis, while The Hill reported the Federal Communication Commissions’Jessica Rosenworcel “encouraged Congress to re-examine the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.”

The decision was made by the Library of Congress in October to make unlocking cellphones illegal, and that policy officially took effect in January. Following the White House’s statement in response to a petition with over 110,000 signatures, the Library of Congress issued a statement and agreed that “the question of locked cell phones has implications for telecommunications policy and that it would benefit from review and resolution in that context.” expand full story

9to5toys 

Nick Hayek, CEO of Swiss watchmaker Swatch, said today during a press conference for the company’s annual results that he doesn’t see a smart watch product from Apple being the “next revolution.” We can’t help but be reminded of Palm CEO Ed Colligan’s comments before the iPhone hit:

“We’ve learned and struggled for a few years here figuring out how to make a decent phone,” Ed Colligan apparently laughed about with John Markoff last Thursday morning. “PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.”

Hayek’s main reasoning is difficulty delivering compelling content on such a small display, something the company has explored with its Paparazzi line of watches in collaboration with Microsoft:

“Personally, I don’t believe it’s the next revolution,” the chief of the largest Swiss watchmaker said at a press conference on annual results in Grenchen, Switzerland. “Replacing an iPhone with an interactive terminal on your wrist is difficult. You can’t have an immense display.”

Hayek also reasoned that consumers often buy watches as a piece of jewelry and like to change them on any given day. The CEO claimed that Swatch has had talks with Apple over the years regarding “materials for products and so-called energy harvesting technology that would generate energy from physical movement.” Bloomberg reported earlier this year that Apple had a team of over 100 product designers working on a wristwatch-like device and more recently said Apple would launch its watch product some time this year.

expand full story

9to5google 

March 5, 2013

As Ferrari unveils its new 1 million euro “LaFerrari” hybrid, the company has also confirmed it plans to strengthen its partnership with Apple in the months to come. According to Bloomberg, Ferrari Chairman Luca Cordero Di Montezemolo said the company is now “in talks with Apple about broadening a partnership on in-car entertainment.”

Ferrari SpA, the luxury carmaker owned by Fiat SpA (F), will be “more precise” about its partnership with Apple (AAPL) Inc. in the next few months, Chairman Luca Cordero Di Montezemolo said.

Ferrari, which today unveiled the 1 million euro hybrid model “LaFerrari,” is in talks with Apple about broadening a partnership on in-car entertainment, Di Montezemolo said today at the Geneva motor show.

Ferrari also said today that its new four seater FF coupe will come equipped with iPad minis:

The FF is also now seamlessly integrated with Apple technologies, thanks to direct access to the infotainment system via SIRI voice commands and the adoption of two iPad Minis as the entertainment system of choice for the rear seat passengers.

Ferrari announced in November 2012 that Apple Senior Vice President Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue was joining its board of directors. Cue tweeted about the launch of the new LaFerrari mode today, saying, “Ferrari does it once again… it is stunning.”

The full video of Di Montezemolo speaking at the Geneva motor show is below. expand full story

electrek 

Submit a Tip

cancel

Submitting a tip constitutes permission to publish and syndicate. Please view our tips policy or see all contact options.

Powered by WordPress.com VIP