In this week’s top stories: We offer a first look at iOS 13 and macOS 10.15, Apple releases a new iPod touch, and we roundup everything to expect at WWDC 2019. Read on for all of this week’s biggest Apple news.
Following its surprise announcement of new MacBook Pro models last week, Apple this week released a new iPod touch. The new iPod touch features an A10 Fusion processor, as well as a new 256GB storage option. The design remains unchanged, with prices starting at $199.
We’re just one day away from the start of WWDC 2019, and this week 9to5Mac offered an exclusive look at iOS 13 and macOS 10.15. Our iOS 13 screenshots showcase Dark Mode, the all-new Reminders app, and much more. Meanwhile, we also offered a look at macOS 10.15 and the new TV app and Music app.
WWDC kicks off tomorrow. Apple is expected to announce iOS 13 and macOS 10.15, as well as tvOS 13 and watchOS 6. Read our full roundup of everything to expect at the event right here.
Bose this week announced new Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 as replacements for its popular QuietComfort 35 headphones. The new headphones offer 11 different levels of noise cancellation, as well as improved voice recognition and more. The new Headphones 700 are available for pre-order now at $399.
An in-depth report from The Washington Post this week found that iOS apps send an alarming amount of data to third-party companies. The report called on Apple to offer new tools for users to control background data requests, and increase transparency so users have a better idea about what’s leaving their devices.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS |
- Exclusive: Screenshots reveal iOS 13 Dark Mode, new Reminders app, more
- What to expect from macOS 10.15: New apps, Siri Shortcuts, Screen Time, and more
- Poll: Which iOS 13 feature are you most excited to try on iPhone and iPad?
- Apple increases iPhone cellular download limit from 150 MB to 200 MB
- All versions of macOS losing Back to My Mac iCloud feature in July
- Apple releasing third iOS 12.4 developer beta today [U: Now available]
- Ahead of WWDC, new evidence of the death of iTunes emerges from Apple
iPhone & iPod |
- Apple releases new iPod touch featuring A10 Fusion chip, 256 GB storage option
- iPhone X Diary: Temporarily using an iPhone 8 provides a new perspective
- Report: iPhone 11 could let users send music to two Bluetooth devices at the same time
- Revolut Apple Pay support arrives in the UK and France [U: Other countries]
Mac + iPad |
- Exclusive screenshots reveal new Music and TV apps on macOS 10.15
- MacBook Pro battery explodes and catches fire during what user claims was ‘normal use’ [Video]
- Twelve South launches BookBook for latest iPad Pro with hardback covers, built-in stand, more
Top Apple stories, retail |
- Madonna’s new Today at Apple Music Lab teaches the art of the remix
- Upgraded Apple Pioneer Place reopens in Portland
- Angela Ahrendts: ‘Incredible’ flagship stores in the pipeline, Today at Apple has been ‘absolutely huge’
Apple Watch |
- Washington Post finds 5,400 app trackers sending data from an iPhone
- Todoist iOS app updated with custom icons and Apple Watch complications to show tasks remaining
- Spark for iOS and Mac getting new font style and size options with latest update
- Apple Events app updated for WWDC keynote, Music Memos now supports iPhone X
Tech industry |
- New study ranks top 50 US cities and each state by mobile network speeds
- Bose Noise Cancelling Headphones 700 replacing QC35 in June, pre-orders open
- Mophie launches new powerstation portable batteries with USB-C, fabric design, capacities up to 20,000mAh
- Review: Roborock S5, a robot vacuum cleaner which also mops your hard floors
- Report: US comes in 30th place for average 4G speeds with South Korea, Norway, and Canada leading the world
- Report: DOJ officials want T-Mobile and Sprint to create a new competitor as part of merger
WWDC 2019 |
- Everything to expect at WWDC 2019: iOS 13, macOS 10.15, watchOS 6, new hardware, more
- Neon artwork adorns McEnery Convention Center in San Jose ahead of WWDC
- WWDC 2019 keynote will be livestreamed in select Apple Stores
Top Apple stories, company |
- Huawei CEO rejects Chinese retaliation against Apple; ‘Apple is my teacher’
- ‘I’m a Mac’ star Justin Long says he filmed 300 ads for Apple, but Steve Jobs rejected most of them
- Interview with Apple’s former App Store approval chief offers fascinating insight into the review process
- Apple’s privacy focus includes extreme testing of Secure Enclave chips in secret lab
- Report: Citigroup pulled out of consumer-friendly Apple Card because of profitability doubts
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Back to the Mac 014: MacBook Pro (2019) hands-on – this is what we asked for [Video]
- Hands-on with new 2019 iPhone 11 cases with square camera housing [Video]
- iPod touch (2019) 7th-generation review: a slightly more capable multi-purpose iOS handheld [Video]
Happy Hour Podcast #227 |
This week, Benjamin and Zac break down the latest iOS 13 leaks and rumors, as well as give their last minute takes on what they are most excited to see at WWDC.
Stacktrace Podcast #038 |
WWDC 2019 is just a few days away, which means that it’s poker time! But before getting to the predictions, gambling and the bets, John and Rambo talk about the launch of WWDC by Sundell, Rambo’s latest scoops on iOS 13, and Apple’s surprise-release of a new iPod touch.
Making The Grade |
Making The Grade is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing 100s of Macs and 100s of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Why is there no Time Machine in iCloud?
- Rebuilding Apple School Manager
- Is macOS really less stable than it used to be?
- Apple Mail vs G Suite Webmail
- Piper Computer is a great way to introduce students to Raspberry Pie
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.