In this week’s top stories: Apple officially releases iOS 13 and watchOS 6 to the public, the iPhone 11 and Apple Watch Series 5 launch, and much more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest news. After three months of beta testing, iOS 13 is officially here. The update has been released for iPhone and iPod touch users. It adds features including Dark Mode, a QuickPath keyboard, Apple Arcade, performance improvements, and much more. Read our roundup of the 13 best iOS 13 features here.
Meanwhile, watchOS 6 has also been released to the public, but only for Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 4 users. The update brings new watch faces and built-in apps, such as Voice Memos and Calculator. There are also new Siri features, Activity Trends, and much more.
Apple’s software releases won’t stop after this week, though. iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1 will be released next week on September 24th, while we’re also still waiting on tvOS 13, macOS Catalina, and HomePod updates.
Elsewhere, the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro, as well as the Apple Watch Series 5, have officially arrived. The devices are now available from Apple Stores and other retailers around the world. The first orders started arriving late on Thursday evening and haven’t stopped since.
This week also included review embargoes for the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and Apple Watch Series 5. For the iPhone 11, reviewers praised the device’s value and camera performance, while the iPhone 11 Pro was praised for its triple-lens camera and battery life. The Apple Watch Series 5 always-on display was also praised, as was battery performance.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
iOS | macOS | tvOS |
- These iOS 13 apps work with Dark Mode, Sign in with Apple, Voice Control, and more
- iOS 13 is now available, these are the 13 best features
- Apple releasing fourth iOS 13.1 developer and public betas today
- How to delete apps on iOS 13 for iPhone and iPad
- What to do if you forget your iPhone or iPad passcode
- Should you install iOS 13 today or wait for iOS 13.1?
- iOS 13.1 and iPadOS launching September 24, tvOS 13 at end of month
- iPhone 11 Pro review roundup: massive jump in camera quality, battery life claims deliver
- iPhone 11 review roundup: impressive Night Mode, ultra-wide camera is a useful addition, great price
- iPhone 11 vs iPhone 11 Pro comparison: Which should you buy?
- Wi-Fi 6 officially launches today, ahead of iPhone 11 availability on Friday
- Multiple camera simultaneous recording coming to iPhone XS and iPhone XR, not just iPhone 11
- First iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro orders now shipping prior to Friday
- Kuo: iPhone 11 demand better than expectations, stronger interest for new color options
- iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro have up to 3,969 mAh battery capacity and 4GB of RAM
- iPhone 11 Pro camera and Night mode praised by travel photographer Austin Mann [Gallery]
- The iPhone 11’s U1 chip will do more than locate Apple Tags…
- How to check what LTE bands the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro have
- iPhone 11 Pro Diary: Sample photos in reviews have really whetted my appetite
- iPhone 11 Pro Max teardown shows off larger battery, compact rectangular logic board, more
- Filmmaker puts iPhone 11 Pro to the test with cinematic 4K journey through Tokyo [Video]
- More analysts and retailers report strong iPhone 11 demand, particularly in China
- Amazon selling carrier-locked iPhone 11 models, cellular Apple Watches unaffected
- iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro confirmed to feature LTE modems from Intel
- iPhone 11: Night Mode camera will make us rethink what we can capture with our phones
Mac + iPad |
- Comment: How “desktop-class” is Safari in iPadOS 13?
- 2019 iPad Pro dummy shows same triple-camera module as iPhone 11 Pro
- Brydge unveils MacBook-style keyboard case for Apple’s new 10.2-inch iPad
Top Apple stories, retail |
- New Apple Stores open in Louisville and The Woodlands: green walls, mirrored facade, more
- Apple Watch Series 5 bands featured in stunning, one-of-a-kind displays at Apple Park Visitor Center
- Apple Store reopening roundup: Highland Village, Bridgewater, Mall of America, more
- Everything new in Apple Stores for iPhone 11: Window displays, redesigned Avenues, more
- Reopening photos: Apple Fifth Avenue in people and products
- Apple Watch Studio: Hands-on with the in-store personalization experience
- Inside Apple Fifth Avenue: An all-new space with a familiar face
- Last Apple Store with ‘The Studio’ relocating September 28 in Fukuoka, Japan
Apple Watch |
- watchOS 6 is now available, here are the top 6 new Apple Watch features
- Apple Watch Series 5 uses the same processor as the Series 4
- Apple Watch Series 5 compass will work best with certain bands
- Early hands-on videos unbox Apple Watch Series 5 with always-on display, Compass, and more
- Review: Apple Watch Series 3 is the new $200 Fitbit killer
- Apple Watch Series 5 review roundup: Always-on display worth the upgrade, battery life lives up to claim
- 7 out of 10 Apple Watch customers are first time buyers, not upgraders
- Apple Arcade review roundup: A ‘really fun’ and ‘surprisingly excellent’ experience for $5/month
- Apple Arcade gaming service now available for some ahead of Thursday launch
- Apple Arcade: a brief look at device storage requirements
- Apple Arcade exclusive means not on Android, consoles are fair game
- T-Mobile becomes latest retailer to offer 3% cashback with Apple Card
Tech Industry |
- Philips Hue unveils new HDMI TV box that lets smart lights color match what you watch
- Plex partners with Lionsgate to expand its collection of free streaming movies
- Twitter now supports iOS 13 Dark Mode, here’s how to enable it
- New York Uber drivers are being locked out of app at times of low demand
- Latest Apple TV+ competitor will be Peacock, with 15,000 hours of NBC shows
- Adobe adds Auto Reframe to Premiere Pro for quick vertical video
Top Apple stories, company |
- Bob Iger says Apple and Disney were on a path to merge under Steve Jobs
- Apple’s Irish companies were unimportant, argues Cupertino company’s lawyer
- Report: Apple and suppliers investing $1 billion in India to ramp up manufacturing
- Apple communications VP Steve Dowling departing company next month
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- iOS 13: Hands-on with the top new features and changes for iPhone [Video]
- watchOS 6: Hands-on with the top new features for Apple Watch [Video]
- How to force restart iPhone 11 and 11 Pro, enter recovery mode, DFU, and more
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 9to5Mac Daily: September 20, 2019 – iPhone 11 release, Apple Fifth Avenue
- 9to5Mac Daily: September 19, 2019 – iOS 13 and watchOS 6 now available
- 9to5Mac Daily: September 18, 2019 – Apple Watch Series 5 reviews
- 9to5Mac Daily: September 17, 2019 – iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro reviews
- 9to5Mac Daily: September 16, 2019 – Apple Watch titanium details, more
9to5Mac Watch Time |
9to5Mac Watch Time is a brand new seasonal podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. Over the next three months, we’ll talk to real people about how the Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
Developers Rahul Matta and Will Bishop join Zac to discuss the opportunities made possible through making apps that work with Apple Watch. Rahul makes the excellent running log app Tempo, and Will is behind three watchOS apps including Chirp for Twitter.
9to5Mac Watch Time is now available on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and your favorite podcast player through RSS. Subscribe now to enjoy our teaser trailer and hear new episodes as soon as they drop — starting next week.
Happy Hour Podcast #243 |
The first round of iPhone 11 and Apple Watch Series 5 reviews are out, Apple Watch Series 3 has a new low price, Apple Arcade is officially here, and iOS 13 and other major software updates are arriving this week.
Stacktrace Podcast #54 |
David Barnard, creator of apps like Launch Center Pro, joins John and Rambo for a special indie development edition of the show. The pros and cons of being indie, how and when to outsource tasks to others, and much more.
Apple @ Work |
Apple @ Work is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing 100s of Macs and 100s of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Apple @ Work: What can your IT department look at on your managed Apple devices?
- Apple @ Work: When to deploy macOS Catalina, iOS 13, and iPadOS 13
- Apple @ Work: IoT devices face security problems that must be addressed
- Apple @ Work: Did web apps allow the Mac to flourish in the enterprise?
- Apple @ Work: Why are IT professionals choosing Apple products when they used to ban them?
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.