In this week’s top stories: Benchmarks for the M1 iMac and iPad Pro emerge, rumors about the next-generation MacBook Air, iOS 14.6 beta 3 changes, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top stories and more.
Next-gen MacBook design
A new report from YouTuber Jon Prosser this week shed more light on what to expect from the next-generation MacBook lineup. The report explained that Apple will offer its next-generation MacBook or MacBook Air in seven different colors, similar to the new iMac. The design is also not tapered like the current MacBook Air.
Other rumored design changes include white bezels around the display, as well as a redesigned keyboard that is also white. Again, it’s unclear whether this new design would come to the MacBook Air or perhaps an adjective-less MacBook of some sort. You can check out renders right here.
M1 iPad Pro and iMac benchmarks
- M1 iMac: 1,700
- M1 iPad Pro: 1,700
- M1 iMac: 7,400
- M1 iPad Pro: 7,200
As you can see, the results between the two products are quite similar, which is to be expected given they share the same M1 chip inside. With the first orders arriving to customers on May 21, we expect embargoed press reviews to be published sometime next week.
AirPods 3 and Apple Music HiFi
A sketchy rumor this week suggested that Apple could announce AirPods 3 and Apple Music HiFi in a press release on May 18. This comes after a report earlier this month indicated the announcements were just “weeks” away.
The rumor comes from YouTuber Luke Miani. who says AirPods 3 are already ready to ship and Apple is expected to announce them via a press release on Tuesday. He also suggests that Apple could announce a new Apple Music HiFi plan on the same day.
Whether or not this comes to fruition remains to be seen, but we now have two reports indicating that AirPods 3 and Apple Music HiFi could be announced this month.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Apple releases iOS 14.6 and iPadOS 14.6 beta 3 to developers
- Apple no longer signs iOS 14.5, blocking downgrades from iOS 14.5.1
- Best CarPlay apps to download on iPhone
- iOS 14.6 lets you use an email address to put AirTag and other items into Lost Mode
- iPhone 12 Pro Max ranks fourth place in first-ever DXOMARK battery test
- Half-size Face ID chip part of secret to smaller notch expected in iPhone 13
- Concept imagines a whole new approach to the iPhone notch
Apple Watch |
- watchOS 8: Four short feature requests for future Apple Watch updates
- Apple surveys Apple Watch users on health features, mentions glucose monitoring
Mac and iPad |
- Benchmarks show M1 iPad Pro offers 50% speed boost, outperforms high-end MacBook Pro
- Rumor: Next-gen MacBook Air design to feature flat edges, white bezels, more
- New Kensington StudioDock coming for 2021 12.9-inch iPad Pro
- M1 iMac benchmarks show drastic performance boost over 21.5-inch Intel iMac models
- 2011 MacBook Pro owners in Quebec can now get repair refund after lawsuit
- First M1 iMac pre-orders begin shipping for May 21 delivery
- M1 iPad Pro orders now shipping, for delivery from May 21
- Opinion: The M1 iPad Pro needs iPadOS 15, not macOS
- 12.9-inch M1 iPad Pro arrives earlier than expected for a lucky customer
Top Apple stories, retail |
- First Apple Store in the center of Rome opens soon on Via del Corso
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
- Meet 2FA ‘Authenticator’ app created especially for Apple users
- WhatsApp alternatives for iPhone, iPad, and Mac
- Report: Facebook app downloads drop 30% amid TikTok growth and privacy concerns
- AirTag hacked for the first time by security researcher [Video]
- Comment: AirTag could become an essential retail and business tool if Apple wants it to be one
- The best AirTag keychains, cases, straps, and much more
- Video: User rebuilds AirTag as a thinner card that fits into wallets
- VanMoof S3: An electric bike with Apple’s Find My tech built in
- Security researcher exploits Find My network to send messages over any nearby iPhone’s data connection
- Should you be worried about AirTag hacks? Here’s what you should know
- Video of an AirTag test for a simulated bike theft
AAPL Company |
- Apple hires former Facebook advertising exec to bolster its own ads platform
- Apple’s App Store ad hire comes from Facebook, and that’s the least controversial thing about them
- Apple fires ex-Facebook hire after becoming aware of misogynistic viewpoints from best-selling book
- Apple hired HTC’s ‘Jony Ive’ to oversee Beats hardware design for new products
- Smart home alliance from Apple, Amazon, and Google now called ‘Matter,’ first products coming this year
- Sketchy rumor claims Apple will launch AirPods 3 on May 18
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Apple Card partner Goldman Sachs facing CFPB investigation Apple Studio Display firmware 15.5 drops amid speaker problem complaints Apple’s all-new M2 MacBook Pro back on sale with $200 in savings from $1,099 Apple’s white Magic Keyboard improves your 12.9-inch iPad Pro experience at $299 (Save $50) Best Buy anniversary weekend sale takes $149 off M1 MacBook Air, Galaxy Fold 3 $600 off, more
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Follow Rikka: Twitter: @RikkaAltland Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Don’t miss out on our other daily podcasts:
Quick Charge 9to5Toys Daily
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at email@example.com. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Read More
Apple Studio Display firmware 15.5 drops amid speaker problem complaints Rumored 10th-generation iPad schematics show new rear camera module design, flat edge chassis, no headphone jack? Apple delaying iPadOS 16 release to October; iOS 16 still expected in September Hiring trends indicate Apple plans to significantly expand its ads business AAPL investors need to see inside the company’s “$70 billion black box,” say analysts Apple preps Android switchers for iPhone 14 with new explainer video $50 gift card with Apple TV purchase promotion available again at the US Apple Store, also launches in other countries Apple overhauls iPhone checkout experience with larger images, focus on trade-ins, more Apple expanding App Store ads from search to ‘Today’ tab and more
Listen to more Happy Hour Episodes
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Listen to more 9to5 Podcasts
Apple @ Work Alphabet Scoop Electrek The Buzz Podcast Space Explored Rapid Unscheduled Discussions
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Happy Hour or shop 9to5Mac Merch!
- iPhone 14 always-on details, more App Store ads, iPadOS 16 delayed
- iOS 16 beta 4 changes, more Apple Watch Pro info and AR’s uncertain future
- MacBook Air hands on, Apple TV+ Emmys, Apple Health whitepaper
- iOS 16 public beta is out, macOS Ventura System Settings, Apple Car details
- iCloud Shared Photo Library hands on, iOS 16 beta 3, bigger screen Apple Watch
Stacktrace Podcast |
Sponsored by Kandji: A modern, cloud-based platform for centrally managing and securing your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV devices, saving IT teams countless hours of manual work with features like one-click compliance templates and 150+ pre-built automations, apps, and workflows. Request access.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Tailscale SSH Coding on iPad using VSCode, Caddy, and code-server
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.