In this week’s top stories: Apple unveils new REJI announcements, 2021 MacBook Pro and iMac details emerge, Apple accessory announcements at CES, and much more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple Stories.
2021 Mac rumors
This week brought some of the most specific details yet about what to expect from Apple’s 2021 MacBook Pro refresh. Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo reported that Apple has some major changes in store for the 2021 MacBook Pro, which will be available in 14-inch and 16-inch variations.
The new MacBook Pro is rumored to adopt a flat-edged design similar to the Phone 12 and iPad Pro, add more IO ports on the side, bring back MagSafe charging, and ditch the controversial Touch Bar.
Bloomberg also corroborated many of these changes, and added that MagSafe will allow MacBook Pro machines to charge faster than USB-C. The report also added that a redesigned MacBook Air is in the works at Apple.
Bloomberg also added new details on the redesigned iMac, new Mac Pro information, and said that Apple has a lower-cost external display in the works.
Apple’s Racial Equity and Justice Initiatives
Apple announced this week that it will be investing $100 million in its Racial Equity and Justice Initiative, which it hopes will help tackle systemic racism.
- Apple is working with Southern Company to support the launch of the Propel Center, a first-of-its-kind innovation and learning hub for the HBCU community, with a $25 million investment.
- Second, Apple has chosen downtown Detroit for its first US Developer Academy. The academy is designed to empower young Black entrepreneurs, creators, and coders, helping them cultivate the skills necessary for jobs in the rapidly growing iOS app economy.
- Apple will invest invest $10 million with Harlem Capital — an early-stage venture capital firm based in New York — to support its investments in 1,000 companies with diverse founders over the next 20 years.
- The company will also invest $25 million in Siebert Williams Shank’s Clear Vision Impact Fund, which provides capital to small and medium-size businesses, with an emphasis on minority-owned companies.
Learn more in our full coverage right here.
AirPods Pro 2 and iPhone SE 3
Apple is rumored to have two new products in the works for an announcement as early as April: AirPods Pro 2 and iPhone SE 3.
The AirPods Pro 2 are expected to feature a redesigned charging case, but other details are unclear. Previously, Bloombergreported that the second-gen AirPods Pro would feature a “more compact” design that removes the stem that current sticks out from the bottom of the AirPods Pro.
Rumors have suggested that Apple is working on a larger version of the iPhone SE, likely with a 5.5-inch display and a design similar to the iPhone 8 Plus.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Bloomberg: Apple testing in-screen Touch ID for 2021 iPhone, AirTags coming this year
- Bloomberg: Apple developing foldable iPhone prototypes, launch is still unclear
- Rumor: Apple to release AirPods Pro 2 and third-generation iPhone SE in April
- Rumor: iPhone 13 to be slightly thicker, feature smaller notch and same camera bump
- User successfully runs Ubuntu on a jailbroken iPhone 7
- Johns Hopkins security researchers ‘shocked’ at Android and iOS vulnerabilities
- Medical study suggests iPhone 12 with MagSafe can deactivate pacemakers
- iPhone 12 Pro prototype shows early ‘Pacific Blue’ variant and nonUI version of iOS 14
- Apple releases iOS 14.4 beta 2 and more for developers
Apple Watch |
Mac and iPad |
- Kuo details 2021 MacBook Pro: new design with squared-off sides, MagSafe connector and IO return, Touch Bar removed
- Rumor: New iPad mini to feature 8.4-inch display with smaller bezels, release in March
- M1 Mac Bluetooth problems finally set to be resolved, says Apple
- Bloomberg: 2021 MacBook Pro to charge faster via MagSafe, ‘redesigned MacBook Air’ also planned
- Bloomberg: New iMac with Pro Display XDR design coming this year, cheaper external display also planned
Top Apple stories, retail |
- Washington, D.C. Apple Stores close ahead of Inauguration Day
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
- Parler app and website go offline; CEO blames Apple and Google for destroying the company
- WhatsApp clarifies privacy changes and Facebook data sharing as Signal and Telegram soar
- AT&T TV Now shutting down to new subscribers: Here’s what you need to know
- With support officially ended, Adobe ‘strongly recommends’ removing Flash now, here’s how
- Netflix reportedly testing spatial audio support for AirPods Pro and AirPods Max
- Apple working to release Music and Podcasts apps on Microsoft Store
Apple Car |
- Report: Apple and Hyundai hope to reach deal for Apple Car by March, begin US production in 2024
- Apple’s strict approach to secrecy in the spotlight after Hyundai walks back Apple Car statement
CES 2021 |
- Pioneer announces modular receiver to bring wireless CarPlay to more vehicles
- Scosche launches three iPhone 12 MagSafe mounts for car and home
- Kensington unveils StudioDock productivity hub meets stand for iPad Air/Pro with tons of I/O, more
- Intel unveils new 12th-generation Alder Lake chips as it plays catch up to Apple’s M1
- Satechi launches low-price MagSafe compatible 2-in-1 charger, but there are caveats
- Qualcomm unveils larger and faster in-screen fingerprint reader, coming to smartphones this year
- PopSockets reveals new MagSafe-compatible PopGrips for iPhone 12, more
- Belkin’s new ‘SoundForm Freedom’ AirPods competitors can integrate with Apple’s Find My app
- Belkin launches more affordable 2-in-1 MagSafe charger, coming in March/April
- Pioneer announces modular receiver to bring wireless CarPlay to more vehicles
- LG unveils 4K UltraFine OLED Pro display, Dell reveals 40-inch 5K2K ultrawide with Thunderbolt 3
- Lutron unveils durable Caseta Outdoor Smart Plug with HomeKit, adds new features to Smart Motion Sensors
- Philips Hue wall switch module finally solves problem; new outdoor lights too
Top Apple stories, company |
- Apple CEO Tim Cook joins ‘CBS This Morning’ ahead of ‘big announcement’ coming Wednesday
- Apple announces major new REJI projects to tackle systemic racism
- CBS interview: Tim Cook talks REJI projects, Parler possibly returning to the App Store, goals for 2021
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Leaker claims M1X MacBook Pro and Mac mini coming in Q4 Apple's space gray iMac accessories officially discontinued, but alternatives exist iPadOS 15 brings the App Library to dock, but here's how to disable it
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at email@example.com. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
Sponsored by HabitMinder: Change your habits, change your life. HabitMinder helps you form healthy habits and stay accountable. Get started for free on iOS, Mac, and Apple Watch.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Rahul Matta Twitter @rmatta Twitter @TempoLog Blog indie.sh Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Toning down the Apple Watch: Tips and feature requests to avoid being overwhelmed Apple releases watchOS 7.4.1 with security improvements Apple Watch blood sugar and blood pressure measurement could be a step closer watchOS 7.4 brings iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @ apollozac.com Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
iPadOS 15 brings the App Library to dock, but here’s how to disable it Hands-on: Here’s how Apple Podcasts Subscriptions and channels work on iPhone Apple’s newest Safari Technology Preview brings macOS Monterey features to Big Sur Opinion: Focus is the most important feature in iOS 15; here’s how I’m using it iPadOS 15: Hands-on with Apple’s Weather app for iPad Comment: tvOS 15 is a small update, but it brings two important new features to Apple TV Hands-on: Here’s what’s new and different with the redesigned Safari in macOS Monterey Images show unreleased Apple Watch Series 5 Edition in a black ceramic finish
Listen to more 9to5 Podcasts
Stacktrace Alphabet Scoop Electrek The Buzz Podcast Space Explored
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Happy Hour!
Stacktrace Podcast |
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
WWDC by Sundell & Friends Swift by Sundell episode with Doug Gregor from Apple Git’s bisect command AirBuddy ShazamKit SharePlay Beta of the unofficial WWDC app with SharePlay support SwiftUI’s new Table view for macOS Swift’s new AttributedString type John Gruber’s original Markdown spec The MainActor attribute Converting completion handler-based APIs to async/await What’s new in Xcode 13 John’s package collection on the Swift Package Index Xcode Cloud Buddybuild Bitrise Stanford University’s iOS development course 100 days of Swift Swift Playgrounds Sean Allen’s YouTube channel
Subscribe 🟣 Apple Podcasts🟠 Overcast🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Apple @ Work Podcast: VMware Workspace ONE streamlines macOS management in multi-platform organizations
VMware Workspace ONE
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
- Apple @ Work Podcast: VMware Workspace ONE streamlines macOS management in multi-platform organizations
- Apple @ Work Podcast: High-performance remote access with Teradici
- Mosyle launches free edition and Mosyle Fuse to take MDM to the next level
- Claris CEO Brad Freitag discusses why Claris Connect is uniquely positioned to solve integrations with SIS Vendors
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Secure K-12 iPads with Spin Safe Browser
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.