Fitbit is rolling out the ability for some of its smartwatches and fitness trackers to track blood oxygen levels (Sp02) with a software update. While Fitbit has been struggling for some time and was recently purchased by Google, this is a notable upgrade for existing customers and comes ahead of Apple Watch gaining the feature.
Fitbit Stories January 15, 2020
Fitbit Stories August 28, 2019
Fitbit has made its upcoming Versa 2 smartwatch available for pre-order and detailed its latest plan to offer a more impactful experience and compete with Apple Watch with its Fitbit Premium subscription plan. The Versa 2 includes built-in Alexa support, 5-day battery life, a new processor, and more. Meanwhile, Fitbit Premium is set to offer personalized health recommendations for diet, exercise, and sleep.
Fitbit Stories July 31, 2019
Fitbit Stories July 2, 2019
PSA: Fitbit iOS app crashing almost immediately after opening for some users [fixed]
Update: Fitbit rolled out a fix for the iOS app a few hours after users started seeing the issue.
Fitbit users have taken to social media today to share about a problem with the iOS app. After trying to open it on iPhone, some users are seeing the app crash in a matter of seconds.
Fitbit Stories March 6, 2019
Apple doesn’t share data about how many watches it sells, but the industry consensus is that the Apple Watch is the clear market leader with half the smart watch market in 2018. Fitbit’s latest smart watch entry may give the Apple Watch a run for its money, however, with a mix of colors that pop and a more affordable price.
Fitbit Stories September 13, 2018
Fitbit Stories July 20, 2018
The original Apple Watch is currently set to face an import tariff of 10% under the latest edition of tariff proposals seen.
While iPhones, iPads and Macs should be exempt, the smartwatch is one of a number of devices currently slated to fall foul of the Trump administration’s trade war with China …
Fitbit Stories March 13, 2018
Fitbit Stories January 24, 2018
Fitbit Stories September 25, 2017
Last month Fitbit unveiled its $300 Ionic smart watch based on its acquisition of Pebble, and today the company has announced the ship date for its Apple Watch competitor. Fitbit Ionic will hit stores on October 1 in plenty of time for the holidays (and just a few days before Apple Watch Nike+ Series 3). Fitbit has already been taking pre-orders for its new smart watch on its website and promises orders will ship within one week.
Fitbit Stories August 28, 2017
Fitbit Stories August 10, 2017
Following its acquisition of Pebble last December, Fitbit has been rumored to be working on its own smartwatch for a release at some point this year. We saw a couple renders of Fitbit’s latest wearable back in May, but a new batch of images from Wareable shines new light on what to expect from the upcoming Apple Watch competitor.
Fitbit Stories August 2, 2017
While several wearable companies have exited the market recently, Fitbit is still working on its new smartwatch. According to CEO James Park, the company hopes to release the accessory “ahead of the holiday season.” Park made the announcement in Fitbit’s Q2 2017 earnings release.
Fitbit Stories December 7, 2016
Fitbit Stories November 30, 2016
Fitbit Stories November 8, 2016
As regular readers will know, I’ve become a complete convert to the Apple Watch. But the Watch isn’t for everyone: it’s relatively expensive, fairly chunky and for most users has one-day battery-life.
I’ve been trying the Fitbit Alta for the past week, and while I’ll personally be sticking to my Apple Watch, I do think it could be a decent option for those with more limited needs and/or budgets …
Fitbit Stories August 29, 2016
The Apple Watch 2 could be announced as soon as next week at Apple’s expected iPhone 7 event, and today Fitbit is getting a head start by unpacking its latest updates to its fitness tracking lineup. The popular Flex 2 is being updated with swim-proof capabilities while the Charge 2 is getting cardio-focused enhancements. Fitbit also seems to be trying to match Apple Watch almost feature-for-feature with its new lineup…
Fitbit Stories May 19, 2016
Fitbit Stories May 3, 2016
A Business Insider report on the smartwatch market is forecasting that the Apple Watch will by 2020 account for around 40% of sales in the luxury watch market, which it defines as watches costing at least $350.
As evidence for this, it cites a consumer survey showing growing interest in the Apple Watch among owners of traditional watches, 27% of those who already wear a watch saying that the added functionality of Apple’s wearable appeals to them. The report also notes a trend away from simpler fitness bands toward full smartwatches …
Fitbit Stories February 23, 2016
Fitbit Stories February 3, 2016
Fitbit announces fashion-oriented leather/metal fitness band, Alta
Fitbit didn’t exactly impress the market when it tried to launch a full-blown smartwatch last month, its stock price falling 11% in response to the idea of the company seemingly attempting to compete with the Apple Watch. It may have better luck with its latest offering, a fashion-oriented fitness band called Alta offering five days of battery-life. The emphasis here is on style, the $130 unit available with both leather bands ($60) and stainless steel bracelet ($100).
The Fitbit Alta will be available for pre-order from tomorrow at Amazon, Best Buy, Target, Walmart and other retail sites, with shipping in March or April, depending on configuration.
Fitbit Stories January 5, 2016
Biometric specialist Valencell – whose technology is licensed by iRiver, LG, Sony and others – has filed a lawsuit accusing Apple of using underhand tactics to gain access to its patented technology for use in the Apple Watch.
The company claims that Apple violated three of its patents for improving the accuracy and reliability of heart-rate data when using the photoplethysmography (PPG) approach used in the Apple Watch. But the lawsuit alleges more than just patent infringement, reports AI: it also claims that Apple used deceptive techniques to get access to the technology …
Fitbit Stories December 21, 2015
9to5Toys Last Call: 13″ MacBook Air from $750, SanDisk Wi-Fi 32GB Flash Drive $25, iOS/Mac app deals
TODAY’S CAN’T MISS DEALS:
Last Call Updates:
Here’s how you can snag a free download of Pixelmator for Mac ($30 value)
- 1Password for Mac drops to $32 for the holiday season (Reg. $50)
- The new iOS-connected Hamwells e-Shower recycles your water with eyes on saving energy
- Grab the Hitman GO & Hitman Sniper iOS bundle for just $1 ($8 value)
- VIZIO 5.1-Channel Bluetooth Soundbar system w/ wireless subwoofer: $300 (Reg. $500)
- Easily cut the cord with these HDTV antenna deals: 50-mile Amplified $20, more
- Stuff your stockings w/ these Gold Box Bluetooth speaker deals: AmazonBasics $35, more
- Netflix Preview for 2016: Chelsea Does, Fuller House, Marvel’s Luke Cage, more
- Amazon Gold Box – Up to 69% off Top-Selling Tools: MagLite LED Flashlight $20, more
- Sports/Fitness: Bluetooth Wireless Sport Headphones $13 (Reg. $26), more
- Home: Hamilton Beach Hand Mixer $19 (Orig. $30), more
Apple 13-inch MacBook Air 1.6GHz/4GB/128GB (newest version): $800 or $750 w/ .edu (Reg. $999), more
SanDisk Connect Wi-Fi iOS/Android Flash Drive: 32GB $25 (Reg. $40), 64GB $40 (Reg. $60)
Hundreds of iOS/Mac games & apps are on sale for the holidays, these are the best ones you can’t afford to miss
DuckTales: Remastered for iOS goes on sale for the very first time: $1 (Reg. $10)
Grab the entire Infinity Blade Trilogy on iOS for just $1 each ($20 value)
App Store Free App of the Week: Attack the Light RPG goes free ($3 value)
Frogmind drops the new BADLAND 2 for iOS, original down to $3 (Reg. $5)
Hitman Sniper for iOS drops to its lowest price yet: $1 (Reg. up to $5)
Apple Beats Pill+ Bluetooth Speaker with Lightning (Black or White): $138 shipped (40% off)
Shop Apple’s holiday gift guide, save up to $350: great 9to5 deals on every device + accessory
Best Buy offering iPhone 6s for $1 on contract w/ Sprint & Verizon
Apple Watch Sport $100 off at B&H Photo, prices start at $249 with tax only in NY
Best Buy Apple sale: iPad Air 2 $125 off, iPad Air $100 off, iPad mini 4 $100 off, much more!
Headphones: Philips Over-Ears w/ Lightning Connector $199 (Reg. $240+), SoundPEATS Bluetooth Earbuds $9, more
- iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi: 16GB $250 (Orig. $399), 128GB $425 (Orig. $599)
- 4K UHDTVs: VIZIO 58-inch $719 (Reg. $900), LG 55-inch $698 (Reg. $900)
- Merrell Winter Boots 45% off: Moab Polar Waterproof $61 (Reg. $110), more
- Games/Apps: Rare Replay $20, Mortal Kombat X & Mad Max $30 ea, more
- Media: 4-pack Blu-ray movies for $13, Warner Bros. 50 Film Collection $90
- Gift Cards up to 20% off w/ email delivery: Domino’s, Fandango, Petco
- Canon All-in-One Printer $25, DJI Phantom 2 Quadcopter v2.0 with Kit $489
- TP-LINK Wi-Fi Network Cloud Camera: $20 Prime shipped (Reg. $30)
- Chromecast users can grab a two month free trial of Sling’s Best of Live TV package
MORE DEALS STILL ALIVE:
OtterBox Defender Series iPhone 6 Case for $20 Prime shipped (Orig. $50)
- Logitech Harmony Smart Control Universal Remote w/ Hub: $70 shipped (Reg. $110+)
- Fitbit Charge HR $110 (Reg. $130+), The Microsoft Band 2 $200 (Reg. $250)
- Seagate Backup Plus USB 3.0 5TB Desktop External Hard Drive $115 (Orig. $180)
- Linksys USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter: $14 Prime shipped (Orig. $30)
- Gift Cards w/ Email Delivery: JCPenney $60 for $50, Toys R Us $100 for $90, more
- RAVPower 5-in-1 SD Card Reader, Battery Pack, Wireless Bridge $30 (Reg. $40)
- Aukey Bluetooth Audio: Sport Earbuds from $14 (Reg. $25), more
- LifeProof Nüüd iPad Air Waterproof Case in white $20 shipped (Reg. $48), more
- Bluetooth Speakers: Inateck MercuryBox Aluminum $30, Aukey Rugged $15
- MacPhun Photo Editing apps for Mac 40% off: Intensify & Tonality $10 ea, more
- Google is offering a free $20 Best Buy Gift Card when you use Android Pay
NEW PRODUCTS & MORE:
Hult blends copper and concrete in a stunning modern take on the Bluetooth speaker
Get Canary’s all-in-one home security system + air quality sensor for $179 (Reg. $200)
- Tiny Arcade puts those 80’s gaming cabinets in the palm of your hand
- The FLUXO Smart Lamp lets iOS and Android users paint their walls with light
- YoCam tops GoPro’s tiny action camera in features, but does it matter?
- This limited edition Rolls Royce cocktail kit is a must see for car and James Bond fans alike
- Justin’s Holiday Gift Guide: speakers, Lightning mics, pocket synths & more
- Trevor’s Holiday Gift Guide: The perfect accessories for travel
- Dan’s Holiday Gift Guide: rare Apple collectibles & swag
- Skip the holiday blues with these practical stocking stuffers
- Top 10 holiday movies you can stream right now on Netflix
Fitbit Stories November 3, 2015
Fitbit says sales unaffected by Apple Watch as revenues rise 168% year-on-year
On a conference call with investors, Park said that the rollout of other smart watches, which often come with a step-tracker similar to Fitbit’s main function, did not have impact on the company’s growth. When asked about Apple’s new watch specifically, he said it had “no material impact”. He added that Apple and Fitbit cater to “two very different segments in the market” in terms of price point and use and that “there’s room for more than one dominant player.”
While there is no current overlap in pricing – Fitbit devices start from just $60 and top out at $250 – the statement may look a little optimistic in years to come. Apple is likely to add functionality to future Watches while maintaining its premium pricing, but it’s not impossible it could follow its iPhone strategy of keeping previous-generation devices on sale at a reduced price when new ones launch.
That could see the two companies competing at least at the $250 level – and in the meantime, there are already discounted Apple Watches out there, from Apple and others.
Via The Verge