In this week’s top stories: iPhone 11 rumors start to trickle in, CES 2018 brings HomeKit and AirPlay 2 accessories, IKEA plans new smart blinds, and more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest stories.
Sylvania HomeKit Light Strip
AirPlay 2 was also a focus this year, with Vizio, Samsung, Sony, and LG all announcing that they would be adding AirPlay 2 support to their TVs. Samsung also added a dedicated app for accessing iTunes TV shows and Movies.
Read all of our CES 2019 coverage in our full guide right here.
In addition to CES 2019, this week also saw an influx of iPhone 11 rumors. The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that Apple is plotting three new iPhones for 2019. The new models include one with a triple-lens camera setup, as well as an iPhone XR followup with a dual-lens camera.
Tim Cook sat down with CNBC’s Jim Cramer on Tuesday to talk about Apple’s plans for 2019. The Apple CEO called reports that the iPhone XR is failing “bologna.” He also teased that Apple has new services coming in 2019 and said that Apple’s “greatest contribution to mankind” will be in the health sector.
Lastly, Brydge this week made its MacBook-stye iPad Pro keyboards available for pre-order. These keyboards offer an aluminum finish and are versatile for typing, content consumption, and more.
These and the rest of this week’s top Apple stories below…
CES 2019 |
- Gallery: Hands-on with the Philips Hue Outdoor sensor and new exterior lighting
- 9to5Mac Best of CES 2019 Awards
- Hands-on with U by Moen Smart Shower’s HomeKit integration
- Hands-on with Netatmo’s HomeKit Smart Video Doorbell
- Apple says ‘leading TV manufacturers’ will integrate AirPlay 2, send video to TV with Siri voice commands
- CES 2019: Wired and wireless aftermarket CarPlay head units coming this year
- Samsung Smart TVs will soon add AirPlay 2, iTunes Movies and TV Shows app
- Nanoleaf adds hexagonal light panels and Canvas Mounting Grid to HomeKit lighting lineup
- Apple promotes HomeKit at CES with press event to highlight new smart home accessories coming in 2019
- Netatmo’s upcoming HomeKit video doorbell features microSD card slot for no-cost recording, more
- Zagg launches new iPad and iPad Pro keyboard case lineup with backlit keys, Apple Pencil storage, more
- Otterbox unveils new ‘Otter + Pop’ case for iPhone w/ built-in customizable PopSocket
- TiVo to launch Apple TV app later this year with live TV support and DVR access
- More in our full guide
iOS | macOS | tvOS | watchOS |
- Apple reportedly ‘in discussions’ to support RCS, the iMessage-like successor to SMS
- Apple releasing iOS 12.1.3 and watchOS 5.1.3 developer beta 3 later today [U: Now available]
- Opinion: iOS 13 is the right time for a modern take on skeuomorphism
- Apple releasing iOS 12.1.3 developer beta 4 later today [U: Now available]
- WSJ report explores how the iPhone XR is the ‘phone that’s failing Apple’
- Comment: The hole punch on the Galaxy S10 proves the iPhone’s notch is the better design [Poll]
- Renders purport to depict ‘iPhone 11’ prototypes, features three rear cameras and square camera bump
- Report: Apple cuts iPhone 8, XR, XS, XS Max prices for Chinese vendors
- Apple Face ID supplier reveals new ‘behind OLED’ sensor that could ‘eliminate the bezel entirely’
- iPhone XR usage overtakes iPhone XS, Max still leads
- WSJ: High-end ‘iPhone 11’ will feature triple rear camera, XR successor gets dual lenses
- iPhone 11 could include Wi-Fi 6 in addition to triple-camera, improved Face ID, more
Mac + iPad |
Apple Watch |
- USGA investigating amateur golfer Lucy Li’s role in Apple Watch ‘Close Your Rings’ campaign
- Apple Watch customer identifies A-fib heart condition after dismissing symptoms as ‘holiday anxiety’
Top Apple stories, retail |
- Passeig de Gràcia Apple Store temporarily closing February 10th, Video Wall and Forum likely on the way
- Apple may be planning to relocate its first retail store at Tysons Corner
- [Update: US launch date] Ikea’s smart blinds system launching next month with HomeKit, prices start at ~$110
- Xiaomi launches even more blatant AirPods clone – with matte black variant
- Brydge’s new MacBook-style iPad Pro keyboards now available for pre-order
- Sonos now selling Play:1 and One stands and shelves, new cables in 3 lengths
- Sonos seemingly considers Dolby Atmos, more affordable ‘Sub Core’ subwoofer
Top Apple stories, company |
- Tim Cook teases ‘new services’ coming in 2019, says Apple’s ‘greatest contribution to mankind’ will be health-related
- Apple to hold annual shareholders meeting on March 1st at Steve Jobs Theater
- AAPL proxy statement tidbits: How much each executive earned in 2018, the costs of flying private, more
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Video: Hands-on with Shure’s MV88+ iPhone Video Kit
- Video: Hands-on with Nanoleaf’s Canvas Light Hexagons
- Video: First look at Starkey’s Livio AI iPhone-connected hearing aid, now with fall detection and heart rate measurement
- Video: Hands-on with Sphero’s Specdrums, a colorful way to make music
- Video: First look at Lume Cube AIR VC, a video lighting solution for FaceTime
- How to: MacBook Air Windows 10 RTX 2080 eGPU gaming setup [Video]
Happy Hour Podcast #207 |
This week Benjamin and Zac discuss Apple TV and the new zero sign-on feature in tvOS 12, iCloud Photos and managing limited storage, a possible preview at how the iPhone 11 camera system will appear, CES 2019 and the wave of new AirPlay 2 and HomeKit TVs, the changing proposition of the Apple TV, and much more CES 2019 news.
Making The Grade |
Making The Grade is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing 100s of Macs and 100s of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- The AirPlay 2 news from CES has changed my classroom AV plans
- Teaching Swift Playgrounds: What I’ve learned and what Apple could do to improve it
- The case for dual iCloud accounts on iOS
- Thoughts on Chromebook, iPad, and user focused IT departments
- Three ways Apple could improve macOS and iOS deployments in 2019
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
Featured in top image: Dell 38-inch UltraSharp Curved Monitors, Grovemade’s Desk Shelf System, Nixie Tube Clock, Apogee Quartet, KRK VXT6 Studio Monitor speakers, Classicbot Classic Vintage Mac Toy. Read about the setup over on 9to5Toys as part of the ‘Behind the Screens’ series.