In this week’s top stories: Apple sets its September event, the first beta of iOS 13.1, Mario Kart Tour is coming to iPhone and iPad, and more. Read on for all of this week’s biggest news.
Ecobee HomeKit Thermostat
Apple this week officilaly set its iPhone 11 event for September 10th at 10AM PT, 1PM ET. The event will take place at Steve Jobs Theater at Apple Park. The invite for the event features the tagline “By innovation only” alongside a colorful multi-layer Apple logo. The invite itself already has people guessing as to what it means – and you can read more on that here.
In other news, Apple surprisingly released the first developer beta of iOS 13.1 this week, despite the fact that iOS 13 is not yet publicly available. The update restores many of the features that were intially available in iOS 13 but removed later in the beta testing process. Read our full roundup to learn about everything new in iOS 13.1
Apple announced on Thursday that it will now allow independent repair shops to officially service out-of-warranty iPhones. Apple has introduced a new Independent Repair Provider Program, which repair repair businesses access to the same Apple-genuine parts, training, and resources as Apple authorized service providers.
In Apple Watch news, Apple has introduced a new replacement program that means you could potentially get your Apple Watch Series 2 or Apple Watch Series 3 replaced under warranty if your display cracked in a specific way. The program covers a specific type of screen cracking that may affect models sold between September 2016 and September 2019.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
iOS | macOS | tvOS |
- Apple releases first developer beta of iOS 13.1 before iOS 13 actually leaves beta
- What’s new in iOS 13.1 beta 1?
- Apple releases first public beta of iOS 13.1, macOS Catalina developer beta 7
- How to downgrade from the iOS 13.1 beta
- Apple releases iOS 12.4.1 with jailbreak vulnerability fix
- Google researchers detail malicious website exploits that targeted iPhone users for years
- Apple announces expected iPhone 11 event for September 10: ‘By innovation only’
- Apple’s colorful September event invite already has people guessing what it means
- Are the iPhone XS and iPhone XR worth buying right now?
- Comment: Apple probably now has a new approach to the iPhone lineup
- Poll: What rumored iPhone 11 feature are you most excited about?
- Photos: Cases show iPhone 11 design, including new position of Apple logo on iPhone 11 back
- Samsung’s Note 10+ smashes top iPhone in drop test, iPhone 11 may be stronger
Mac + iPad |
- Everything we know about Apple’s 16-inch MacBook Pro
- Three more airlines announce partial bans on MacBook Pro models [U]
- Comment: MacBook Pro airline bans getting out of hand, but Apple can solve it
Top Apple stories, retail |
- Photos: New Apple Waterside Shops brings latest design to Southwest Florida
- Today at Apple Remix series continues with new Music Lab featuring Taylor Swift
- Rebuilt Altamonte Springs Apple Store opens August 31
- Chicago Music Industry Summit returns to Apple Michigan Avenue to highlight local leaders
- Apple’s next store in Japan is coming soon to Tokyo’s Marunouchi district
Apple Watch |
- Huami puts Apple Watch Series 4 through the photocopier in China
- When will Apple announce and release Apple Watch Series 5?
- Apple Watch screen cracking? That may be covered for free
- Apple Watch, AirPods, and more will officially be hit with 15% tariffs starting Sunday
- Alabama woman says ‘no doubt’ Apple Watch atrial fibrillation detection saved her life
Apple Card |
- Apple Card now available to all iPhone users in the United States, 3% cashback for Uber and Uber Eats
- On Apple Card launch day, Mastercard touts security, Goldman says it’s only the beginning
- Apple Card: How to opt out of the arbitration agreement
- Here’s how Apple is promoting its new credit card to iPhone customers
- Mario Kart Tour launching on iPhone and Android next month, Nintendo announces
- Disney Plus discount offer crashes website, adds to Apple TV+ pressure
- Plex partners with movie studio to offer ‘package’ of free streaming films
- NeuralCam is a new app for taking iPhone photos in the dark
- Comparative review: Which is the best iPhone camera app for night shots?
Tech Industry |
- T-Mobile offers non-customers a free mobile hotspot, with 30 days/30GB data
- US carriers offering unlimited data and more to users in the path of Hurricane Dorian
- Philips Hue ‘Fugato’ and ‘Centura’ smart lights leak again in new imagery
- AirPods fail to earn Consumer Reports approval, lose to Samsung Galaxy Buds in sound quality test
- Colorful AirPods ad from Apple proves customers like colors that aren’t just white
- Apple’s Tile-like tracking device likely to have removable battery, AR features, work with ‘Items’ tab in Find My app
- Nike’s futuristic FitAdapt lacing ‘Adapt Huarache’ shoes are controllable with Siri and Apple Watch
Top Apple stories, company |
- Apple is allowing independent repair shops to officially service iPhones
- Tim Cook receives $115M stock award as AAPL meets performance expectations
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Hands-on with iOS 13.1 beta 1 changes and features [Video]
- Final Cut Friday: How to use keywords to easily locate clips cut from the project timeline [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
- 9to5Mac Daily: August 30, 2019 – iPhone 11 design tweaks, more
- 9to5Mac Daily: August 29, 2019 – Apple confirms ‘By innovation only’ iPhone 11 event
- 9to5Mac Daily: August 28, 2019 – Siri privacy changes, iOS 13.1 beta
- 9to5Mac Daily: August 27, 2019 – iPhone walkie-talkie feature, Mario Kart for iOS
- 9to5Mac Daily: August 26, 2019 – Apple Watch AFib detection saves another life
9to5Mac Watch Time |
9to5Mac Watch Time is a brand new seasonal podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. Over the next three months, we’ll talk to real people about how the Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
In the fifth episode of our new Watch Time podcast, Zac is joined by Ian Blackburn to talk about diving into fitness later in life with the Apple Watch, Ian’s experience with completing IronMan triathlons using Apple Watch, gear to make Apple Watch even smart for cyclists, and much more.
9to5Mac Watch Time is now available on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and your favorite podcast player through RSS. Subscribe now to enjoy our teaser trailer and hear new episodes as soon as they drop — starting next week.
Happy Hour Podcast #240 |
This week, Benjamin and Zac talk about positive things coming to HomeKit this year, opportunities for advancements in HomeKit going forward, Zac’s review-in-progress of the Peloton bike and treadmill system with Apple Watch, a cool kid’s stationary bike with an Apple TV game, creative uses for the Voice Memos app on watchOS 6, the search for the perfect MacBook Pro and iPad Pro charger, Apple’s planned and cancelled iPhone “Walkie-Talkie” project, Siri improving at providing simple answers, Apple’s formal response to privacy issues with Siri grading, the surprise release of iOS 13.1, and much more.
Stacktrace Podcast #51 |
Stacktrace turns into the Accidental Web and Hardware Podcast, as John and Rambo go on a deep dive into search algorithms, server-less cloud functions, Raspberry Pi and Arduino hardware hacking. Also, what’s up with the iOS 13.1 beta being released before 13.0 is out?
Apple @ Work |
Apple @ Work is a weekly series from Bradley Chambers covering Apple in education. Bradley has been managing Apple devices in an education environment since 2009. Through his experience deploying and managing 100s of Macs and 100s of iPads, Bradley will highlight ways in which Apple’s products work at scale, stories from the trenches of IT management, and ways Apple could improve its products for students.
- Introducing Apple @ Work, a new 9to5Mac series covering Apple in the enterprise
- Apple @ Work: Top 3 mistakes Apple IT managers make [Video Webinar]
- Apple @ Work: When to deploy macOS Catalina, iOS 13, and iPadOS 13
- Apple @ Work: IoT devices face security problems that must be addressed
- Apple @ Work: Did web apps allow the Mac to flourish in the enterprise?