In this week’s top stories: Intel launches a new marketing campaign against Apple Silicon, iOS 14.5 beta 4 released, AirPods 3 and iPad Pro rumors, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple stories.
Apple vs Intel
Intel this week continued its desperate campaign against Apple Silicon. The company launched a new series of videos and a comparison website promoting the “benefits” of Intel over M1 Macs.
For the new video advertisements, Intel recruited Justin Long, who previously starred in Apple’s iconic “I’m a Mac” advertisements from 2006 to 2009.
Intel mocks Apple over things like the M1 MacBook Pro’s Touch Bar, lack of touchscreen, supporting only one external monitor at a time, lack of choice, flexibility, and more.
iOS 14.5 beta 4
On Monday, Apple released iOS 14.5 beta 4 to developers and public beta users. This latest beta did not bring many user-facing changes, but 9to5Mac did find some evidence of future changes. This includes new software update features, a potential new Apple retail experience, and updates coming to Apple Music.
While AirPods 3 were initially expected to launch sometime this month, a pair of reports this month indicated that AirPods 3 are not coming until sometime this fall.
Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has reported that AirPods 3 will not enter mass production until sometime in the third quarter, signaling a launch in time for the holiday shopping season. This was also corroborated by a separate leaker as well.
Finally, a new report from Bloomberg on Wednesday stated that Apple is planning an update for the iPad Pro that could come as soon as April. The report stated that the new iPad Pro will adopt Thunderbolt connectivity for the first time, opening the door to additional accessory options for iPad users.
Check out our full coverage of the Bloomberg report right here.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Apple releases iOS 14.5 beta 4 to developers and public beta users
- DuckDuckGo uses App Store privacy labels to call out Google for ‘spying’ on users
- Opinion: Apple Music needs these features and fixes to catch up to Spotify
- Apple allows Russia to pre-install apps on iPhones as part of device setup
- iOS security fixes could soon be delivered separately from other updates, beta code suggests
- Round-up: Transform your iOS Home Screen with these icon packs inspired by the 1984 Macintosh
- Apple promotes iPhone 12 durability in new ad [Video]
- Brazil’s consumer protection regulator fines Apple $2M for not including charger in iPhone 12 box
- Opensignal report claims iPhone 12 is slower than almost every Android phone in 5G/4G speed tests
- Will the iPhone 13 feature under-display Touch ID? Here’s what we know so far
- New images show prototype iPhone X in unreleased jet black finish
- Report suggests iPhone 12 aluminum edges could suffer from discoloration defect
Apple Watch |
- watchOS 7.4 beta 4 with iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch now available
- AirPods and Apple Watch continue to dominate wearables market, new IDC data shows
Mac and iPad |
- Everything we know about Apple’s rumored 2021 iPad Pro update
- ‘I’m a Mac’ star Justin Long pivots to Intel in new ads mocking M1 Macs
- Kuo: OLED iPad Air and Mini-LED MacBook Air coming next year
- Open-source team details the complexities in bringing Linux to Apple’s M1 Macs
- Intel claims M1 Macs ‘just don’t stack up’ against PCs on new comparison website
- Unreleased ARM iMac surfaces in Xcode crash log as launch of redesigned model nears
- Bloomberg: New iPad Pro with Thunderbolt connectivity coming ‘as early as April’
- Apple discontinues 512GB and 1TB SSD options for 21.5-inch iMac as refresh looms
Top Apple stories, retail |
- All 270 US Apple Stores are open for the first time since March 2020
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
AirPods and HomePod |
- Apple discontinues original HomePod
- Comment: Farewell HomePod, Apple’s most misunderstood product
- Comment: The state of Apple TV and end of HomePod warrants a Home strategy roundtable
- Apple promotes AirPods Pro in new ‘Jump’ ad ahead of rumored AirPods 3
- Poll: Do you think Apple will release a replacement for the discontinued HomePod?
- Concept: How Apple could combine the best of HomePod, Apple TV, and iPad to create the perfect smart display
- Apple AirPods 3 not launching until Q3, says Ming-Chi Kuo
- Leaker indicates AirPods 3 not launching in March, AirPods 2 to continue being sold
- Here are 5 smart speaker alternatives to fill the void left by Apple’s HomePod
- Apple turns AirPods Pro ‘Jump’ campaign into viral trend with new TikTok challenge
Apple Car |
- Apple Car could see three times farther at night by using infrared headlights
- Apple may use Foxconn or Magna as contract manufacturing partner for Apple Car
- Florida teenager to spend three years in prison after hacking Apple’s Twitter
- Hands-on: Sofa is a beautiful iOS app to neatly organize all the media you want to check out
- iPhone app privacy analysis shows which apps collect the most personal data
- ‘Vinyls’ is a minimalist new app for Apple Music subscribers
AR/VR Headset |
- Kuo: 2022 Apple headset will track eye movement, blinking, and possibly authenticate users with iris recognition
AAPL Company |
- Apple brand loyalty hits all-time high as Samsung loyalty dives
- Tim Cook talks personal routine, Apple’s return to in-person work, and more
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Leaker suggests colorful Apple Silicon iMac could be unveiled at Apple event on Tuesday Select 21.5-inch iMac models back-ordered amid chip shortages, rumors of a refresh Apple Music says it pays one cent per stream, roughly twice what Spotify pays Apple’s full letter to artists on Apple Music streaming payouts Apple planning for strong iPhone 13 sales; ‘modest’ price increase for iPad Pro
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Sigmund Judge Twitter @sigjudge screentimes.net Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Another report claims iPhone 13 will use LTPO displays to enable ProMotion high-refresh rate Apple brings its 24-hour music video channel to the UK and Canada Apple TV+ plans to increase rate of original film production, hires ex-WarnerMedia film executive US senators accuse Apple of ‘abruptly' refusing to participate in App Store antitrust hearing Bloomberg: new 2021 iPad Pro coming later this month Apple chief compliance officer to appear at senate hearing on App Store antitrust Bloomberg: Apple developing connected TV box with integrated HomePod speaker and FaceTime camera Concept: Apple TV and HomePod would be a match made in tech heaven, here's what a mashup could look like Photo reveals new spring colors for iPhone 12 MagSafe case Siri says the next Apple event is on April 20: new iPad Pro expected Roku unveils new remote with dedicated Apple TV+ button, 'find my remote' feature Rumor: Leaked renders show strange new arrangement for iPhone 13 cameras Apple announces Louis Armstrong documentary Apple announces special event for April 20: 'Spring Loaded' Get ready for Apple's April 20th event with these colorful wallpapers Apple releases iOS 14.5 beta 8 to developers, public release expected soon Kuo: 'iPhone 14' lineup in 2022 will not include 5.4-inch mini size Kuo: iPhone 14 Pro to feature significant camera upgrades, including 48-megapixel sensor and 8K video recording 2023 iPhones will feature under-display Face ID and periscope telephoto lens, according to Ming-Chi Kuo Kuo: Apple AR headset to include 15 cameras Photo shows iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini notch, about ~30% smaller in width iOS 14.5: Apple Podcasts now automatically detects a show's release schedule Leaked photos reveal more new colors for Spring iPhone 12 MagSafe cases
- 'Spring Loaded' Apple iPad Pro event preview
- Find My third-party accessories, Apple Arcade+, iPhone 12 mini experience
- WWDC 2021 announced, rugged Apple Watch rumor, matte black iPhone 13 Pro
- macOS turns twenty, iPad multitasking, iPhone 13 rumors
- Goodbye HomePod, Thunderbolt iPad Pro, Apple’s aimless smart home strategy
Stacktrace Podcast |
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
Poker scorecard Play along with this episode’s poker game by filling in the score card and sharing it on Twitter or via email. Links
Rambo’s new microphone John’s podcasting equipment The Blue Yeti microphone Google Cloud Firebase HTTP URLSession curl Paw Protobuf Dave DeLong’s series on HTTP in Swift Managing URLs and endpoints in Swift Result builders Publish Annotating properties with result builder attributes
Subscribe: 🟣 Apple Podcasts 🟠 Overcast 🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
pCloud pCloud Backup pCloud for Business
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
- Mac backup technology with pCloud
- Zero-Touch deployment and why it's a key part of IT security
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Transforming iOS data entry and integrations with JotForm
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Stephen Hackett on leveraging podcast tech in the workplace
- Keeping email secure in a remote work world
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.