In this week’s top stories: Intel launches a new marketing campaign against Apple Silicon, iOS 14.5 beta 4 released, AirPods 3 and iPad Pro rumors, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple stories.
Apple vs Intel
Intel this week continued its desperate campaign against Apple Silicon. The company launched a new series of videos and a comparison website promoting the “benefits” of Intel over M1 Macs.
For the new video advertisements, Intel recruited Justin Long, who previously starred in Apple’s iconic “I’m a Mac” advertisements from 2006 to 2009.
Intel mocks Apple over things like the M1 MacBook Pro’s Touch Bar, lack of touchscreen, supporting only one external monitor at a time, lack of choice, flexibility, and more.
iOS 14.5 beta 4
On Monday, Apple released iOS 14.5 beta 4 to developers and public beta users. This latest beta did not bring many user-facing changes, but 9to5Mac did find some evidence of future changes. This includes new software update features, a potential new Apple retail experience, and updates coming to Apple Music.
While AirPods 3 were initially expected to launch sometime this month, a pair of reports this month indicated that AirPods 3 are not coming until sometime this fall.
Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has reported that AirPods 3 will not enter mass production until sometime in the third quarter, signaling a launch in time for the holiday shopping season. This was also corroborated by a separate leaker as well.
Finally, a new report from Bloomberg on Wednesday stated that Apple is planning an update for the iPad Pro that could come as soon as April. The report stated that the new iPad Pro will adopt Thunderbolt connectivity for the first time, opening the door to additional accessory options for iPad users.
Check out our full coverage of the Bloomberg report right here.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Apple releases iOS 14.5 beta 4 to developers and public beta users
- DuckDuckGo uses App Store privacy labels to call out Google for ‘spying’ on users
- Opinion: Apple Music needs these features and fixes to catch up to Spotify
- Apple allows Russia to pre-install apps on iPhones as part of device setup
- iOS security fixes could soon be delivered separately from other updates, beta code suggests
- Round-up: Transform your iOS Home Screen with these icon packs inspired by the 1984 Macintosh
- Apple promotes iPhone 12 durability in new ad [Video]
- Brazil’s consumer protection regulator fines Apple $2M for not including charger in iPhone 12 box
- Opensignal report claims iPhone 12 is slower than almost every Android phone in 5G/4G speed tests
- Will the iPhone 13 feature under-display Touch ID? Here’s what we know so far
- New images show prototype iPhone X in unreleased jet black finish
- Report suggests iPhone 12 aluminum edges could suffer from discoloration defect
Apple Watch |
- watchOS 7.4 beta 4 with iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch now available
- AirPods and Apple Watch continue to dominate wearables market, new IDC data shows
Mac and iPad |
- Everything we know about Apple’s rumored 2021 iPad Pro update
- ‘I’m a Mac’ star Justin Long pivots to Intel in new ads mocking M1 Macs
- Kuo: OLED iPad Air and Mini-LED MacBook Air coming next year
- Open-source team details the complexities in bringing Linux to Apple’s M1 Macs
- Intel claims M1 Macs ‘just don’t stack up’ against PCs on new comparison website
- Unreleased ARM iMac surfaces in Xcode crash log as launch of redesigned model nears
- Bloomberg: New iPad Pro with Thunderbolt connectivity coming ‘as early as April’
- Apple discontinues 512GB and 1TB SSD options for 21.5-inch iMac as refresh looms
Top Apple stories, retail |
- All 270 US Apple Stores are open for the first time since March 2020
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
AirPods and HomePod |
- Apple discontinues original HomePod
- Comment: Farewell HomePod, Apple’s most misunderstood product
- Comment: The state of Apple TV and end of HomePod warrants a Home strategy roundtable
- Apple promotes AirPods Pro in new ‘Jump’ ad ahead of rumored AirPods 3
- Poll: Do you think Apple will release a replacement for the discontinued HomePod?
- Concept: How Apple could combine the best of HomePod, Apple TV, and iPad to create the perfect smart display
- Apple AirPods 3 not launching until Q3, says Ming-Chi Kuo
- Leaker indicates AirPods 3 not launching in March, AirPods 2 to continue being sold
- Here are 5 smart speaker alternatives to fill the void left by Apple’s HomePod
- Apple turns AirPods Pro ‘Jump’ campaign into viral trend with new TikTok challenge
Apple Car |
- Apple Car could see three times farther at night by using infrared headlights
- Apple may use Foxconn or Magna as contract manufacturing partner for Apple Car
- Florida teenager to spend three years in prison after hacking Apple’s Twitter
- Hands-on: Sofa is a beautiful iOS app to neatly organize all the media you want to check out
- iPhone app privacy analysis shows which apps collect the most personal data
- ‘Vinyls’ is a minimalist new app for Apple Music subscribers
AR/VR Headset |
- Kuo: 2022 Apple headset will track eye movement, blinking, and possibly authenticate users with iris recognition
AAPL Company |
- Apple brand loyalty hits all-time high as Samsung loyalty dives
- Tim Cook talks personal routine, Apple’s return to in-person work, and more
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Apple sets new deadline for corporate employees to return to the office three days a week iOS 16 beta 6 gives users more control over battery percentage in Low Power Mode Florida airline worker arrested after AirTag reveals he stole thousands of dollars worth of luggage
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Don’t miss out on our other daily podcasts:
Quick Charge 9to5Toys Daily
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at email@example.com. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Rahul Matta Twitter @rmatta Twitter @TempoLog Blog indie.sh Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Toning down the Apple Watch: Tips and feature requests to avoid being overwhelmed Apple releases watchOS 7.4.1 with security improvements Apple Watch blood sugar and blood pressure measurement could be a step closer watchOS 7.4 brings iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Read More
The good news about Apple’s rumored iPhone 14 Pro price hike Bloomberg: Apple tells suppliers to make at least 90 million iPhone 14 units Here’s everything we know so far about the 2022 iPad Pro Apple expands original podcasts investment as it hunts for compelling stories to adapt into TV+ shows Kuo: iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max to get more expensive NASA is sending an iPad around the moon to help test Alexa in space Third iOS 16 public beta now available with new battery percentage icon, more Kuo: iPhone 14 series not facing impacts on supply chain as mass production and shipment schedule are on track Apple and Kim Kardashian collaborate on unique Beats Fit Pro line Kuo: AirPods to switch to USB-C for charging alongside iPhone 15 in 2023 Find My has a new sound alert with iOS 16 beta 5, here’s how it sounds iOS 16 beta 5 adds ‘Copy and Delete’ option for sharing screenshots without clutter AAPL acquisitions fell dramatically in 2021 and 2022, show regulatory filings iPhone 14 event: Apple begins production of virtual keynote for September Rumor: 2022 iPad Pro to feature two new ‘four-pin connectors’ for accessories
Listen to more Happy Hour Episodes
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Listen to more 9to5 Podcasts
Apple @ Work Alphabet Scoop Electrek The Buzz Podcast Space Explored Rapid Unscheduled Discussions
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Happy Hour or shop 9to5Mac Merch!
- iOS 16 beta 5 new features, iPhone 14 price rise and new iPad Pro rumors
- iPhone 14 always-on details, more App Store ads, iPadOS 16 delayed
- iOS 16 beta 4 changes, more Apple Watch Pro info and AR’s uncertain future
- MacBook Air hands on, Apple TV+ Emmys, Apple Health whitepaper
- iOS 16 public beta is out, macOS Ventura System Settings, Apple Car details
Stacktrace Podcast |
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Rapid Security Response enables IT to receive fast software updates for macOS and iOS iOS 16 brings Passkey support to the enterprise
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.