In this week’s top stories: Even more details on Apple Car, rumors about what to expect from the iPad in 2021, WhatsApp tightens its integration Facebook, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple Stories.
A new report from Bloomberg this week offered new details on what to expect from Apple Car. The report indicated that Apple has continued to poach more ex-Tesla executives, but that a release is at least 5-7 years away.
But perhaps more notably on Thursday evening, Hyundai Motor confirmed that it’s having early discussions with Apple about producing its new car. A spokesperson for the company told CNBC that Apple is in discussions “with a variety of global automakers, including Hyundai Motor.”
WhatsApp will soon start sharing your data with Facebook whether you like it or not. WhatsApp began sharing data with Facebook by default in 2016, but the company provided a way to opt-out. That will change soon, however, as WhatsApp is making changes to its privacy to remove the opt-out option completely, at least outside of Europe.
If you’re looking to ditch Facebook completely, you can find details on the best WhatsApp alternatives in our full coverage right here.
2021 16-inch MacBook Pro
A new supply chain report this week echoed claims that we can expect a 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro with a miniLED screen. It’s of course a no-brainer that the next 16-inch MacBook Pro will be powered by Apple Silicon, whether that’s an M1 chip or a later variant. It’s also a near-certainty that we can expect slimmer bezels.
Apple AR headset
Finally, reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo published a new investor note this week focused on what to expect from Apple in 2021. The analyst says that Apple will release its first augmented reality device in 2021, alongside AirTag item trackers and much more.
Details on the augmented reality device are still unclear. Kuo has previously said that Apple’s first generation of AR glasses will be heavily dependent on the iPhone. Kuo has reported in the past that the AR glasses will essentially act as a display only with the actual computing, rendering, internet connectivity, and location services coming from the iPhone in the user’s pocket.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Making sense of the oddities of Apple’s USB-C chargers
- Rumor: iPhone 13 to be slightly thicker, feature smaller notch and same camera bump
- CIRP: iPhone 12 sales strong at launch, but iPhone 12 mini ‘likely disappointed Apple’
- Report: Entire iPhone 13 lineup to feature LiDAR scanner, not just ‘Pro’ models
- Review: Belkin Boost Charge Pro is the iPhone 12/Apple Watch power station with MagSafe to buy
- Rumor: Apple to release AirPods Pro 2 and third-generation iPhone SE in April
Apple Watch |
- Here are some of the best features to try on your new Apple Watch
- These are some of our must-have apps to install on a new Apple Watch
- Images show disguised Apple Watch prototype running pre-watchOS software
- How to change your Apple Watch move, exercise, and stand goals with watchOS 7
- Apple Watch ‘Ring in the New Year’ Activity Challenge now available
Mac and iPad |
- With support officially ended, Adobe ‘strongly recommends’ removing Flash now, here’s how
- 2021 16-inch MacBook Pro with miniLED screen: Supply-chain report echos Kuo
- Report speculates that Google hasn’t updated its iOS apps in weeks to avoid providing privacy details
- Google says it will update its iOS apps with privacy details beginning this week
- Former Apple engineer details how the magic of M1 Mac performance began 10 years ago
- Rumor: New iPad Pro coming in March, thicker 12.9-inch model with mini-LED display
- Apple patents show MacBook wirelessly charging iPhone, iPad, Watch
- Rumor: Entry-level iPad to adopt iPad Air 3 design, no design changes for 2021 iPad Pro
Top Apple stories, retail |
- Unified shopping information could make Apple Store visits less confusing
- Latest lockdowns close remainder of UK Apple Stores
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
- App privacy labels show stark contrasts among messaging apps
- WhatsApp will share your data with Facebook whether you like it or not
- ‘TV Remote’ is an app that turns your iPhone into a universal control for your TV
- As WhatsApp deepens integration with Facebook, here are two alternatives for iOS
- Facebook tells businesses it has no choice but to comply with upcoming App Tracking Transparency feature in iOS 14
- After threatening removal, Apple says macOS utility Amphetamine can stay on the App Store
- Microsoft planning controversial switch from native Outlook for Mac app to web version
- Overviewer is a new app that turns an iPhone into a document camera for Zoom and virtual learning
- Minecraft Earth AR app shutting down this year despite once being demoed at WWDC
- Apple kicks Parler off the App Store citing ‘threats of violence and illegal activity’
Apple Car |
- Kuo: Market ‘too bullish’ on Apple Car, launch could be 2028 or later
- Hyundai Motor confirms talks with Apple for potential Apple Car production
- Report: Apple and Hyundai hope to reach deal for Apple Car by March, begin US production in 2024
Top Apple stories, company |
- Comment: Now is the right time for Apple to bring iMessage to Android and Windows
- Here’s everything we know about Apple’s plans for an AR headset
- Apple launches limited-edition AirPods Pro to celebrate Chinese New Year
- Kuo: Apple to release AirTags, first AR device, new AirPods, and more in 2021
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Review: Belkin MagSafe Car Vent Mount Pro – good, but not ‘pro’ [Video]
- Hands-on: Apple Wallet with MagSafe versus third-party alternatives [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
9to5Toys (@9to5toys) / Twitter ProRes support for iPhone 13 Pro coming soon with an iOS update iPhone 13 Pro shipping estimates slip into October for pre-orders iPhone 13 pre-orders now live, here are the details Not sold on Series 7? Go save up to $140 on Apple Watch Series 6 instead iPad mini pre-order deals drop prices down to $459 Apple's official Leather MagSafe Wallet returns to Amazon low at $49.50
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Follow Blair: Twitter: @Blairaltland Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
Sponsored by HabitMinder: Change your habits, change your life. HabitMinder helps you form healthy habits and stay accountable. Get started for free on iOS, Mac, and Apple Watch.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Rahul Matta Twitter @rmatta Twitter @TempoLog Blog indie.sh Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Toning down the Apple Watch: Tips and feature requests to avoid being overwhelmed Apple releases watchOS 7.4.1 with security improvements Apple Watch blood sugar and blood pressure measurement could be a step closer watchOS 7.4 brings iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Read More Apple TV+ / Fitness+
Apple Fitness+ expanding to 15 more countries, adding Group Workouts with SharePlay Apple TV+ Guide: Here are all the Apple TV shows and movies available now
iPad / iPad mini
Apple announces new entry-level iPad with screen, camera, and storage upgrades iPad mini benchmarks show slightly lower-power A15 chip inside than iPhone 13 iPad mini 6 tidbits: A15 chip, camera upgrades, no mmWave 5G, more All of the ways the new iPad mini is better than the iPad Air: cameras, processor, 5G, and more Comment: The star of yesterday’s Apple event was the new iPad mini
Apple Watch Series 7
Apple Watch Series 7 debuts with similar design, larger display, faster charging, new colors, more Apple Watch Series 7 and SE now come with USB-C cable; fast charging may not work with MagSafe Duo Apple Watch Series 7 FAQ: color comparisons, band compatibility, release date Apple Watch Series 7 has the same processor as last year’s Apple Watch Series 6 Apple releases all-new watch band collection in a wide variety of colors for Series 7
iPhone 13 / iPhone 13 mini
iPhone 13 pre-order process broken for many Apple Card, Apple Pay, and iUP shoppers iPhone 13 lineup now available to pre-order, first shipments arrive next week This is how Apple is removing the plastic wrap from iPhone 13 box iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro: 5 reasons to upgrade
iPhone 13 Pro / iPhone 13 Pro Max
iPhone 13 Pro shipping estimates slip into October for pre-orders ProRes support for iPhone 13 Pro ‘coming soon’ with a future iOS update iPhone 13 Pro Max with 1TB costs $1,599, iPhone XR and iPhone 12 Pro discontinued
Listen to more Happy Hour Episodes
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Listen to more 9to5 Podcasts
Stacktrace Apple @ Work Alphabet Scoop Electrek The Buzz Podcast Space Explored Rapid Unscheduled Discussions
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Happy Hour!
- iPhone 13, iPad mini, and Apple Watch Series 7 first impressions
- iPhone 13, Apple Watch Series 7 and more September Apple event expectations
- iPhone 13 satellite communication, Apple Watch production delays, App Store settlements
- Steve Jobs legacy, Apple Watch design changes, TestFlight on Mac
- iOS 15 Safari design reverted, Apple Watch Series 7 rumors, SharePlay delay
Stacktrace Podcast |
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
Combine John’s tip on how to visualize Combine output Apple’s “California Streaming” event video Ted Lasso
Subscribe 🟣 Apple Podcasts🟠 Overcast🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Apple's 11 Reasons for running a Mac at work
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
- Real or Fake – examining Apple's top reasons for using a Mac at work
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Front creates a place for teams to collaborate on customer communication
- This is the way forward for Apple device management
- The past, present, and future of Apple device management with Jeremy Butcher from Apple
- The State of the IT Admin with Tom Bridge
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.