In this week’s top stories: Apple officially announces WWDC 2021, a massive Apple Arcade expansion, iOS 14.5 changes, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple stories.
iOS 14.5 beta 6 changes
Apple this week released the sixth developer and public betas of iOS 14.5. The update continues to introduce new features and improvements, this time related to Siri and battery heath.
With iOS 14.5 beta 6, Apple has added two new Siri voices from which users can choose. iOS will also no longer default to a female voice starting with this update. Instead, users will be able to pick which voice they’d like to use.
iOS 14.5 beta 6 also introduces a new battery recalibration tool for iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and IPhone 11 Pro Max. This means that users will be able to recalibrate their battery if they believe things like battery health data and maximum capacity are incorrect.
Be sure to check out our full video right here for a look at everything new in iOS 14.5 beta 6.
Apple Arcade expansion
On Friday, Apple announced a massive expansion for its Apple Arcade game subscription service. The company is now offering two new categories of games: Timeless Classics and App Store Greats.
As part of this expansion, Apple has added more than 30 new titles to Apple Arcade, including hit iOS hits like Threes!, Cut the Rope, and Fruit Ninja, as well as classics including Good Sudoku and Chess.
You can find the full breakdown of all of the new Apple Arcade titles right here.
Finally, Apple has officially set the dates for WWDC 2021. This year, the annual Worldwide Developers Conference will be held as a digital event from June 7 through June 11.
At the event, we expect Apple to introduce iOS 15, watchOS 8, macOS 12, and more. Apple says that WWDC 2021 “will offer unique insight into the future of iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS.”
Apple says that WWDC 2021 will include keynote and State of the Union events, online sessions, 1:1 labs for developers, and new ways for developers to interact with Apple engineers and designers.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Concept: 50+ ways Apple could refine the iPhone experience with iOS 15
- Apple introduces battery recalibration tool for iPhone with iOS 14.5 beta 6
- Hands-on: Here’s how iPhone battery recalibration works in iOS 14.5
- Apple Maps speed camera feature now rolling out to more countries [U]
- iOS 14.5: Siri no longer defaults to a female voice, two new choices added
- Apple references unreleased iOS 15 and macOS 12 updates in WebKit code
- Research shows Google collects 20x more data from Android than Apple collects from iOS [U]
- Hands-on: Here’s how to find the new Siri voices in iOS 14.5
- Apple releases iOS 14.5 beta 6 to developers, public release nears
- Belkin reveals new MagSafe compatible iPhone 12 accessories, including battery packs and more
- iPhone 12 Mini Diary: Anker’s new MagSafe compatible battery pack is a must-have accessory
- iPhone 12 mini: Best for people who don’t love phones, but love what they can do
- iPhone 12 Pro vs. iPhone 12 Pro Max: Which should you buy in 2021?
- Verizon will give you up to $1000 for your broken iPhone, claims it’s not an April Fools’ Day prank
- Apple patent opens the door for future iPhones to use Mac Pro’s cheese grater design
- iPhone 13 Pro Max will have slightly better main lens than rest of lineup – Kuo
Apple Watch |
- Stanford study finds Apple Watch can accurately assess ‘frailty’ using activity data
- watchOS 7.4 beta 6 brings iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch closer to launch
Mac and iPad |
- Opinion: The 2018 iPad Pro was one of the most future-proof computers ever made
- Feature Request: The 2021 iPad Pro will need iPadOS 15 to unleash its full potential
- New first-gen iPad prototype images detail how Apple considered a ‘dual dock’ design
- Apple knowingly sold defective Macs, says judge, in ‘stage light’ case
- Poll: Which rumored 2021 iPad Pro feature are you most excited about?
Top Apple stories, retail |
AirPods and HomePod |
- Apple discontinues original HomePod
- Comment: Farewell HomePod, Apple’s most misunderstood product
- Comment: The state of Apple TV and end of HomePod warrants a Home strategy roundtable
- Apple promotes AirPods Pro in new ‘Jump’ ad ahead of rumored AirPods 3
- Poll: Do you think Apple will release a replacement for the discontinued HomePod?
- Concept: How Apple could combine the best of HomePod, Apple TV, and iPad to create the perfect smart display
- Apple AirPods 3 not launching until Q3, says Ming-Chi Kuo
- Leaker indicates AirPods 3 not launching in March, AirPods 2 to continue being sold
- Here are 5 smart speaker alternatives to fill the void left by Apple’s HomePod
- Apple turns AirPods Pro ‘Jump’ campaign into viral trend with new TikTok challenge
- How-to: Create NFTs on iPhone or iPad with S!NG app
- Personal data from over 500M Facebook users leaked online
- Microsoft Teams Mac performance improvements promised; M1 app unclear
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered launches for iPhone and iPad
- Apple Arcade gets massive expansion with 30 new games, including hit iOS classics and more
Apple TV |
- Here is Apple’s ‘B519’ remote for Apple TV, designed in cooperation with cable companies
- Report: Apple in talks with SK Telecom to distribute Apple TV+ content in Korea
- Apple TV+ expands creative team with hire of veteran entertainment exec
WWDC 2021 |
- Apple officially announces virtual WWDC 2021 for June, iOS 15 and more expected
- With WWDC confirmed, catch up on our iOS 15, macOS 12, and watchOS 8 concepts here
- Apple references Craig Federighi meme for WWDC 2021 artwork, but with a twist
- Poll: Which new OS are you most excited to see unveiled at WWDC 2021?
AAPL Company |
- On Apple’s 45th birthday, here are some of the most memorable moments in the company’s history
- Tim Cook invokes Steve Jobs in company-wide memo celebrating Apple’s 45th anniversary
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Hands-on: iOS 14.5 beta 6 changes and features – new Siri voices, and battery recalibration [Video]
- iOS 14 rewind review – a look back at the most compelling features for iPhone
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Apple announces $200 million investment fund for forest restoration projects Apple Pay with Express Transit support comes to San Francisco’s Clipper card Apple silicon supplier TSMC warns chip shortages will persist into 2022 Apple's official iPhone 11/Pro/Max cases now on sale from $14 (Save up to 64%) Razer’s Kishi MFi Controller Grip elevates iPhone gaming at $85 (New low), more from $70 Anker heads into the weekend with discounted iPhone and Android essentials from $11 9to5Toys (@9to5toys) / Twitter
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Follow Blair: Twitter: @Blairaltland Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at email@example.com. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Sigmund Judge Twitter @sigjudge screentimes.net Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Another report claims iPhone 13 will use LTPO displays to enable ProMotion high-refresh rate Apple brings its 24-hour music video channel to the UK and Canada Apple TV+ plans to increase rate of original film production, hires ex-WarnerMedia film executive US senators accuse Apple of ‘abruptly' refusing to participate in App Store antitrust hearing Bloomberg: new 2021 iPad Pro coming later this month Apple chief compliance officer to appear at senate hearing on App Store antitrust Bloomberg: Apple developing connected TV box with integrated HomePod speaker and FaceTime camera Concept: Apple TV and HomePod would be a match made in tech heaven, here's what a mashup could look like Photo reveals new spring colors for iPhone 12 MagSafe case Siri says the next Apple event is on April 20: new iPad Pro expected Roku unveils new remote with dedicated Apple TV+ button, 'find my remote' feature Rumor: Leaked renders show strange new arrangement for iPhone 13 cameras Apple announces Louis Armstrong documentary Apple announces special event for April 20: 'Spring Loaded' Get ready for Apple's April 20th event with these colorful wallpapers Apple releases iOS 14.5 beta 8 to developers, public release expected soon Kuo: 'iPhone 14' lineup in 2022 will not include 5.4-inch mini size Kuo: iPhone 14 Pro to feature significant camera upgrades, including 48-megapixel sensor and 8K video recording 2023 iPhones will feature under-display Face ID and periscope telephoto lens, according to Ming-Chi Kuo Kuo: Apple AR headset to include 15 cameras Photo shows iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini notch, about ~30% smaller in width iOS 14.5: Apple Podcasts now automatically detects a show's release schedule Leaked photos reveal more new colors for Spring iPhone 12 MagSafe cases
- 'Spring Loaded' Apple iPad Pro event preview
- Find My third-party accessories, Apple Arcade+, iPhone 12 mini experience
- WWDC 2021 announced, rugged Apple Watch rumor, matte black iPhone 13 Pro
- macOS turns twenty, iPad multitasking, iPhone 13 rumors
- Goodbye HomePod, Thunderbolt iPad Pro, Apple’s aimless smart home strategy
Stacktrace Podcast |
Sponsored by Linode: Get $100 in free credit to Develop, deploy, and scale your modern applications faster and easier.
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
Poker scorecard Play along with this episode’s poker game by filling in the score card and sharing it on Twitter or via email. Links
Rambo’s new microphone John’s podcasting equipment The Blue Yeti microphone Google Cloud Firebase HTTP URLSession curl Paw Protobuf Dave DeLong’s series on HTTP in Swift Managing URLs and endpoints in Swift Result builders Publish Annotating properties with result builder attributes
Subscribe: 🟣 Apple Podcasts 🟠 Overcast 🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
pCloud pCloud Backup pCloud for Business
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
- Mac backup technology with pCloud
- Zero-Touch deployment and why it's a key part of IT security
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Transforming iOS data entry and integrations with JotForm
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Stephen Hackett on leveraging podcast tech in the workplace
- Keeping email secure in a remote work world
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.