In this week’s top stories: Apple officially announces WWDC 2021, a massive Apple Arcade expansion, iOS 14.5 changes, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple stories.
iOS 14.5 beta 6 changes
Apple this week released the sixth developer and public betas of iOS 14.5. The update continues to introduce new features and improvements, this time related to Siri and battery heath.
With iOS 14.5 beta 6, Apple has added two new Siri voices from which users can choose. iOS will also no longer default to a female voice starting with this update. Instead, users will be able to pick which voice they’d like to use.
iOS 14.5 beta 6 also introduces a new battery recalibration tool for iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and IPhone 11 Pro Max. This means that users will be able to recalibrate their battery if they believe things like battery health data and maximum capacity are incorrect.
Be sure to check out our full video right here for a look at everything new in iOS 14.5 beta 6.
Apple Arcade expansion
On Friday, Apple announced a massive expansion for its Apple Arcade game subscription service. The company is now offering two new categories of games: Timeless Classics and App Store Greats.
As part of this expansion, Apple has added more than 30 new titles to Apple Arcade, including hit iOS hits like Threes!, Cut the Rope, and Fruit Ninja, as well as classics including Good Sudoku and Chess.
You can find the full breakdown of all of the new Apple Arcade titles right here.
Finally, Apple has officially set the dates for WWDC 2021. This year, the annual Worldwide Developers Conference will be held as a digital event from June 7 through June 11.
At the event, we expect Apple to introduce iOS 15, watchOS 8, macOS 12, and more. Apple says that WWDC 2021 “will offer unique insight into the future of iOS, iPadOS, macOS, watchOS, and tvOS.”
Apple says that WWDC 2021 will include keynote and State of the Union events, online sessions, 1:1 labs for developers, and new ways for developers to interact with Apple engineers and designers.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Concept: 50+ ways Apple could refine the iPhone experience with iOS 15
- Apple introduces battery recalibration tool for iPhone with iOS 14.5 beta 6
- Hands-on: Here’s how iPhone battery recalibration works in iOS 14.5
- Apple Maps speed camera feature now rolling out to more countries [U]
- iOS 14.5: Siri no longer defaults to a female voice, two new choices added
- Apple references unreleased iOS 15 and macOS 12 updates in WebKit code
- Research shows Google collects 20x more data from Android than Apple collects from iOS [U]
- Hands-on: Here’s how to find the new Siri voices in iOS 14.5
- Apple releases iOS 14.5 beta 6 to developers, public release nears
- Belkin reveals new MagSafe compatible iPhone 12 accessories, including battery packs and more
- iPhone 12 Mini Diary: Anker’s new MagSafe compatible battery pack is a must-have accessory
- iPhone 12 mini: Best for people who don’t love phones, but love what they can do
- iPhone 12 Pro vs. iPhone 12 Pro Max: Which should you buy in 2021?
- Verizon will give you up to $1000 for your broken iPhone, claims it’s not an April Fools’ Day prank
- Apple patent opens the door for future iPhones to use Mac Pro’s cheese grater design
- iPhone 13 Pro Max will have slightly better main lens than rest of lineup – Kuo
Apple Watch |
- Stanford study finds Apple Watch can accurately assess ‘frailty’ using activity data
- watchOS 7.4 beta 6 brings iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch closer to launch
Mac and iPad |
- Opinion: The 2018 iPad Pro was one of the most future-proof computers ever made
- Feature Request: The 2021 iPad Pro will need iPadOS 15 to unleash its full potential
- New first-gen iPad prototype images detail how Apple considered a ‘dual dock’ design
- Apple knowingly sold defective Macs, says judge, in ‘stage light’ case
- Poll: Which rumored 2021 iPad Pro feature are you most excited about?
Top Apple stories, retail |
AirPods and HomePod |
- Apple discontinues original HomePod
- Comment: Farewell HomePod, Apple’s most misunderstood product
- Comment: The state of Apple TV and end of HomePod warrants a Home strategy roundtable
- Apple promotes AirPods Pro in new ‘Jump’ ad ahead of rumored AirPods 3
- Poll: Do you think Apple will release a replacement for the discontinued HomePod?
- Concept: How Apple could combine the best of HomePod, Apple TV, and iPad to create the perfect smart display
- Apple AirPods 3 not launching until Q3, says Ming-Chi Kuo
- Leaker indicates AirPods 3 not launching in March, AirPods 2 to continue being sold
- Here are 5 smart speaker alternatives to fill the void left by Apple’s HomePod
- Apple turns AirPods Pro ‘Jump’ campaign into viral trend with new TikTok challenge
- How-to: Create NFTs on iPhone or iPad with S!NG app
- Personal data from over 500M Facebook users leaked online
- Microsoft Teams Mac performance improvements promised; M1 app unclear
- Final Fantasy VIII Remastered launches for iPhone and iPad
- Apple Arcade gets massive expansion with 30 new games, including hit iOS classics and more
Apple TV |
- Here is Apple’s ‘B519’ remote for Apple TV, designed in cooperation with cable companies
- Report: Apple in talks with SK Telecom to distribute Apple TV+ content in Korea
- Apple TV+ expands creative team with hire of veteran entertainment exec
WWDC 2021 |
- Apple officially announces virtual WWDC 2021 for June, iOS 15 and more expected
- With WWDC confirmed, catch up on our iOS 15, macOS 12, and watchOS 8 concepts here
- Apple references Craig Federighi meme for WWDC 2021 artwork, but with a twist
- Poll: Which new OS are you most excited to see unveiled at WWDC 2021?
AAPL Company |
- On Apple’s 45th birthday, here are some of the most memorable moments in the company’s history
- Tim Cook invokes Steve Jobs in company-wide memo celebrating Apple’s 45th anniversary
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Hands-on: iOS 14.5 beta 6 changes and features – new Siri voices, and battery recalibration [Video]
- iOS 14 rewind review – a look back at the most compelling features for iPhone
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Rumors: Foldable iPad in 2024 dismissed, Apple developing 21-inch 'foldable notebook' Better optical zoom exclusive to iPhone 'Pro Max' models until 2025 Here's how Netflix will prevent account password sharing
Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Mastodon: @email@example.com Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Spotify TuneIn Google Play
Catch up on 9to5Mac Daily episodes!
Don’t miss out on our other daily podcasts:
Quick Charge 9to5Toys Daily
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show.
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Rahul Matta Twitter @rmatta Twitter @TempoLog Blog indie.sh Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Toning down the Apple Watch: Tips and feature requests to avoid being overwhelmed Apple releases watchOS 7.4.1 with security improvements Apple Watch blood sugar and blood pressure measurement could be a step closer watchOS 7.4 brings iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac or @email@example.com Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo or @firstname.lastname@example.org Read More
Apple Watch Ultra never really turns off Advanced Data Protection has created a problem for HomePods, here’s how to fix it Timothée Chalamet is desperate to have an Apple TV+ show in new ad M2 MacBook Pro reviews: A beast of a machine, but overkill for almost everyone M2 Mac mini reviews: ‘Mac Studio junior’ with impressive performance, versatile prices Rumor: iPhone 15 Pro to feature ‘beautiful’ new design with thinner bezels and curved edges Apple ‘Reality Pro’ headset will toggle between AR/VR, serve as Mac display, 2-hour external battery packs, more Hands-on: Tapbots officially launches ‘Ivory for Mastodon’ with Tweetbot foundation Apple Fellow Phil Schiller confirms he’s now on Mastodon after deleting Twitter account
Listen to more Happy Hour Episodes
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
- M2 MacBook Pro reviews, iPhone 15 design, Apple AR headset software details
- HomePod returns, M2 Mac mini and new MacBook Pro announced
- Touchscreen Macs, 2023 Apple product roadmap and in-house part rumors
- New HomeKit architecture paused, 2023 Apple rumors, AR headset details
- 2022 Apple Year in Review
Stacktrace Podcast |
Sponsored by Linode: Get $100 in free credit to Develop, deploy, and scale your modern applications faster and easier.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Connect with Gary on LinkedIn Bitwarden Bitwarden acquires passwordless authentication startup Passwordless.dev
Connect with Bradley
Nostr Twitter LinkedIn
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
Listen to Past Episodes
Apple @ Work is brought to you by Mosyle, the only Apple Unified Platform. Mosyle is the only solution that fully integrates 5 different applications on a single Apple-only platform, allowing Businesses to easily and automatically deploy, manage & protect all their Apple devices. Over 38,000 organizations leverage Mosyle solutions to automate the deployment, management, and security of millions of Apple devices daily. Request a FREE account today and discover how you can put your Apple fleet on auto-pilot at a price point that is hard to believe.
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.