In this week’s top stories: New details on Apple Car, more developments in the ongoing battle between Apple and Facebook, tips and tricks for getting started with your new Apple devices, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple Stories.
A new report this week from Reuters offered some of the newest details on Apple’s ongoing quest to build a self-driving electric car. The report claimed that Apple Car could enter production by 2024 with “breakthrough battery technology” and self-driving capabilities powered by LiDAR.
The timeline, however, has been controversial, with some people thinking it is too optimistic. The report cautioned that pandemic-induced delays could push production of Apple Car into 2025 or later.
New Apple TV
A new Apple TV is still on track to be released in 2021, Bloomberg reported this week. The new Apple TV is expected to focus on gaming and include a new processor inside. The Siri Remote is also expected to change, with Apple reportedly planning to add integration with the Find My application.
Further details on the revamped Apple TV, such as pricing and availability, remain unclear. Nonetheless, the project does still appear to be on track for sometime in 2021.
Apple vs Facebook
In the ongoing battle between Apple and Facebook over upcoming iOS 14 privacy changes, the Electronic Frontier Foundation notably sided with Apple this week. The EFF called Facebook’s argument “laughable” and said that the changes Apple is making should be considered the bare minimum for privacy protection.
Finally, the actual privacy prompt in iOS 14 that Facebook is upset about has slowly started rolling out to users. Find more details in our full coverage right here.
Holiday buying guides
We also have a brand new collection of guides on 9to5Mac to help you get the most out of the new Apple devices you might have unwrapped this holiday season.
- Here are some of the best features to try on your new Apple Watch
- Best tips and tricks for using your new iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, more
- These are some of the best camera and photo editing apps for your new iPhone
- Tips and tricks for getting the most out of your new AirPods or AirPods Pro
- The best apps and games to buy with the Apple gift card you just unwrapped
- Getting started with Apple TV: How to set up Apple TV for the best experience
- New Mac for Christmas? Here are some of the best apps to download
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
iOS | tvOS |
- How to check who can see your iPhone location
- Some iOS 14 users now seeing Apple’s new tracking pop up, full rollout expected in early 2021
- One of the first third-party MagSafe battery packs for iPhone 12 is now available to order
- iPhone 12 mini Diary: Overnight ICU stay shows the limitations of the smaller battery
- Apple begins shipping ‘rooted’ iPhones to members of the Security Research Device Program
- PSA: If you’re on Verizon, you might want to turn off 5G to get faster speeds
- iPhone 12 is the world’s best-selling 5G phone – Counterpoint
Apple Watch |
- Here’s how and why you should set up Cardio Fitness on iPhone and Apple Watch
- How to use Apple Fitness+: Apple Watch requirement, sign up, start workouts, more
- watchOS 7.2 now available with Apple Fitness+ and new cardio fitness notifications
- Apple Watch ‘Ring in the New Year’ Activity Challenge officially set for January 2021
- Concept: With Fitness+, Apple should expand its Apple Watch lineup with a true Fitbit killer
Mac and iPad |
- Apple asks for M1 MacBook feedback, what would you change? [Poll]
- Nintendo Switch games have been successfully emulated on M1 Macs
- Apple says fix coming for using an M1 Mac with ultrawide monitors
Top Apple stories, retail |
- Download festive wallpapers from The 12 Days of Apple Stores
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
AirPods and Apple TV |
- WaterField Designs launches the AirPods Max case that Apple should have shipped
- Concept: How Apple could differentiate the Apple TV and supercharge tvOS in the process
- The best accessories for AirPods Max: Headphone stands, AirFly, and more
- New gaming-focused Apple TV with updated remote reportedly still on track for 2021
- Apple TV+ Guide: Here are all the Apple TV shows and movies available now
- ‘Ted Lasso’ creator says hit Apple TV+ show is likely to end after season 3
Apple Car |
- Reuters: Apple Car could begin production in 2024 with ‘breakthrough battery technology’
- Comment: I’ll believe in the Apple Car launch when the first customer takes delivery
- AAPL and LiDAR stocks up on latest Apple Car report
- Goldman Sachs says Apple doesn’t care about a car, rather the in-car experience
- TikTok for iOS adds new year-in-review feature, here’s how to find it
- Developers report Apple is already charging lower commission on App Store sales
- [Update: Now available] Zoom to roll out native support for Apple Silicon Macs on December 21
- ‘Flex Widgets’ lets you create and customize your own widgets for the iOS home screen
Top Apple stories, company |
- EFF sides with Apple, slams Facebook’s criticism of iOS 14 privacy features as ‘laughable’
- Epic Games continues ‘Free Fortnite’ campaign with Apple-inspired press pack sent to influencers
- Even Facebook employees call criticism of Apple’s privacy rules ‘hypocrisy’
- MGM up for sale for $5B after ‘preliminary talks’ with Apple failed
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- How to run Windows for ARM on M1 Macs using Parallels 16 Technical Preview [Video]
- watchOS 7 recap review: Thoughtful upgrades make Apple Watch better [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
Sponsored by Direct Mail: Create and send great looking email newsletters with Direct Mail, an easy to use email marketing app for the Mac. Get started for free and save 10% when you sign up for any pricing plan.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
9to5Toys (@9to5toys) / Twitter ProRes support for iPhone 13 Pro coming soon with an iOS update iPhone 13 Pro shipping estimates slip into October for pre-orders iPhone 13 pre-orders now live, here are the details Not sold on Series 7? Go save up to $140 on Apple Watch Series 6 instead iPad mini pre-order deals drop prices down to $459 Apple's official Leather MagSafe Wallet returns to Amazon low at $49.50
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Follow Blair: Twitter: @Blairaltland Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at email@example.com. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Rahul Matta Twitter @rmatta Twitter @TempoLog Blog indie.sh Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Toning down the Apple Watch: Tips and feature requests to avoid being overwhelmed Apple releases watchOS 7.4.1 with security improvements Apple Watch blood sugar and blood pressure measurement could be a step closer watchOS 7.4 brings iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Sponsored by BetterHelp: Get started today and enjoy 10% off your first month. Discount code “machappyhour” will be automatically applied.
Sponsored by Fundrise: Welcome to the future of real estate investing.
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Read More Apple TV+ / Fitness+
Apple Fitness+ expanding to 15 more countries, adding Group Workouts with SharePlay Apple TV+ Guide: Here are all the Apple TV shows and movies available now
iPad / iPad mini
Apple announces new entry-level iPad with screen, camera, and storage upgrades iPad mini benchmarks show slightly lower-power A15 chip inside than iPhone 13 iPad mini 6 tidbits: A15 chip, camera upgrades, no mmWave 5G, more All of the ways the new iPad mini is better than the iPad Air: cameras, processor, 5G, and more Comment: The star of yesterday’s Apple event was the new iPad mini
Apple Watch Series 7
Apple Watch Series 7 debuts with similar design, larger display, faster charging, new colors, more Apple Watch Series 7 and SE now come with USB-C cable; fast charging may not work with MagSafe Duo Apple Watch Series 7 FAQ: color comparisons, band compatibility, release date Apple Watch Series 7 has the same processor as last year’s Apple Watch Series 6 Apple releases all-new watch band collection in a wide variety of colors for Series 7
iPhone 13 / iPhone 13 mini
iPhone 13 pre-order process broken for many Apple Card, Apple Pay, and iUP shoppers iPhone 13 lineup now available to pre-order, first shipments arrive next week This is how Apple is removing the plastic wrap from iPhone 13 box iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro: 5 reasons to upgrade
iPhone 13 Pro / iPhone 13 Pro Max
iPhone 13 Pro shipping estimates slip into October for pre-orders ProRes support for iPhone 13 Pro ‘coming soon’ with a future iOS update iPhone 13 Pro Max with 1TB costs $1,599, iPhone XR and iPhone 12 Pro discontinued
Listen to more Happy Hour Episodes
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Listen to more 9to5 Podcasts
Stacktrace Apple @ Work Alphabet Scoop Electrek The Buzz Podcast Space Explored Rapid Unscheduled Discussions
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Happy Hour!
- iPhone 13, iPad mini, and Apple Watch Series 7 first impressions
- iPhone 13, Apple Watch Series 7 and more September Apple event expectations
- iPhone 13 satellite communication, Apple Watch production delays, App Store settlements
- Steve Jobs legacy, Apple Watch design changes, TestFlight on Mac
- iOS 15 Safari design reverted, Apple Watch Series 7 rumors, SharePlay delay
Stacktrace Podcast |
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
Combine John’s tip on how to visualize Combine output Apple’s “California Streaming” event video Ted Lasso
Subscribe 🟣 Apple Podcasts🟠 Overcast🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Apple's 11 Reasons for running a Mac at work
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
- Real or Fake – examining Apple's top reasons for using a Mac at work
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Front creates a place for teams to collaborate on customer communication
- This is the way forward for Apple device management
- The past, present, and future of Apple device management with Jeremy Butcher from Apple
- The State of the IT Admin with Tom Bridge
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.