In this week’s top stories: iOS 14 beta testing continues and iOS 13.7 beta testing begins, iPhone 12 rumors and leaks pick up steam, Apple wireless charger rumors, Apple vs Fortnite, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top stories.
The battle between Epic and Apple over App Store policies continued into this week. Following a hearing with lawyers for both companies, a judge ruled that Apple can’t terminate developer accounts relating to Epic’s other properties, such as other games and the Unreal Engine. The judge also determined that Apple does not have to put Fortnite back on the App Store.
Meanwhile, Epic continues to blame Apple for a variety of Fortnite gameplay changes for iPhone, iPad, and Mac users. The company confirmed this week that Fortnite gamers on Apple devices will miss out on future content updates as well as cross-platform multiplayer games.
Apple also followed through with its threat to terminate the Epic Games developer account used for Fortnite, find the details here.
This week also saw a handful of iPhone 12 rumors, pointing to possible support for 120hz display technology on the iPhone 12 Max. A leaked image also claimed to offer our first look at the iPhone 12 Pro Max, including a notch that is the same size as the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Read our full coverage of these iPhone 12 rumors here.
News also emerged this week of another Apple acquisition. A report from Protocol indicated that Apple has acquired the virtual reality startup Spaces. This company had been developing VR products and software, including a VR add-on for the Zoom video conferencing software.
Finally, it was a busy week for Apple beta testers. On Tuesday, Apple released the sixth developer and public betas of iOS 14, bringing a variety of small changes to iPhone and iPad users. You can find our full hands-on video with iOS 14 beta 6 right here.
In a surprise move, Apple also released the first developer beta of iOS 13.7 on Wednesday. This update has a key focus on expanding the COVID-19 Exposure Notification API, with Apple saying that it will allow users to opt-in to COVID-19 Exposure Notifications without the need to download an app from a local public health authority.
- Apple releases iOS 14 beta 6 to developers, here’s what’s new
- Apple releases iOS 14 public beta 6 with time picker changes, Spatial Audio toggle, more
- Apple releases iOS 13.7 beta with support for COVID-19 Exposure Notifications without downloading an app
- Apple Maps launches in-house ratings and photos system for points of interest
- Rumors: Images claim to show iPhone 12 Pro Max camera features, 120hz display settings, notch size
- AirPower ‘prototype’ teardown likely shows why Apple never shipped the wireless charger
- Bloomberg: Apple developing ‘less ambitious’ wireless charger following AirPower cancellation
- Drop Test: Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra’s new Gorilla glass impresses ahead of iPhone 12 launch
- TSMC indicates potential iPhone 12 performance and power efficiency improvements
- FCC makes more 5G spectrum available ahead of iPhone 12 launch
Apple Watch |
Mac and iPad |
- Alleged iPad Air 4 pamphlet shows new full-screen design, Touch ID power button, USB-C
- Rumor: Leaked schematics claim to show upcoming 10.8-inch iPad with USB-C and Face ID
Top Apple stories, retail |
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
- One-of-a-kind Marina Bay Apple Store prepares to open in Singapore
- Apple agrees to allow WordPress app on the App Store without In-App Purchases after update
- Apple has now terminated Epic’s App Store account following legal dispute between the two companies
- Epic’s latest legal filing targets Apple’s intent to cut off Unreal Engine, Microsoft joins in support
- Judge says Apple may not be required to allow Fortnite on the App Store
- Disney+ will offer early access to ‘Mulan’ on its iOS app through Apple’s In-App Purchases
- Apple updates iMovie for iPhone, iPad, and Mac with new filters, soundtracks, and more
- Epic says new Fortnite season won’t be released on Mac or iOS due to legal dispute with Apple
- Apple unveils Final Cut Pro X update with proxy workflow improvements, performance upgrades, more
Apple TV |
Top Apple stories, company |
- One sentence to summarise how well Warren Buffett has done from AAPL
- Apple and Tesla distort S&P 500 performance, says Jim Cramer
- Which U.S. states are using Apple’s Exposure Notification API for COVID-19 contact tracing?
- Apple reportedly acquires VR startup ‘Spaces’
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Hands-on with iOS 14 beta 6 changes and features [Video]
- Hands-on: 2020 iMac nano-texture glass display or glossy display? Which should you buy? [Video]
- DJI OM4: The new gold standard for smartphone gimbals [Video]
- Nomad Base Station Pro: The next step in wireless charging [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
Sponsored by Direct Mail: Create and send great looking email newsletters with Direct Mail, an easy to use email marketing app for the Mac. Get started for free and save 10% when you sign up for any pricing plan.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
9to5Toys (@9to5toys) / Twitter ProRes support for iPhone 13 Pro coming soon with an iOS update iPhone 13 Pro shipping estimates slip into October for pre-orders iPhone 13 pre-orders now live, here are the details Not sold on Series 7? Go save up to $140 on Apple Watch Series 6 instead iPad mini pre-order deals drop prices down to $459 Apple's official Leather MagSafe Wallet returns to Amazon low at $49.50
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Follow Blair: Twitter: @Blairaltland Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at email@example.com. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time Season 3 Coming Soon |
Here’s a quick update on the status of 9to5Mac Watch Time: Good news — season three is coming this fall! After a break during July and August, Watch Time will recalibrate and come back with a focus on marathon training with Apple Watch.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how the Apple Watch is affecting their lives. 9to5Mac Watch Time is available on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, and your favorite podcast player through RSS.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Rahul Matta Twitter @rmatta Twitter @TempoLog Blog indie.sh Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Toning down the Apple Watch: Tips and feature requests to avoid being overwhelmed Apple releases watchOS 7.4.1 with security improvements Apple Watch blood sugar and blood pressure measurement could be a step closer watchOS 7.4 brings iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Read More Apple TV+ / Fitness+
Apple Fitness+ expanding to 15 more countries, adding Group Workouts with SharePlay Apple TV+ Guide: Here are all the Apple TV shows and movies available now
iPad / iPad mini
Apple announces new entry-level iPad with screen, camera, and storage upgrades iPad mini benchmarks show slightly lower-power A15 chip inside than iPhone 13 iPad mini 6 tidbits: A15 chip, camera upgrades, no mmWave 5G, more All of the ways the new iPad mini is better than the iPad Air: cameras, processor, 5G, and more Comment: The star of yesterday’s Apple event was the new iPad mini
Apple Watch Series 7
Apple Watch Series 7 debuts with similar design, larger display, faster charging, new colors, more Apple Watch Series 7 and SE now come with USB-C cable; fast charging may not work with MagSafe Duo Apple Watch Series 7 FAQ: color comparisons, band compatibility, release date Apple Watch Series 7 has the same processor as last year’s Apple Watch Series 6 Apple releases all-new watch band collection in a wide variety of colors for Series 7
iPhone 13 / iPhone 13 mini
iPhone 13 pre-order process broken for many Apple Card, Apple Pay, and iUP shoppers iPhone 13 lineup now available to pre-order, first shipments arrive next week This is how Apple is removing the plastic wrap from iPhone 13 box iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro: 5 reasons to upgrade
iPhone 13 Pro / iPhone 13 Pro Max
iPhone 13 Pro shipping estimates slip into October for pre-orders ProRes support for iPhone 13 Pro ‘coming soon’ with a future iOS update iPhone 13 Pro Max with 1TB costs $1,599, iPhone XR and iPhone 12 Pro discontinued
Listen to more Happy Hour Episodes
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Listen to more 9to5 Podcasts
Stacktrace Apple @ Work Alphabet Scoop Electrek The Buzz Podcast Space Explored Rapid Unscheduled Discussions
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Happy Hour!
- iPhone 13, iPad mini, and Apple Watch Series 7 first impressions
- iPhone 13, Apple Watch Series 7 and more September Apple event expectations
- iPhone 13 satellite communication, Apple Watch production delays, App Store settlements
- Steve Jobs legacy, Apple Watch design changes, TestFlight on Mac
- iOS 15 Safari design reverted, Apple Watch Series 7 rumors, SharePlay delay
Stacktrace Podcast |
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
Combine John’s tip on how to visualize Combine output Apple’s “California Streaming” event video Ted Lasso
Subscribe 🟣 Apple Podcasts🟠 Overcast🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
Apple's 11 Reasons for running a Mac at work
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
- Real or Fake – examining Apple's top reasons for using a Mac at work
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Front creates a place for teams to collaborate on customer communication
- This is the way forward for Apple device management
- The past, present, and future of Apple device management with Jeremy Butcher from Apple
- The State of the IT Admin with Tom Bridge
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.