In this week’s top stories: iOS 14.4.1 brings important security fixes for iPhone users, the future of the iMac Pro and HomePod, Apple event rumored for March 28, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple stories.
March 23 Apple Event
Apple is rumored to have plans to hold its first event of the year on March 23. According to multiple leakers this week, the event will include the introduction of new products such as 2021 iPad Pros, AirTags, and more.
If Apple’s plans for a March 23 event come to fruition, we’d expect invites to go out to the press sometime over the next few days.
iMac Pro and HomePod discontinued
Apple has officially discontinued the iMac Pro, noting that the current stock is only available “while supplies last” and no future production is planned. All build to order configurations are no longer available.
Apple is believed to be introducing an all-new range of iMacs soon, featuring next-generation Apple silicon CPUs and GPUs. It’s unclear why exactly Apple has chosen to discontinue the iMac Pro right now, but it could be due to the availability of certain parts or supplies.
Second, Apple has also discontinued the full-size original HomePod without a replacement. The company now says it will focus on the HomePod mini going forward.
iOS 14.4.1 released
Apple this week released iOS 14.4.1 to the general public, bringing an important security fix. The company said that iOS 14.4.1 patches a vulnerability in WebKit, the browser engine that powers Safari and third-party browsers on iOS.
Apple explained that processing maliciously crafted web content may have lead to arbitrary code execution. The issue has been patched by addressing a memory corruption bug with improved validation.
Apple has also released iPadOS 14.4.1, watchOS 7.3.2, and macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 to address the same vulnerability.
Finally, a new supply chain report this week indicated that the new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models will not begin mass production until the second half of the year.
These models were originally planned to enter mass production in May/June timeframe, but that has been delayed. So while an announcement at WWDC had once seemed possible, this weeks report means we’ll likely be waiting a bit longer until sometime in the fall.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Apple releases iOS 14.4.1 with security updates for iPhone users
- When might Apple release iOS 14.5 to the public?
- 7 tips and tricks for typing faster and more accurately on your iPhone
- New Sonos Roam portable speaker officially unveiled with AirPlay 2, Qi charging, more
- iPhone 11 survived six months at the bottom of a lake [Video]
- Apple launches new page on its website highlighting carrier offers on iPhone 12 models
- T-Mobile will automatically enroll users into a new tracking program to show ‘relevant ads’
Apple Watch |
- Man who fell through ice in Somersworth was rescued thanks to his Apple Watch
- watchOS 7.3.2 security update with WebKit fix drops for Apple Watch
Mac and iPad |
- Apple discontinues iMac Pro, Apple Store says buy ‘while supplies last’
- Apple releases macOS Big Sur 11.2.3 with security updates for all users
- M1 Mac SSD wear probably a far smaller problem than it appears
- Apple patent application describes a simple way to boost battery life
- Everything we know about Apple’s rumored 2021 iPad Pro update
- How to use the Magic Keyboard shortcuts on the iPad Air and iPad Pro
Top Apple stories, retail |
- All 270 US Apple Stores are open for the first time since March 2020
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
- Poll: Do you prefer the leaked AirPods 3 design or the original?
- Opinion: AirPods 3 rumors suggest Apple is going all-in on AirPods Pro design, here’s why that’s bad
- Claimed photos provide another look at upcoming AirPods 3 (update: photos)
- Comment: It’s time for Apple to make its own accessories for AirPods
- New leaked photos of AirPods 3 show universal fit without interchangeable ear tips
- New AirPods Max firmware update fixes battery drain issues when in Smart Case
Apple Car |
- Toyota president warns Apple that it will need to provide 40 years of support for ‘Apple Car’
- Apple may use Foxconn or Magna as contract manufacturing partner for Apple Car
- BMW CFO downplays Apple Car threat, saying ‘I sleep very peacefully’
- Former Facebook employees detail how iOS 14 privacy features are affecting the company
- Developer tells how he became ineligible for the reduced App Store fees after a mistake
- Netflix asks password borrowers to get their own accounts in new test
AR/VR Headset |
- Kuo: Apple’s mixed-reality headset to feature 15 camera modules and ‘innovative biometrics’
- Mark Zuckerberg subtly criticizes Apple’s rumored AR and VR headset plans in new interview
- Kuo: Apple VR/AR headset in 2022 for $1000, AR glasses in 2025
AAPL Company |
- First Apple event of the year rumored for March 23rd: AirTags, AirPods, iPad Pro, Apple TV?
- Everything Apple could announce at its rumored March 23 event
- Amy Klobuchar, now Chair of Senate antitrust subcommittee, plans to investigate the App Store
- Apple sues former employee for stealing trade secrets, leaking information to the media
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Apple ‘Spring Loaded’ April Event: News Hub and Live Blog
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at email@example.com. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Sigmund Judge Twitter @sigjudge screentimes.net Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Another report claims iPhone 13 will use LTPO displays to enable ProMotion high-refresh rate Apple brings its 24-hour music video channel to the UK and Canada Apple TV+ plans to increase rate of original film production, hires ex-WarnerMedia film executive US senators accuse Apple of ‘abruptly' refusing to participate in App Store antitrust hearing Bloomberg: new 2021 iPad Pro coming later this month Apple chief compliance officer to appear at senate hearing on App Store antitrust Bloomberg: Apple developing connected TV box with integrated HomePod speaker and FaceTime camera Concept: Apple TV and HomePod would be a match made in tech heaven, here's what a mashup could look like Photo reveals new spring colors for iPhone 12 MagSafe case Siri says the next Apple event is on April 20: new iPad Pro expected Roku unveils new remote with dedicated Apple TV+ button, 'find my remote' feature Rumor: Leaked renders show strange new arrangement for iPhone 13 cameras Apple announces Louis Armstrong documentary Apple announces special event for April 20: 'Spring Loaded' Get ready for Apple's April 20th event with these colorful wallpapers Apple releases iOS 14.5 beta 8 to developers, public release expected soon Kuo: 'iPhone 14' lineup in 2022 will not include 5.4-inch mini size Kuo: iPhone 14 Pro to feature significant camera upgrades, including 48-megapixel sensor and 8K video recording 2023 iPhones will feature under-display Face ID and periscope telephoto lens, according to Ming-Chi Kuo Kuo: Apple AR headset to include 15 cameras Photo shows iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini notch, about ~30% smaller in width iOS 14.5: Apple Podcasts now automatically detects a show's release schedule Leaked photos reveal more new colors for Spring iPhone 12 MagSafe cases
- 'Spring Loaded' Apple iPad Pro event preview
- Find My third-party accessories, Apple Arcade+, iPhone 12 mini experience
- WWDC 2021 announced, rugged Apple Watch rumor, matte black iPhone 13 Pro
- macOS turns twenty, iPad multitasking, iPhone 13 rumors
- Goodbye HomePod, Thunderbolt iPad Pro, Apple’s aimless smart home strategy
Stacktrace Podcast |
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
Poker scorecard Play along with this episode’s poker game by filling in the score card and sharing it on Twitter or via email. Links
Rambo’s new microphone John’s podcasting equipment The Blue Yeti microphone Google Cloud Firebase HTTP URLSession curl Paw Protobuf Dave DeLong’s series on HTTP in Swift Managing URLs and endpoints in Swift Result builders Publish Annotating properties with result builder attributes
Subscribe: 🟣 Apple Podcasts 🟠 Overcast 🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
pCloud pCloud Backup pCloud for Business
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
- Mac backup technology with pCloud
- Zero-Touch deployment and why it's a key part of IT security
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Transforming iOS data entry and integrations with JotForm
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Stephen Hackett on leveraging podcast tech in the workplace
- Keeping email secure in a remote work world
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.