In this week’s top stories: New iPad Pro details, Apple Silicon iMacs coming soon, iOS 14.5 beta 5, and more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple stories.
Apple this week released iOS 14.5 and iPadOS 14.5 beta 5 to developers, and there are new references to an unannounced A14X processor included in these betas This comes as rumors suggest Apple could release new iPad Pros as soon as next month.
9to5Mac was able to discover that the A14X is likely to be based on the M1 processor currently used in the Mac mini, MacBook Pro, and MacBook Air. Check out our full report right here for more details.
Apple Watch Explorer Edition
A new report from Bloomberg this week indicated that Apple is developing a more rugged variant of the Apple Watch. This model could be released as soon as this year, and it would be positioned as being more durable than other Apple Watch models.
Internally, Apple is reportedly referring to this device as the “Explorer Edition” Apple Watch. While it could be coming this year, the report also noted that the project could be canceled altogether.
Apple Silicon iMacs
In the latest macOS Big Sur 11.3 beta, 9to5Mac discovered references to new unreleased iMac models. This comes as rumors indicate new Apple Silicon iMacs could be coming soon.
The new iMacs are identified within macOS as “iMac21,1” and “iMac21,2.” Unfortunately, we can’t discover much else about what to expect, but this is yet more evidence that new models are looming.
A new teardown this week revealed that the HomePod mini has a hidden and unused humidity and temperature sensor. As reported by Bloomberg, this sensor could be activated through a software update to provide new functionality to HomePod mini users.
The same Bloomberg report also mentioned in passing that Apple is developing new HomePod models with a screen, but details here remain unclear.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Apple claims iOS developers can bypass the App Store by creating web apps
- iOS 14.5 beta 5 now available to developers as public release nears
- Apple releases iOS 14.4.2 and iOS 12.5.2 to fix critical security vulnerability
- Brazil’s consumer protection regulator fines Apple $2M for not including charger in iPhone 12 box
- Rumor: New matte black color option for iPhone 13 Pro, LiDAR-enhanced Portrait mode
- Leaked image claims to show iPhone 13 front glass panels with smaller notch
- Apple once again highlights Ceramic Shield benefits in new iPhone 12 ‘Fumble’ ad
- iPhone 13 rumored to use LPTO displays from Samsung with 120Hz support
Apple Watch |
- OnePlus debuts its first Apple Watch competitor touting 2-week battery life and $159 price
- watchOS 7.4 beta 5 brings iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch closer to launch
- Apple Watch reviewed in 2015, revisited in 2021
Mac and iPad |
- iOS code reveals ‘A14X’ processor ahead of rumored iPad Pro upgrades
- Poll: Which rumored Apple Silicon iMac are you most excited about?
- Intel shows exactly what we expect from the next-generation MacBook Pro
- New Apple Silicon iMacs referenced in latest macOS Big Sur 11.3 beta
- MacBook university fraud sees sister and brother pocket $4M
- On 20th anniversary of Mac OS X, ‘an act of desperation’ at the time
- Judge certifies class action lawsuit against Apple over infamous MacBook butterfly keyboard
- Everything we know about Apple’s rumored 2021 iPad Pro update
- Former Apple VP Scott Forstall celebrates the 20th anniversary of Mac OS X on Twitter
Top Apple stories, retail |
- All 270 US Apple Stores are open for the first time since March 2020
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
AirPods and HomePod |
- Apple discontinues original HomePod
- Comment: Farewell HomePod, Apple’s most misunderstood product
- Comment: The state of Apple TV and end of HomePod warrants a Home strategy roundtable
- Apple promotes AirPods Pro in new ‘Jump’ ad ahead of rumored AirPods 3
- Poll: Do you think Apple will release a replacement for the discontinued HomePod?
- Concept: How Apple could combine the best of HomePod, Apple TV, and iPad to create the perfect smart display
- Apple AirPods 3 not launching until Q3, says Ming-Chi Kuo
- Leaker indicates AirPods 3 not launching in March, AirPods 2 to continue being sold
- Here are 5 smart speaker alternatives to fill the void left by Apple’s HomePod
- Apple turns AirPods Pro ‘Jump’ campaign into viral trend with new TikTok challenge
Tech Industry |
- The FCC no longer trusts ISPs: It wants you to describe your broadband service
- Experts say the giant ship stuck in the Suez Canal could affect supply of ‘anything you see in stores’
- PSA: Disney+ is getting more expensive; here’s how to lock in the original rate
- Apple releases Pages, Numbers, and Keynote updates with precise editing controls, updated media browser, more
- WhatsApp for iOS testing different playback speeds on voice messages
- ‘Reflector’ AirPlay mirroring app updated with M1 Mac and Big Sur support, new device frames, more
- Spotify updating iOS/Android app home screens with recently played, discover, and podcasts
- ‘Hue Sentiment’ is a new iOS app for adjusting Philips Hue smart lights based on your mood
- Magic the Gathering Arena now available for iPhone and iPad
AR/VR Headset |
- Kuo: Apple headset to have ultra-short focal length lenses and weigh less than 150 grams
- Kuo: 2022 Apple headset will track eye movement, blinking, and possibly authenticate users with iris recognition
AAPL Company |
- What to expect from Apple in Spring 2021: New iPad Pro, AirTags, and more
- HomePod mini reportedly includes room temperature and humidity sensor, could be enabled through software update
- Apple to pay more than $300 million after infringing DRM patent
- Opinion: Now is the time for Apple to release a new Apple TV
- Apple doubling down on supply chain security to prevent leaks, including biometric data collection
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- Review: Satechi Slim X1 – better than the Magic Keyboard in several ways [Video]
- Hands-on: Moment’s upcoming MagSafe accessories for iPhone 12 [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Apple announces $200 million investment fund for forest restoration projects Apple Pay with Express Transit support comes to San Francisco’s Clipper card Apple silicon supplier TSMC warns chip shortages will persist into 2022 Apple's official iPhone 11/Pro/Max cases now on sale from $14 (Save up to 64%) Razer’s Kishi MFi Controller Grip elevates iPhone gaming at $85 (New low), more from $70 Anker heads into the weekend with discounted iPhone and Android essentials from $11 9to5Toys (@9to5toys) / Twitter
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Follow Blair: Twitter: @Blairaltland Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at email@example.com. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Sigmund Judge Twitter @sigjudge screentimes.net Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Another report claims iPhone 13 will use LTPO displays to enable ProMotion high-refresh rate Apple brings its 24-hour music video channel to the UK and Canada Apple TV+ plans to increase rate of original film production, hires ex-WarnerMedia film executive US senators accuse Apple of ‘abruptly' refusing to participate in App Store antitrust hearing Bloomberg: new 2021 iPad Pro coming later this month Apple chief compliance officer to appear at senate hearing on App Store antitrust Bloomberg: Apple developing connected TV box with integrated HomePod speaker and FaceTime camera Concept: Apple TV and HomePod would be a match made in tech heaven, here's what a mashup could look like Photo reveals new spring colors for iPhone 12 MagSafe case Siri says the next Apple event is on April 20: new iPad Pro expected Roku unveils new remote with dedicated Apple TV+ button, 'find my remote' feature Rumor: Leaked renders show strange new arrangement for iPhone 13 cameras Apple announces Louis Armstrong documentary Apple announces special event for April 20: 'Spring Loaded' Get ready for Apple's April 20th event with these colorful wallpapers Apple releases iOS 14.5 beta 8 to developers, public release expected soon Kuo: 'iPhone 14' lineup in 2022 will not include 5.4-inch mini size Kuo: iPhone 14 Pro to feature significant camera upgrades, including 48-megapixel sensor and 8K video recording 2023 iPhones will feature under-display Face ID and periscope telephoto lens, according to Ming-Chi Kuo Kuo: Apple AR headset to include 15 cameras Photo shows iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini notch, about ~30% smaller in width iOS 14.5: Apple Podcasts now automatically detects a show's release schedule Leaked photos reveal more new colors for Spring iPhone 12 MagSafe cases
- 'Spring Loaded' Apple iPad Pro event preview
- Find My third-party accessories, Apple Arcade+, iPhone 12 mini experience
- WWDC 2021 announced, rugged Apple Watch rumor, matte black iPhone 13 Pro
- macOS turns twenty, iPad multitasking, iPhone 13 rumors
- Goodbye HomePod, Thunderbolt iPad Pro, Apple’s aimless smart home strategy
Stacktrace Podcast |
Sponsored by Linode: Get $100 in free credit to Develop, deploy, and scale your modern applications faster and easier.
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
Poker scorecard Play along with this episode’s poker game by filling in the score card and sharing it on Twitter or via email. Links
Rambo’s new microphone John’s podcasting equipment The Blue Yeti microphone Google Cloud Firebase HTTP URLSession curl Paw Protobuf Dave DeLong’s series on HTTP in Swift Managing URLs and endpoints in Swift Result builders Publish Annotating properties with result builder attributes
Subscribe: 🟣 Apple Podcasts 🟠 Overcast 🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
pCloud pCloud Backup pCloud for Business
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
- Mac backup technology with pCloud
- Zero-Touch deployment and why it's a key part of IT security
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Transforming iOS data entry and integrations with JotForm
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Stephen Hackett on leveraging podcast tech in the workplace
- Keeping email secure in a remote work world
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.