In this week’s top stories: New details on the iPhone 13 and beyond, an Apple Card controversy, new iOS 14.5 beta features and changes, and much more. Read on for all of this week’s top Apple stories.
Kuo on iPhone 13 and beyond
Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo this week shared a monster new investor note focused on what to expect not only from this year’s iPhone 13, but also from the iPhone 14 in 2022 and beyond in 2023.
For the iPhone 13 upgrades this year, Kuo says that the biggest design change will be the introduction of a smaller notch cutout. The iPhone 13 models will also reportedly feature larger batteries, 120Hz refresh displays, and more.
In 2022, Kuo believes that Apple will ditch the notch cutout completely, opting for a “punch-hole display” for the first time. This change would likely only come to the iPhone 13 Pro replacements at the high-end of the lineup. Kuo also believes that Apple will introduce a 5G iPhone SE in 2022.
Finally, in 2023, Kuo predicts that Apple could launch an 8-inch foldable iPhone as well as a full-screen iPhone with in-screen Touch ID without a notch or hole-punch design. These roadmaps could change, however, depending on Apple’s production roadmap.
Apple’s retail stores hit a milestone this week. For the first since March 2020, all 270 Apple Stores are open for the first time. Apple Stores still have a variety of health and safety measures in place, and some stores are only open for online order pickups. You can learn more about what to expect in our full coverage right here.
iOS 14.5 beta 3
Apple this week released iOS 14.5 beta 3 to developers and public beta users, and it continues to make refinements to the features and changes coming to iPhone users this spring.
One of the new features introduced with the first beta of iOS 14.5 was the ability to change the music player used for Siri commands, similar to what’s already available to HomePod users. This option is available once again with iOS 14.5 beta 3, but Apple says that it doesn’t want you to refer to this as “default music app support.”
The update also enables the new “Items” tab in the Find My app by default.
These and the rest of this week’s top stories below.
- Apple releases third public beta of iOS 14.5, here’s what’s new
- Apple doesn’t want you to call nebulous Siri audio feature in iOS 14.5 ‘default music app’ support
- iOS 14.5 beta 3 now available to developers with Music app changes and more
- iPhone & iPad: How to clear cache, history, and cookies
- Apple’s new tool lets you transfer iCloud Photos to Google Photos; here’s how it works
- ‘WidgetPod’ is a new iOS app that brings Now Playing widgets for Apple Music and Spotify
- Apple re-enables the option to change default music player for Siri requests with iOS 14.5 beta 3
- Bill Gates explains why he still prefers Android over iPhone during interview on Clubhouse
- iPhone 13 Pro replacement ditching notch with ‘punch-hole’ display, 5G iPhone SE next year
- Kuo: iPhone 13 series to feature smaller notch, 120Hz display, larger batteries, more
- Report: iPhone 13 to offer 1 TB storage option
- Brazil distributes enterprise iPhone SE devices to public prosecutors, and they aren’t happy
- Australian man takes legal action against Apple after his iPhone X ‘exploded’ in his pocket
- Kuo: iPhone 13 will be available in 5.4-inch ‘mini’ form factor
- Fresh report of two ultrawide lens improvements in iPhone 13
- Comment: Could we really see an iPhone punch-hole display next year?
Apple Watch |
- Everything we know so far about Apple Watch Series 7
- Apple Watch users can workout to unlock a virtual trophy on International Women’s Day
- watchOS 7.4 beta 3 with iPhone mask unlock feature for Apple Watch now available
- NASA’s Mars Perseverance rover is powered by an iMac G3 processor
- YouTuber creates ‘world’s first’ Apple Silicon iMac using M1 Mac mini parts [Video]
- A redesigned iMac with Apple Silicon is on the way, here’s what you need to know
- Apple may disable Rosetta 2 on M1 Macs in some regions, macOS 11.3 code suggests
- Apple discontinues iMac Pro, Apple Store says buy ‘while supplies last’
- Apple @ Work: A $99 low-cost Magic Keyboard would turn the iPad into a sub-$400 laptop
- Leaked image allegedly shows new Apple Pencil with glossy design
- 2021 iPad mini reports take an odd twist with sketchy iPad mini Pro rumor
Top Apple stories, retail |
- All 270 US Apple Stores are open for the first time since March 2020
- COVID-19: Which Apple Stores have reopened?
Apple TV |
- Sub $100 Apple TV keeps losing apps without a replacement on the market
- How to watch the new Billie Eilish documentary ‘The World’s a Little Blurry’ on Apple TV+
- AT&T increasing prices for legacy DirecTV Now and AT&T TV Now plans by $10 per month
- Plex’s free streaming video service officially adds integration with Apple’s TV app
- Apple TV+ ‘Truth Be Told’ filming shut down by protestors in LA
- Twitter CFO says Apple is ‘leveling the playing field’ with iOS 14 privacy changes
- Scott Forstall asked Pandora to develop its app with jailbroken iPhones before the App Store
- Some iOS apps are leaking data due to misconfigured cloud services, research shows
AAPL Company |
- M1 Mac user says Apple ID held hostage when payment failed
- Apple confirms it does not hold your Apple ID hostage due to missed Apple Card payment
- As Apple AR headset rumors gain traction, Microsoft details the future of its HoloLens platform
- Warren Buffett praises AAPL stock in annual letter, Berkshire’s stake now valued at $120 billion
Subscribe to 9to5Mac’s YouTube channel for more videos.
This week’s top videos |
- The Rewind: M1 Mac mini diary – my favorite Apple product of the moment [Video]
- Hands-on: iOS 14.5 beta 3 changes and features [Video]
9to5Mac Daily |
Listen to a recap of the top stories of the day from 9to5Mac. 9to5Mac Daily is available on iTunes and Apple’s Podcasts app, Stitcher, TuneIn, Google Play, or through our dedicated RSS feed for Overcast and other podcast players.
New episodes of 9to5Mac Daily are recorded every weekday. Subscribe to our podcast in iTunes/Apple Podcast or your favorite podcast player to guarantee new episodes are delivered as soon as they’re available. Stories discussed in this episode:
Apple officially announces Apple Card Family for sharing with family members Apple introduces Podcasts Subscriptions to pay creators for content in redesigned app New M1 iMacs come with color-matched braided USB-C to Lightning cable Touch ID Magic Keyboard only available with iMacs but compatible with all M1 Macs iOS 14.5 coming to iPhone and iPad 'next week'
Enjoy the podcast?: Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Daily! Follow Chance: Twitter: @ChanceHMiller Listen & Subscribe:
Apple Podcasts Overcast RSS Stitcher TuneIn Google Play
Share your thoughts! Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also rate us in Apple Podcasts or recommend us in Overcast to help more people discover the show!
9to5Mac Watch Time |
Jeff Benjamin joins Zac Hall to give Apple Watch Series 3 and Series 5 an exit interview before new models are announced. 9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives.
9to5Mac Watch Time is a podcast series hosted by Zac Hall. In this series, we talk to real people about how Apple Watch is affecting their lives. Subscribe now to catch up with each episode and automatically hear new episodes as soon as they’re released every two weeks: 🟣 Apple Podcasts | 🟠 Overcast | 🟢 Spotify Follow Zac Instagram @apollozac Twitter @apollozac SpaceExplored.com Follow Sigmund Judge Twitter @sigjudge screentimes.net Follow 9to5Mac Instagram @9to5mac Twitter @9to5mac Facebook YouTube.com/9to5Mac Listen & Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Spotify Overcast RSS
Enjoy the podcast? Shop Apple at Amazon to support 9to5Mac Watch Time!
9to5Mac Happy Hour Podcast |
Follow Zac Hall @apollozac Benjamin Mayo @bzamayo Subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify
Another report claims iPhone 13 will use LTPO displays to enable ProMotion high-refresh rate Apple brings its 24-hour music video channel to the UK and Canada Apple TV+ plans to increase rate of original film production, hires ex-WarnerMedia film executive US senators accuse Apple of ‘abruptly' refusing to participate in App Store antitrust hearing Bloomberg: new 2021 iPad Pro coming later this month Apple chief compliance officer to appear at senate hearing on App Store antitrust Bloomberg: Apple developing connected TV box with integrated HomePod speaker and FaceTime camera Concept: Apple TV and HomePod would be a match made in tech heaven, here's what a mashup could look like Photo reveals new spring colors for iPhone 12 MagSafe case Siri says the next Apple event is on April 20: new iPad Pro expected Roku unveils new remote with dedicated Apple TV+ button, 'find my remote' feature Rumor: Leaked renders show strange new arrangement for iPhone 13 cameras Apple announces Louis Armstrong documentary Apple announces special event for April 20: 'Spring Loaded' Get ready for Apple's April 20th event with these colorful wallpapers Apple releases iOS 14.5 beta 8 to developers, public release expected soon Kuo: 'iPhone 14' lineup in 2022 will not include 5.4-inch mini size Kuo: iPhone 14 Pro to feature significant camera upgrades, including 48-megapixel sensor and 8K video recording 2023 iPhones will feature under-display Face ID and periscope telephoto lens, according to Ming-Chi Kuo Kuo: Apple AR headset to include 15 cameras Photo shows iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 mini notch, about ~30% smaller in width iOS 14.5: Apple Podcasts now automatically detects a show's release schedule Leaked photos reveal more new colors for Spring iPhone 12 MagSafe cases
- 'Spring Loaded' Apple iPad Pro event preview
- Find My third-party accessories, Apple Arcade+, iPhone 12 mini experience
- WWDC 2021 announced, rugged Apple Watch rumor, matte black iPhone 13 Pro
- macOS turns twenty, iPad multitasking, iPhone 13 rumors
- Goodbye HomePod, Thunderbolt iPad Pro, Apple’s aimless smart home strategy
Stacktrace Podcast |
Gui on Twitter: @_inside John on Twitter: @johnsundell
Publish Annotating properties with result builder attributes Links
Apple’s “Spring Loaded” event John’s iPad external display demo
Subscribe: 🟣 Apple Podcasts 🟠 Overcast 🟢 Spotify If you have any feedback about the show, feel free to reach out on Twitter or send us an email.
Apple @ Work Podcast |
pCloud pCloud Backup pCloud for Business
Connect with Bradley
Listen and subscribe
Apple Podcasts Overcast Spotify Pocket Casts Castro RSS
- Mac backup technology with pCloud
- Zero-Touch deployment and why it's a key part of IT security
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Transforming iOS data entry and integrations with JotForm
- Apple @ Work Podcast: Stephen Hackett on leveraging podcast tech in the workplace
- Keeping email secure in a remote work world
Subscribe to get all 9to5Mac’s stories delivered to your inbox daily. And to 9to5Toys for the best deals from around the web.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.